Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Barn roof aluminum paint overspray removal help

I have a client with a Black crewcab duramax that was getting his barn roof repainted and now his truck has silver overspray all over it. I did a test spot last night with an SM Arnold Medium prep pad on the PC7424 and it is removing some of it but not all of it after going over a 2` x 2` area for several minutes at speed 2. I have plastic razor blades but it will take way to long to try to pop off every speck off by hand.

Any chemical suggestions that will be safe on trim and paint?

Is clay and prep pad my best (safest) bet for removal?

I`m concerned about trying to polish them off and causing more swirls due to the aluminum based paint. I suppose frequent pad cleaning and changing pads will work. I`m planning on tossing the pads after this job regardless because I won`t trust them on another vehicle.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barn roof aluminum paint overspray removal help

I would try to find out what paint was used and what is recommended for cleanup before and after it has dried. Maybe you`ll be lucky and mineral spirits will cut it, that should be safe on the paint and on most of the trim, also.
    Likes Stokdgs, Farmall-luvr liked this post
    Thanks audicoupej thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I would try to find out what paint was used and what is recommended for cleanup before and after it has dried. Maybe you`ll be lucky and mineral spirits will cut it, that should be safe on the paint and on most of the trim, also.
    I tried but the owner cannot get a response from the painting company. It looks like it will be an insurance/court issue dealing with the money aspect of things.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wanted to update this thread. Mineral spirits is working great. Thanks to Setec for suggesting it.

I am working on this truck in my spare time so I can only do sections at a time but so far so good. The mineral spirits is taking it off everything, glass, paint, trim. The texture trim takes the longest but it is working. I was concerned about the aftermarket painted fender flares and the PPF but those are doing fine. My method is do a section then immediately wash with McKees N-914 just to be safe. I am using some Sams club microfibers that I`m going to toss after use. I`m not paying much attention to any marring since I will be polishing it afterwards but so far i haven`t noticed much if any. Once I have time I will post some pictures.
    John

Likes Stokdgs, DBAILEY, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That must suck. Cause it`s not just paint but alum flakes in that sorta paint..

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some before pictures that the owner sent me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Worked some more on it tonight. Here’s the hood before and after.

John

Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cleans up great!

Think that the owner will be thrilled that you did sorted it out. Without going crazy aggressive with it. And you get a squeeqe clean paint to polish on too LOL.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Cleans up great!

Think that the owner will be thrilled that you did sorted it out. Without going crazy aggressive with it. And you get a squeeqe clean paint to polish on too LOL.

/Tony
    Thanks Tony. He is very happy that it`s cleaning up. I ordered some Kamikaze Miyabi and ISM to protect it with after all overspray is removed and I polish it. It`s going to be quite the change from how he dropped it off.
    John

Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Made some more progress tonight. Finally finished the paint, trim and tonneau cover. Time for the wheels

John

Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

audiocoupej:
    Great works on the truck. The pictures speak for themselves.
    Just be careful about working the coating in with the price of the removal of the overspray and correction. Insurance companies look at things in a much different light than what detailers deem as necessary to correcting and protecting a "properly" detailed vehicle.
    I am curious what you use for a polishing machine, pads, and compound and polishes that you will be using to finish out this job.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    audiocoupej:
    Great works on the truck. The pictures speak for themselves.
    Just be careful about working the coating in with the price of the removal of the overspray and correction. Insurance companies look at things in a much different light than what detailers deem as necessary to correcting and protecting a "properly" detailed vehicle.
    I am curious what you use for a polishing machine, pads, and compound and polishes that you will be using to finish out this job.
    Thanks Lonnie. The owner paid me directly so that was not an issue.

The paint on this truck is soft and sticky so polishing it was a major headache.

I use a Hitachi rotary with various sized backing plates and sides ranging from 1”-6”.
    My final combo was Rupes yellow with Sonax perfect finish to cut the factory paint. This left behind some marring/holograms. I had to finished with white lake country and in some areas either a black lake country or red hydro tech using PO85RD.

Here is a door after rupes yellow and Sonax perfect finish. The line is PPF.

Here it is after final polishing.

The aftermarket fender flares were beat up pretty well as this truck does go off-road and is used as a truck. The paint was much harder than the factory paint. I 3 stepped them to get them as good as I felt safe doing.
    I used a cyan hydrotech with Jescar correcting compound followed by tangerine with Sonax perfect finish and that left them looking pretty good but I followed with a white lake country and PO85RD

Not perfect but far better than they were

Before

After first step

After coating

Didn’t have much sun for outside shots. These are the best I could do.

The truck is wearing Kamikaze Miyabi, ISM2.0, and overcoat 2.1 or whatever it is. Wheel faces received McKee’s 37 wheel coating. Glass received aquapel. Trim has ISM2.0.

John

Likes Lonnie, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that was a tremendous amount of work, all together. Glad it turned out well.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Wow, and WOW!
    After seeing pics of your end result and answering my questions about the polishing machine , pads, and compounds/polishes you used to achieve the results that you did, I will assume you are a professional detailer or at least a very hard-core hobbyist. The vehicle side lift in one of the photos AND the use of the Hitachi rotary are a dead give-aways to my assumption, not to mention the results as pictured.

I hope you get some referrals and direct business (AKA, PAYING customers, not just "interested parties") from the client as a result of this experience.
    Again, thanks for posting the pictures and answering my questions; they speak for themselves about your detailing abilities.

I also noticed that, as you stated, the truck not "perfect" and some RIDS that were left behind. Come on, its a truck that I am sure the owner uses it as a daily driver and in outdoor situations ( like work-and-play (hunting,fishing, four-wheeling). Anyone who owns a black vehicle KNOWS it is difficult, if not impossible, to keep it clean and pristine. That`s the price you pay for that color as a daily driver. I should know (better), as I drive a black 2006 Ford Freestyle that was my now deceased mother`s vehicle (Hey, it came that way).
    GB detailer
    Thanks audicoupej thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie,

Thank you for the kind words. I’m always striving to improve my skills and products and knowledge/techniques evolve. The owner has 4 black vehicles I see often. He also refers people to me constantly. So he is a great client. He was floored when he picked up the truck. He said it looked better than it did new.

I started getting interested in cleaning cars before I could drive. I would wash and wax my parents cars. I stepped up to the Meguiars 3 step by hand in high school and in college I bought a PC7424 and taught myself machine polishing. Eventually the PC wasn’t enough for me so I bought a rotary around 12 years ago. I actually sought out some brief training from an old autopia member Thomas DeKany, who I lived near at the time. He showed me some stuff one night when I stopped by his house and I taught myself the rest with help from great sites like autopia and autogeek. I’ve been detailing professionally around the same amount of time.

I also enjoy working on cars so when I bought my new house it had a 40x30 pole barn and I had to buy a lift. The lift has paid for itself many times over.

Here is my car about to get some love over the summer.

John

Likes SWETM, Lonnie liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information