Post Thanks / Like

Towels and Removing Coatings

I recently applied Cquartz coating, I noticed the directions say to throw away your microfiber after removal. Is everyone really doing this? Is the worry that the coating will leave something hard on the towel that will scratch the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Towels and Removing Coatings

they get hard crystals and will scratch paint yes, some say if you toss them immediately into a bucket with water and some APC or something you can keep that from happening. I don`t know if this works, me personally I throw em, and the consensus from most is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a pack off 250gsm towels from rag company for about 1$ a piece. I looks at the cost as part of the whole package used about 8 for removal (1st towel) And tosses those. Used 350gsm for 2nd wipe/buff and washed those and those seem to be good. Used again with no ill affects but those 1st wipe ones I tossed.

Note: I did wash one and it seem to come out fine. No crustiness and on inspection couldn’t find anything wrong but still tossed. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used to immediately toss into bucket w soap/cleaner, never had any issues. With the 300gsm eagle edgeless being so cheap though, now I just toss `em in trash.

Use about 4 to 6 per vehicle, less than $10.
    Likes tom p., Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I throw them in a bucket of water/APC right away but they are then delegated to wiping jambs out and other dirtier jobs. I`ve also used them for ONR washing my own cars and haven`t noticed any issues. If you don`t put them in the bucket with APC right away though they may repel water. If I see that I toss them.
    Likes DBAILEY, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As stated before, the crystals will harden on the towels which will scratch paint. It is recommended that you don`t use them on paint after removal of the ceramic coating. I have a separate container that I throw them in for grunt work around the garage, cleaning up spills, etc.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I used to immediately toss into bucket w soap/cleaner, never had any issues. With the 300gsm eagle edgeless being so cheap though, now I just toss `em in trash.

Use about 4 to 6 per vehicle, less than $10.
    Hopefully this question makes sense...
    Is this something most detailers factor into the cost of applying a coating to a customers vehicle? I mean if the towels do in fact become scrap afterwards could t that cost be added to the package cost somehow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Is this something most detailers factor into the cost of applying a coating to a customers vehicle? I mean if the towels do in fact become scrap afterwards could t that cost be added to the package cost somehow?

I`d imagine you would, may as well figure in all costs. Dunno for sure cuz I ain`t no pro! Every vehicle I do costs me money Towels and Removing Coatings
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I`d imagine you would, may as well figure in all costs. Dunno for sure cuz I ain`t no pro! Every vehicle I do costs me money Towels and Removing Coatings
    Lol! Yeah I’m still very new to “actual” car care....I have no desire to get to the point of being pro, but I do enjoy watching the videos of the you tube guys who are successful and speak on how they run their business. I just can’t say as if I ever heard the microfiber towel subject come up anywhere yet

Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post

For cheapie coating removal towels my price. They don`t effect my price, I`d *like* to charge for them. but

"how much would you charge to coat my BMW?"
    "$310 dollars"

To me it just sounds like an oddball amount. While I would like to not lose $10 on the towels, $300`s a better number to give customers. The next logic step in my mind would be charging $350, but I`m also factoring in competing with other detailers.
    You`re also going to have to factor in whatever paint prep you use and applicators and towels, all those little things will add up. I`m going to start using a kit that includes everything, but it only comes with 2 removal towels, which IMHO isn`t enough. Welp, I don`t think it`s enough I know some of the OCD fellows on here use like 6-8 removal towels. Most companies that sell coatings don`t sell complete kits either.

TLR - I factor everything I use to coat a car to come up with my price, then I round down or up so it ends in either 00 or 50.

question for people who do coatings often, could you ever finish a car with only 2 removal towels? I ask because the kits I see with 2 towels, well imho a kit should be suffice to do an entire car without adding anything. But I don`t know if 2 is even do-able.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done this and it seems to work, at least for me. I will add a strong dose of Micro Restore in a bucket filled with water. After each towel is used I toss it into the bucket. After I am done coating, I will wash the towels again with more Micro Restore.

All the towels I have done this for have turned out fine after a wash with coatings from Cquartz, Gyeon, GTechniq, Optimum, Drexler. I have even used them back on paint before and noticed no scratching in my testing. In most cases I will relegate them to other jobs like Rasky pointed out. I have even used them for wheel coatings.

Take it for what it is worth as I am not telling you to do this.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes RaskyR1, BudgetPlan1, SWETM, Marine Clerk liked this post

Thread Information