Post Thanks / Like

New PPF, First Wash, Water Spots everywhere

I recently had a full ppf done on my jet black 991. Today I washed it for the first time. I thought I was doing everything right, and the sun was not even out - mostly cloudy.

I used soft microfiber mitt, and then I used my blower to get the majority of the water off so that I would be touching the car less. Last I used microfiber towels to get the last of the water. I used the towels to pat down any remaining water I found rather than drag the towel across or run the towel back and forth.

When I was done the car looked really nice. But then as I was putting things away the light caught a panel a certain way and I saw what looked to be a lot of water spots. I was spent after spending two hours on the wash and decided to have another look at night in the garage and maybe try to get them off.

So tonight im looking over the car, and when the lights hit the roof a certain way I see tons of what look like more water marks. Then I take out my led flashlight and have a look, and that`s when I see , pretty much the entire car is covered with this. image attached.

Im going to pull it out of the garage tomorrow and have another look at it in the sun/daylight. I`m not sure how noticeable it will be then. Under cloud cover I was pleased with how the car looked, and did not even see it for the most part, except the one panel when the light hit it a certain way.
    Maybe my mistake was getting out the flashlight?

In the garage i touched up a small area with soap and water to see if it would come off, and most of it did, but a few very small spots still remained, visible with the flashlight.

Has anyone seen such a thing on ppf film before? Did I go wrong somewhere?
    Am I going to have to try to get all this stuff off soon else it becomes permanent? The thought of that after spending 2.5 hours detailing today is not appealing. Especially if I get it off only for it to come back yet again.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New PPF, First Wash, Water Spots everywhere

Kage65 --
    So sorry this happened to your beautiful car...

When you had the car wrapped, and you got it home, was the ppf perfect then ? Was all the soapy water they used to apply the PPF underneath, dried and gone?

Did you inspect it with your LED flashlight when you brought it home after the work ?

If so, what happened in between the time you brought it home and when you washed it?

Was it parked outside day and night, etc.., before you washed it for the first time?
    What was the temp when you washed it ?

What soap did you use to wash it with ?

I always put PPF (VentureShield, 3M) on the hood, entire front end and part of the front fenders on all my personal vehicles, for over 16 years and I have never seen this on any of these vehicles... And a lot of my vehicles are also Black, Jet Black, etc...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Kage65 --
    So sorry this happened to your beautiful car...

When you had the car wrapped, and you got it home, was the ppf perfect then ? Was all the soapy water they used to apply the PPF underneath, dried and gone?

Did you inspect it with your LED flashlight when you brought it home after the work ?

If so, what happened in between the time you brought it home and when you washed it?

Was it parked outside day and night, etc.., before you washed it for the first time?
    What was the temp when you washed it ?

What soap did you use to wash it with ?

I always put PPF (VentureShield, 3M) on the hood, entire front end and part of the front fenders on all my personal vehicles, for over 16 years and I have never seen this on any of these vehicles... And a lot of my vehicles are also Black, Jet Black, etc...
    Dan F
    Yea, the car was pretty much perfect when I picked it up. I looked at it closely under full sunlight. Then over the next few days I continued looking it over.
    The only issued underneath the film were 4 or 5 very small pieces of debris. Other than that the film looked great. During that time I would not have missed something like this. I did not look at the car with a flashlight until tonight, after I washed it. However I`m quite certain this happened after i washed the car for the first time.

The car is always garaged. Temp was around 85 today when I washed it, weather was mostly cloudy. I used meguiars gold class car soap.

Thanks.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

New PPF, First Wash, Water Spots everywhere

Yeah. I have a black BMW with a clear bra. The thing - if you wanna drive the car - some very minor spotting that can only be seen in certain lights from time to time is just a fact of life.

I don’t care what you do. You won’t eliminate it 100%.

That being said, I’ve eliminated it 98%. It doesn’t matter if it’s not sunny - it’s still possible to get spots. So, what I do is wash the car in the garage using rinseless wash mixed with DI water.

Bubble wash is a dinosaur. It’s an inferior way to wash a car for many reasons. Now, I AWAYS pressure wash before rinseless wash a car - which levels the playing field between the 2BM & rinseless method (GDWM).

