Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: really struggling with paint inspection / swirl detection

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I’ve found I really haven’t had to compromise on any of the other tasks we do in the shop.
    Sorry, wasn`t directed at you. When I designed my garage I wanted it to be nice and bright because it`s a garage first and detail shop second. I don`t do many interior jobs now days but I wanted it bright for when I do. I also do all my own mechanical work so it`s nice having it bright for that as well. It`s pretty amazing how much a darker color on the walls, ceiling, and floor can change the light in a room. Just redoing my floor with color chips made it noticeably darker looking then with the solid light grey I originally had.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Maybe was a generalsation from me. With what most use their wall mounted lights or a cheaper flash light with well under the 90 CRI. As a home detailer. With different inspection light you have a better way to spot different defects.

Wondering if there is a sweet spot with the CRI value to catch a larger amount of different defects?
    Think I have read somewhere that it`s recommended to have a CRI value above 90. Or what specs of a light would you be looking at to spot paint defects with?

I have also thought about getting a light with the orange color they have in the parking lots.

Just got my Scangrip Sunmatch light home. Will be intresting to see how it compares to the Sonax Pen Inspection light I have. The silver metallic car I have and the white and light grey metallic cars I maintain is hard to see with the lights I have gotten so far. The Sonax Pen light has been working the best so far. Think it`s the same as the Rupes one. But wonders if it`s the same light bulp as the Scangrip Pen light.
    My Swedish Brother Tony !
    I hope all is well with you and your family !

I have the 2 of the Scangrip (Denmark) MultiMatch lights and they have a CRI of 95.. The Kelvin is 4500k.
    So, as you can see, they are not the highest of either rating, but they work really good..
    And as you already know so well, some lights do not show defects best in silver, lighter color paintwork...

I remember those orange colored lights under the roofs if some gasoline stations !
    Im trying to remember what they were called, but they are still used in California along stretches of freeway, usually around the exits..

Perhaps they called, something-halide????

Yes, they really show paintwork extremely well when under them...
    Believe the idea, way, back when, those came out, was an efficient cheaper to run, lasts way way, longer lightbulbs...
    Dan F
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Maybe was a generalsation from me. With what most use their wall mounted lights or a cheaper flash light with well under the 90 CRI. As a home detailer. With different inspection light you have a better way to spot different defects.

Wondering if there is a sweet spot with the CRI value to catch a larger amount of different defects?
    Think I have read somewhere that it`s recommended to have a CRI value above 90. Or what specs of a light would you be looking at to spot paint defects with?

I have also thought about getting a light with the orange color they have in the parking lots.

Just got my Scangrip Sunmatch light home. Will be intresting to see how it compares to the Sonax Pen Inspection light I have. The silver metallic car I have and the white and light grey metallic cars I maintain is hard to see with the lights I have gotten so far. The Sonax Pen light has been working the best so far. Think it`s the same as the Rupes one. But wonders if it`s the same light bulp as the Scangrip Pen light.
    I think a lot of those gas stations and parking lots use metal halide bulbs, at least the older ones. The volume shop I worked at back in the day uses them and the do show swirls and other defects well.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Post-Adventures in Ophthalmological Surgery I find that I need a *LOT* more light to do pretty much everything. Whole different ballgame from where I was five years ago, let alone when I designed/built the shop.

Oh man, I`m envious...my combo of cathedral ceiling and "gee that looks nice" windows adds up to a lot of sunlight getting in during daylight hours. Any practical fix would be more than I want to get into (for something I only care about every however many years), but if I were doing it over I`d sure that topic more thought..
    Mi Hermano, El Accumulator` !
    I KNOW the things you are saying about the eyes...
    Hope you have received care that improves the condition..

My eye surgeon just told me I have a few cataracts going on now and that contributes to less night vision as well.. I knew something was up!!
    But he also said when/if it gets bad enough, he can do laser surgery that will make it all better..

