Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Another Double Sided tape Inquiry

On those Peskey Double Side tape removers wheels - would you say this IS the tool for wheels . Wheels are Powdercoated, so while and weights get put inside the barrel so what marring is produced is not negliable

Let`s say you bring a set of wheels to get new tires.
    Pay the gent $20 and say can I just have 5 minutes with these wheels so I can remove the tape off them ?

You know, in those situations where they might even have to put a weight on a area where they have removed the old weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Double Sided tape Inquiry

Are you asking what the best tool is to remove stick-on weights from wheels? I think probably the 3M adhesive remover is a good choice to remove the residue after you`ve got the weight off, I`m anxious to see what people recommend for a tool for the weight as I`ve never been happy with using screwdrivers, etc. I`m thinking maybe a plastic putty knife might be a good choice but I don`t have any experience using that.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/3m-a...l#.W8U5wWhKi70

Post Thanks / Like

They make a plastic wheel weight removal tool. A bunch of companies make them and different styles. That and 3M adhesive remover will do the trick

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I have no idea what you`re asking… Marinating A weight in goo gone for about 30 minutes, constantly applying every five minutes makes them fall off, No problem. 20# Braid fishing line will cut them off easily.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    They make a plastic wheel weight removal tool. That and 3M adhesive remover will do the trick
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    . 20# Braid fishing line will cut them off easily.
    Great input!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, what is the best efficient tool but given the application/scenario -

Aka, you get new set of rubber
    You`re at the tire shop
    Tip the dude lik $20 so you make him wait after he`s pulled your`re tire off so you can *do a quick rush job* on removing the wheel weight while the wheel is off the car

Surely you can do this at home, but oftentimes the weight ends up in the same/similar spot of where the old weight is.

Yes, I`ve time new tires when I`m on snow tires and am putting summer tires on a different set of wheels.
    Makes sense ?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll chime in on this one (I think I might each time it comes up) as I`m one of the dudes who does tires (though as an Autopian I clear the stick`m from the weights I remove, if not all of the old residue the last guys left if the car looks cared for).

Once you get it down, it`s really not a long process (couple minutes per wheel).

- I usually just use a plastic "bone" tool used for interior trim to remove the old weight. (Google: CRL216)
    - Next, take your adhesive remover (+1 vote for the 3M product), apply to a rag.
    - Take your rag and apply it to your adhesive, with the goal of soaking the foam to break it down.
    - Using a plastic razor blade or rag, rub the adhesive stuck to the wheel and it will start to let go.
    - Apply more adhesive remover by rag as needed to remove the last of it.

I`ve got a bone tool I cut in half and filed the edge to act as a scraper to lift the adhesive during the process as it`s easier to use for production work than a plastic razor blade. Looking in my toolbox, I`ve got a couple extra I could let go, first couple folks that PM me your address and I`ll throw on in an envelope and send it your way.

Mobiledynamics - Hopefully they`re cool and let you back to get`m cleaned up while the guy is working on the other tires.
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Soak it with 3M Adhesive Remover (figure out a way to hold a soaked cloth/paper towel on the weights for a little while) and pry (if necessary) with either an Orange Wood Cuticle Stick (previously soaked with a QD like M34) or a plastic razor blade. Just did it again this year on the Tahoe`s wheels. If you`re not DIYing it, give the stuff to the guy (you *DO* have ample reason to trust him, right?!?) and make sure he does it the way you want. I gave a can of the (pre-VOC) 3M to my Audi tech just so he`d always have some on hand.

EDIT: Gee, deja vu all over again! I could swear we had this exact same thread not too long ago Gee, must just be me, but still....kinda freaky.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to remove it as fast a possible and since the wheels are removed from the car giving you full access, a rubber pinstripe removal wheel would remove the tape quickly, like < 1 min (I like the 3M wheel the best). Then a wipe with an adhesive remover to clean up any residue left behind. The tire technician won`t be sitting around waiting for you to soak the tape in remover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    The tire technician won`t be sitting around waiting for you to soak the tape in remover.
    My inner smart [aleck] thinks "..the tech will be sitting around waiting, having done it himself" but yeah...that kind of thing depends on going to a place where they`ll do it your way. Which is one of the big challenges when you can`t pull the wheels and DIY this stuff before having the new tires mounted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    If you want to remove it as fast a possible and since the wheels are removed from the car giving you full access, a rubber pinstripe removal wheel would remove the tape quickly, like < 1 min (I like the 3M wheel the best). Then a wipe with an adhesive remover to clean up any residue left behind. The tire technician won`t be sitting around waiting for you to soak the tape in remover.
    I only hesitate to recommend the removal wheel since they`re $20-35, and not something you`ll be breaking out often. I stick to my guns that soaking the tape isn`t a drawn out process, and you can find other uses for the can of adhesive remover outside of tire changes.

Just my 2 cents
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beside wheel weight adhesive tape, you can use the wheel for pinstripe removal (obviously), and removal of the dealer sticker that`s usually on the back of the trunk lid. I use mine to remove that dealer sticker all the time. They last a very long time too. It was money well spent for me. I soon as a wore the first one I purchased down I bought a new one. I haven`t been without one for probably 15 years.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I can DIY@home once the whole affair is over, however if one looks closely...sometimes new weights goe where old weights go.
    Hence, i was thinking I would literally do this@ the shop. My tire guys know me, but it`s a hustle and bustle business. Gotta pay off the 50K+ alignment rack somehow

So you see a line of where old sticker weight where and along that same line is new weight.
    Getting new rubber. (I change them out way too often but it`s the 4 things the size of dinner plates that are holding you down to the road). I flip the old ones to recoup some coin, but the costs IMO are marginable in the grand scheme of things...I literally am buying tars around 18-19 month mark. I like fresh rubber...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Sure, I can DIY@home once the whole affair is over, however if one looks closely...sometimes new weights goe where old weights go.
    Any tire guy should be ashamed if they put new weights over old adhesive - that`s shoddy work.

Same for rebalancing wheels without removing the old weights, or having weights in multiple inboard or outboard spots (1 inboard/1 outboard is normal; multiple inboard or outboard means they misplaced their first weight and just kept adding weight instead of correcting their mistake, UNLESS they`re hiding outboard weights behind spokes). I`ve seen a lot of bad tire work...
    Likes DBAILEY, Farmall-luvr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just checked my phone . More like 1 inch over but dang close enough. Ughh...who ever rebalance with old weights. I guess u have seen it all....

i got 2 good tire guys and 1 great alignments guy. Pricey though so I alway make sure no front or backend work is needed so I’m p1zzing money away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information