Post Thanks / Like

Kia Stinger Paint

Starting to look for the next car. Love my current 3 series, but I have a hunch some big upkeep bills are coming and not sure I can justify putting the money into it.

Never thought I would be so intrigued by a Kia (yes I said Kia). Been doing some research and test drove a Stinger GT. WOW!! Quick summary - 365 hp AWD twin turbo v6, drives like a German car, has all the bells and whistles, can be modded just like an n54 BMW engine (aka I understand it and it is super easy to add 100+ HP), has a super warranty and will likely be 15 - 20k less than any European comparison. It really is a nice car.

That said - anybody work on Kia paint? Any comparison between Kia and Genesis paint (the g70 is on my list as well)? It didn`t seem all that impressive in the showroom. Don`t think it would be a deal breaker, but would like an idea of what I am getting into.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kia Stinger Paint

The Kia that I have seen have had no issues other than dealership inflicted problems. The Asian cars are on the thin side.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustWife`s 2014 Kia Sportage has paint readings in the 120 micron range. Some spots higher, some lower. The lowest reading I saw was 109.

I would say the paint is a bit more stout than the Honda and Toyotas I`ve worked on. Keep in mind, I`m not a pro and don`t work on tons of cars.

Post Thanks / Like

OP, how about the Genesis G70 Sport (I think that’s what it’s called), it’s the Genesis version of the Stinger but has a short wheelbase than the Stinger and is more akin to the 3 Series.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the Kia`s that I have worked, I agree that the paint is not as soft as other Asian manufacturers. I would say its in the medium range. The surface texture has had very little orange peel. Very smooth like a Toyota or Honda.

Post Thanks / Like

The yellow Limited Edition Stinger I did actually had pretty nice paint on it and polished out well with minimal factory defects.

That being said the yellow ones had a recall that required all metal panels to be repainted due to delaminating paint.

I was impressed with the car though and I`m also eyeing the G70.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    OP, how about the Genesis G70 Sport (I think that’s what it’s called), it’s the Genesis version of the Stinger but has a short wheelbase than the Stinger and is more akin to the 3 Series.
    None of the dealers around me have them yet. It is on the list as well, but I really like the look and functionality of the stinger. The ownership experience of the g70 is likely better because the brand is catering to current bmw/audi/mb owners (aka me).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    None of the dealers around me have them yet. It is on the list as well, but I really like the look and functionality of the stinger. The ownership experience of the g70 is likely better because the brand is catering to current bmw/audi/mb owners (aka me).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    jatleson ---

Wow what a nice car !
    I have never Detailed one or sat in one..
    They look like a great alternative to the German cars, of which I have had a few new ones, including an M..

I just learned something yesterday that I want to share with you for future reference..
    My friend the Clear Bra guy had a Kia Stinger (don`t know the color) in his shop recently, and he learned a very hard lesson about the deck lid..

He was cleaning something off of the Kia Stinger deck lid with 3M adhesive remover, left the soaked rag (I would have never used a soaked rag) on the deck lid too long and it stuck to the paint, soaked through it, to the Plastic Composite deck lid and ruined that... Major bummer...

If you measure all the panels with a meter, this panel would of course not measured unless you had the most expensive DeFelsko meter, and that would have been a clue to you to be really extra careful with that paint, because this panel will also not dissipate heat anywhere close to how easy a metal panel does ...

I dont know if Kia uses Plastic Composite panels anywhere else, but if they do, you need to be aware of them and be more careful introducing chemicals or heat into those places..
    Dan F
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Thread Information