But, if your working in a garage and washing with DI water - you should minimize this issue.

Post Thanks / Like

kage65-- Welcome to Autopia! Sorry you`re having to deal with this...I`m not gonna be of much help but your dilemma has piqued my interest so with apologies I`m horning in on your thread But FWIW, I`d be thrilled if I could wash a car properly in 2.5hours! Can`t imagine it... But anyhow, guys like Stokdgs and Swanicyouth know more about living with PPF than I ever will, and I`m wondering about:

What about LSPing it? I`ve only had (extensive) PPF on one vehicle, and/but I LSPed it and zero issues with anything.

What about "how did it get spotted in the first place"? Poor water quality (which I do sure know from), wrong shampoo or wash/dry technique...what?

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth
    Bubble wash is a dinosaur. It’s an inferior way to wash a car for many reasons...
    Well, unless you do it the way I do But I sure wouldn`t use Gold Class (except for maybe the undercarriage).

Post Thanks / Like

I get perfect Bubble Wash Dinosaur Results with Carpro Reset and water from the hose.. No pressure wash, just rinse it off, wash it down with the Reset mixed in a 5gal bucket, keep it wet, until I begin to blow it all off with the Metro Master Blaster...

I work quickly, have the Master Blaster on a rolling detail cart, 100 feet of 12awg extension cord, all set up to go around and up on the top of the Grand Cherokee which is also Black, and I never get water spots... My Clearbra is perfectly clear and it was applied 9 years ago when I bought the Grand Cherokee new..

The water out where I live has lots of minerals in it I think, and I see people all the time with water spots all over their vehicles.. Especially the glass..

Have a new, front end and hood clearbra ( 3M) on my new to me, 2007 Acura TL Type-S and of course, the last of my Syringe of Optimum 2.0, and my process works the same for it too..
    No water spots...

Kage65, I agree with mi hermano el Accumulator`, that you need to have something on the car to help protect it.. There is a lot of dialogue on this very subject somewhere, a while back.. Some of us have even carefully polished clear bra`s and had pretty good results.. The older and more scratched, the less perfect it will turn out, but it will turn out better than before if you know how to do it..

Did you reach out to the people who installed it yet and asked them what they recommend you put on it ???
    The reason I ask, is just this past week, my neighbor bought a huge white new Tahoe and had a clear bra installed on the front end, etc., like I like to have done.. He said the people who installed the clearbra told him to only use rubbing alcohol to clean it... I need to ask him more details, which company made that product, etc., what strength of rubbing alcohol did they say to use, etc,,,
    Dan F
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    ..the people who installed the clearbra told him to only use rubbing alcohol to clean it...
    Oh sheesh, if somebody said that to me it`d be the start of a conversation they`d never forget.

Filthy winter car and you`re walking towards it with a bottle of IPA...yeah right.
    Likes 06vrss, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oh sheesh, if somebody said that to me it`d be the start of a conversation they`d never forget.

Filthy winter car and you`re walking towards it with a bottle of IPA...yeah right.
    Mi Hermano !
    Believe me, when he said that to me, you can only imagine what I was thinking...
    Anyway, it was 90 degree full on sunlight, I did not want to go into Detailer mode right then, thank you..
    He wants me to sometime, put some wax, etc., on the Beast for him, as he is getting too elderly and can`t do it on his own..
    I will have another opportunity to ask him more in detail about the nitwits who told him that later...

If it`s the local nitwits I called once about putting on a clearbra on my Acura, I can totally believe them saying dumb stuff like that..

Me - "how much to put on a front end clearbra, `07 Acura TL Type-S, full front, piece over part of front of hood, matching piece on front edge of fenders, back of mirrors, all 4 door edges"..
    Nitwits ="well, uhhhh, about $1,400 and we need the car for 4 days"..
    Me - "No thanks, you are way overpriced; this process normally takes a trained installer a couple, perhaps 3 hours tops"... Buh-Bye...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Heh heh, once again your, uhm...Better Nature...prevailed and you were *so* nice You`re even kind enough to merely call them "nitwits".
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Those spots are pretty small in size so I`d be inclined to think they happened when you were using the blower on the car and they just set in before you went back over with a towel. Have you tried using a detail spray to remove them yet?

Thread Information