I also found out one eye needed astigmatism contact lens correction, and that alone really helped my overall vision.. Yippee !!!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Sorry, wasn`t directed at you. When I designed my garage I wanted it to be nice and bright because it`s a garage first and detail shop second. I don`t do many interior jobs now days but I wanted it bright for when I do. I also do all my own mechanical work so it`s nice having it bright for that as well. It`s pretty amazing how much a darker color on the walls, ceiling, and floor can change the light in a room. Just redoing my floor with color chips made it noticeably darker looking then with the solid light grey I originally had.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ + 1

I also do a lot of mechanical work inside this same place for me and other people, so need all the light I can get to see better for that type of work...

And you know, if I can get the vehicle outside first, to Detail the entire Interior, that Always, works better for me.. Nothing can ever show up as much Inside the vehicle, for me, than good old Sunlight...
    Dan F
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Mi Hermano, El Accumulator` !
    I KNOW the things you are saying about the eyes...
    Hope you have received care that improves the condition..
    Heh heh, it was basically a matter of "can we get it working again?" and I do indeed have vision. The New Normal sure isn`t swell, but it beats blindness even if it does uhm...impose limitations.

My wife just finished the "stay face-down 24/7" part of her latest eye repair recovery period, and oughta be driving by the end of the month or so. Thought we`d get through this year without anybody going under the laser, but nah...always something.

Having vision is something I basically took for granted before, not so much now.

My eye surgeon just told me I have a few cataracts going on now and ...he can do laser surgery that will make it all better..
    Yeah, the fix is quick and easy...as long as nothing goes haywire later. I put off cataract surgery until one eye was basically useless, when I finally had it done that was what precipitated the Big Problem four months later. Hoping to put it off in the other eye as that`d almost certainly cause the Big Issue there too.

Glad you got the astigmatism corrected, I`ve been dealing with that since I was a kid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I think a lot of those gas stations and parking lots use metal halide bulbs, at least the older ones... do show swirls and other defects well.
    Yeah, that`s it. IIRC the other old type, the"funny colored ones", are maybe Sodium Vapor lights or something like that.
    Likes Stokdgs, RaskyR1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, it was basically a matter of "can we get it working again?" and I do indeed have vision. The New Normal sure isn`t swell, but it beats blindness even if it does uhm...impose limitations.

My wife just finished the "stay face-down 24/7" part of her latest eye repair recovery period, and oughta be driving by the end of the month or so. Thought we`d get through this year without anybody going under the laser, but nah...always something.

Having vision is something I basically took for granted before, not so much now.

Yeah, the fix is quick and easy...as long as nothing goes haywire later. I put off cataract surgery until one eye was basically useless, when I finally had it done that was what precipitated the Big Problem four months later. Hoping to put it off in the other eye as that`d almost certainly cause the Big Issue there too.

Glad you got the astigmatism corrected, I`ve been dealing with that since I was a kid.
    Hermano Accumulator` ,

Wow laser cataract correction needs 24x7 stay face down????? Oh no.... I hope your Sweetheart gets through all of that just fine... Prayers for you both from me...

None of this stuff sounds much like fun... And think of all those "early" years we just abused our eyes and thought nothing of it..

Thanks for the "warning" of things that may come, I guess....

Perhaps one thing that may be pretty good to come out of all this, is that one may qualify for the Blue card that hangs from the mirror and allows parking in front....
    Hope you guys get better...
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    ..Wow laser cataract correction needs 24x7 stay face down????? Oh no.... I hope your Sweetheart gets through all of that just fine...
    Nah, not the cataract surgery, but rather laser surgery to repair damage to the macula (also for moderate/serious retina repair). Accumulatorette somehow developed holes in her maculas; I had retinal tears and a detachment that also tore my one macula. My recovery was easy, I had to stay *upright* for a few weeks (face up/down depends on where the repair is).

The cataract surgery is easy-peasy, and if it does *not* precipitate any retinal issues then that`s that, problem solved with minimal downtime....basically a nonevent IMO. Just ask your Doc about it the chances of those issues down the road so you know where you stand.

And sigh...no joy on the Blue Card for this one.. not that I think I`d use it anyhow (another of those things I can be, uhm...funny...about).

OK, back to your originally scheduled program....just didn`t want Stokdgs thinking that recovery from cataract work would be a huge PIA.

