Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

2 year ceramic vs carnuba test

so 2 years ago i had half my RR done in ceramic by one of the best detailers around the metro NYC area and the other half was done the old fashion way: clay, clean, glaze, carnuba.
    Since then, as its a daily driver, ive had the car hand washed as well as run through car washes. i dont know which side was done with ceramic and which was done in carnuba as i had the detailer hold this info back from me.

the first pic is was taken shortly after the detail in sept 2016. the other 2 pics are from a couple weeks ago. can you tell which side has the ceramic? i cant.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 year ceramic vs carnuba test

Are the newer pics right after a wash or is it rain water? I would assume the last wash applied some sort of protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you been using a spray wax or any other wax / detailer on the vehicle?

If yes are you using it over the coating as well?

Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind many car washes, especially the higher priced option ones are adding something/protection to the paint that will make water bead up.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

newer pics are right after the rain, just like first pic.

no ppf on that car.

i dont wash the cars but since 2 years ago ive only had hand washes and splash car washes.

its hard for me to understand spending $2500 on ceramic on top of ppf which is temporary and gets replaced every few years.

Post Thanks / Like

The point I was getting as is that whomever is washing your vehicle is using some kind of spray wax -or- protection over top of the entire vehicle essentially covering up the look and abilities of the coating while also making everything look them same as far a beading and sheeting.

Personally I don`t know of a single "wax" product that could last 2 years on a daily driven vehicle that had only be washed with a soap and not have anything else applied.
    Thanks Stokdgs, tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

still renders the ceramic useless from how i see it

Post Thanks / Like

Let me get this straight. You had a carnauba wax applied two years ago and you did nothing but wash it for 2 years and it is still beading, on a daily driver? I have never heard of a wax that lasted 1 year much less 2. Can you tell us the brand of the wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes thats right.
    Zymol hd clense followed by 3m imperial hand glaze followed by zymol carbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Let me get this straight. You had a carnauba wax applied two years ago and you did nothing but wash it for 2 years and it is still beading, on a daily driver? I have never heard of a wax that lasted 1 year much less 2. Can you tell us the brand of the wax?
    As I noted above, the automatic car washes have chemicals in them that will make water bead like that, so in no way is the above photos and indication that the original wax is still there.

Likes Tc99m, Stokdgs, Oneheadlite, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

In the 60 years I have been around vehicles Detailing, Painting, etc., I have never seen any wax product last longer than a few weeks. Some of the more hybrid wax products (Finish Kare 1000, Collenite 845) seem to last longer, but I have never seen or heard of any product of this type (carnauba wax) lasting a year or 2 years with the vehicle being outside and used during that time span..
    Glazes of course last even less time, and are easily washed off..
    Of course, garage queens that never go out much less ever get uncovered from their baby-soft indoor car covers, will have products lasting longer, but the vehicle is not ever taken outside, so no real durability test here..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what u guys are saying but it refutes using ceramics especially given the crazy prices no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Well,the first time I coated all our personal vehicles (5), using Optimum Opti-Guard, I personally went 4.5 years on my Black Grand Cherokee, drove multiple several thousand mile trips through rain, sleet, snow, sand, (in AZ), (Washington State - California - Arizona - New Mexico - to Texas, and back) and never, ever, had to do anything to "recharge", "refresh", "supercharge", et. al., the coating.. All I ever did was hand wash it, and when Carpro Reset was invented, I started using that, and this product really helped remove all the gunk that sticks to whatever is on the car, and the coating, even in the 4th year, looked and acted really better..
    So if time is money and I did nothing but wash the car, I believe I got a really great deal..
    Dan F
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What are your expectations from a ceramic coating?

And what are your expectations from a wax?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Well,the first time I coated all our personal vehicles (5), using Optimum Opti-Guard, I personally went 4.5 years on my Black Grand Cherokee, drove multiple several thousand mile trips through rain, sleet, snow, sand, (in AZ), (Washington State - California - Arizona - New Mexico - to Texas, and back) and never, ever, had to do anything to "recharge", "refresh", "supercharge", et. al., the coating.. All I ever did was hand wash it, and when Carpro Reset was invented, I started using that, and this product really helped remove all the gunk that sticks to whatever is on the car, and the coating, even in the 4th year, looked and acted really better..
    So if time is money and I did nothing but wash the car, I believe I got a really great deal..
    Dan F
    Is OptiGuard Optimum’s pro type coating? The one they sell now Optigloss doesn’t get any love at all. I was just getting into hardcore detailing when they pulled OptiGuard. Has anyone used Optigloss? Pro only coatings kind of pi## me off, but if manufacturers want to sell to a limited clientele who am I to stop them? It must work as a business model.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information