Post Thanks / Like

all this talk about gas station lighting is actually what motivated me to get better lighting in my garage. the new and upgraded stations around me all have amazing, white LED fixtures. I was seeing things at night getting gas that are barely noticeable any other time.

when I priced out what those fixtures go for, I nearly fell over, so basic LED strips in the garage and some good working lights do the trick.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home

Post Thanks / Like

Took the Scangrip Sunmatch light to test it on the white Ford Focus I maintain and a blue metallic VW Passat I do some testing on. While I can get a good view with little adjusting with the angles when inspection done with the Sonax Inspection Light Pen. There is a little spot the light is able to show me. And not spreading of the light on the defects that long outside of the light spot. I fought to do the Sunmatch an unfair test environment with full sun up. And it did pass with flying colors. The defects and the paint that is corrected on some parts of the VW Passat was easy spotted and without any problems with finding the right angle. Just find the distance and it where easy to see. On the white Focus also easy to get the defects on the paint showing easly. I have done a polishing or you could say a paint cleaning with Ultima Paintprep Plus on the horisontall panels. It`s quite impresive how the Ultima PPP without any abrasives in it has corrected the paint. Only the light defects was corrected and the deeper defects still there. The Sunmatch light did awesome to help me to see the difference on the paint. That I`m aware of is on the cars. Will be intresting to see how it works on my Kia cee`d silver metallic paint. That was polished to not haveing almost no defects on it last spring. And the defects I have been seeing is from the takeing off the snow during the winter and some light wash indused swirls. But know I feel like I will see the condition of the paint much easier. So for hand held lights I don`t know why I searched so long for a light that would work good. When I had the option to go straight an awesome light available to get that is well proven. The price is the biggest reason. But when you sum it up it would be cheaper to get it right away as useally. Well know I have an inspection light that works great and is easy to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM- Appreciate your feedback on the Sunmatch. Think it`d show holograms on the white?

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM- Appreciate your feedback on the Sunmatch. Think it`d show holograms on the white?
    Honestly I don`t know. Maybe in a garage so the different surroundings outside don`t interfear when it`s light up. The lower sides of the white Focus is swirled up badly. And the defects around the light bulp reflection from the Sunmatch was visible quite far from it. So with bad holograms I think it will show easy. Then if the deeper defects than the holograms is polished off before the holograms was installed. I`m almost certain that you can spot the holograms. I think I would have a problem with the Sonax Inspection Light Pen to see holograms.

I wonder what the difference is with the Scangrip Sunmatch II light?
    Seems like you have not had it over the pond so long?
    What I have reading about it is it has a higher brightness/Lux. And the two different settings is 4500k and 6500k. Think this newer version has even better ability to see the fine defects on the paint like holograms and haze from polishing for an example. If I would have doing paint correction on living on it or I would be certain to get the most effective inspection light. I would invest in a Sunmatch II light. And I know regret that I got a halogens on a tripod and diy a tripod with 2 30w led lights. Those together would have gotten me the Multimatch light instead. The Multimatch light at the same place I got the Sunmatch light at. Have them for 105$. They have gotten a delivery of the first version of Scangrip. And sells them out to a great price. They have only offered the Scangrip II lights before. And the retail price of them is about the same prices you have over there. I never learn to do it right the first time LOL

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM- My problem is that, surprisingly, people have PM`ed me that they do *not* see things like light holograms well under the newer Sunmatch. I get the feeling they don`t want to post that publicly because somebody will tell them that they`re wrong (IOW, that they shouldn`t believe their eyes).

This *is* a tricky thing for me...even before my vision issues my wife and I would have to team up for extended periods to spot light holograms (that others didn`t see at all even when I put my finger right on them and said "here") with the light sources that do work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I have not found a one-size-fits-all light. I use halogen, fluorescent, LED, Scangrip V1 and V2 and the high noon sun etc.
    The sun is "My best friend and my worst enemy". I use a few different techniques (bright lights, dark room with a spotlight etc.).
    IMHO use what works best for you in your environment. I like carrying the V2. They all show different things in different ways.

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information