Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Steamer - Does it help you get it Cleaner

I`ve posted my thoughts on my use of ~lack of~ for auto`s.
    I do think the pencil pattern is great for nooks and crannies - cupholders and the like.

I`ve got some door panels I want to get clean.
    They are clean surface wise - just some dirt in the graining.

Normally, I would spray, brush, wipe (if more dirt) spray, brush wipe and then 3X water wipedowns.
    The car was taken to the track, and well during said period, maybe some greasy hands that normally would be more meticulous was not really paid much attention.

Anyhow.....with the steamer, would you say it would be a one time past.

I am really OCD about interiors. Almost sterile clean, for any of ours. On a simple task like a steering wheel, I will use at least 6 MF`s during the process Why ? I change it often as I don`t to be spreading hand oils from one quadrant to the next.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steamer - Does it help you get it Cleaner

I use my steamer in conjunction with cleaners as needed for interiors. Sometimes the steamer is enough to help loosen dirt/ grime/ oils etc to release them to follow up with a MF. Sometimes you need the cleaner, a bit of agitation and then follow up with the steamer to help with the finishing step.
    I like it for leather, upholstery and carpets. However, I dont break it out all the time its really on a case by case basis.

Some areas its great for are the wheel wells and door jambs/ trunk jams, and engine.

Do you own one currently?
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I do. I don`t use it for auto interiors....

However, the track rat in question - I`ve wipe down my door panels already. Surface flat is clean. It`s just the graining on the door panels - tbd, on which course of avenue I want to take.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think that anyone can argue that steam, when used correctly, is a great cleaner. In Green Bay, WI we have a professional detailer who is advertising their use of steam as a "Green Clean" for cleaning/detailing vehicles for individuals who are concerned about the use of chemicals in their vehicle for environmental reasons or have allergies or medical sensitivities to car-care chemicals. Is it a "better" cleaner than traditional car-care chemical use? For some vehicle owners, the above two reasons have allowed a professional detailer to serve a niche or emerging market in vehicle detailing.

I do not a have a steamer, but for those who do, whether professional or hobbyist, they prefer its use and could not get the cleaning results and time savings they desire without it. For more on this please see the thread:
    It`s 2018 - Whos Steaming
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie. I started that thread too !

My stickler with it, is my golden eyes have observed very slight (OCD eyes observement), where there has been a slight color shift where the steamer was used. Not like it`s A (cleaner) vs B (no as clean), but a slight color shift per-se. Hard to describe..

I am curious how much or little effort will it draw out just the minor grease/dirt in the graining. I use it all the time inside the house WITH direct injection so I know what it can acheive. Not sure if I`m willing to do the same on a colored material like the auto interior..

Post Thanks / Like

Mobiledynamics- I hardly ever use my steamer on the interior (well, usually just to clean the pedals), and I`ve learned to be *very* careful about steaming stuff. Surfaces that withstood it absolutely fine before now show signs of borderline damage similar to what you have with the "minor color change". And in a few cases (fortunately just the Dog Compartment of the Tahoe) those previously impervious surfaces are downright "bleached" from the last steaming even though I was *more gentle* than I had been in the past.

Gotta be careful with stuff as it gets older..there is *NO* way I`d ever use it on a leather steering wheel, not even the Tahoe`s.

Eh, maybe it`s just my vehicles...I`m basically in "first, do no harm" mode with `em now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Lonnie. I started that thread too !

My stickler with it, is my golden eyes have observed very slight (OCD eyes observement), where there has been a slight color shift where the steamer was used. Not like it`s A (cleaner) vs B (no as clean), but a slight color shift per-se. Hard to describe..

I am curious how much or little effort will it draw out just the minor grease/dirt in the graining. I use it all the time inside the house WITH direct injection so I know what it can acheive. Not sure if I`m willing to do the same on a colored material like the auto interior..
    If you are maintaining the vehicle interior pretty regularly and the car is just lightly soiled with some oil/ grease it may not even be worth while to utilize the steamer.
    IF I use mine on the interior it normally on really bad carpet stains and interiors that really just need that extra clean. I`m always careful with steering wheels and center consoles/ instrument cluster as taking high pressure/ high temp steam to these area`s is something I tread lightly on. For really soiled fabric seats and carpets etc I find it works very well to break down dirt and oils. Even heavy soiled leather. Again. I am not breaking this out to use for regular weekly/ monthly maintenance on my interiors. I do not see the benefit in that.

Door panels as well I would just not rub directly on or get too close and I would not go over the speakers.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it`s 2 fold. For the car owner detailing their own car, you notice these .00001 subtle difference , whereas for someone just doing the jobs, it`s just another item off the list to be crossed off.

Post Thanks / Like

On my 8 year old, tan leather interior BMW, I used it once on the leather and that was it. To a point mentioned earlier in the thread, on older interiors, the steam really beats leather up. Even used wrapped in a towel, with all the dyes and and stuff they use, it made a noticeable change in color and texture. On carpet/plastic I use it no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a specific caveat about steaming interiors: I`ve had steam melt synthetic textiles, including carpeting. Luckily it wasn`t a critical situation...and yeah, I was being *very* careful and working on something I had successfully steamed before. Given what I expected the melting points to be, I absolutely never would`ve thunk it, let alone after it having gone so well previously.

Post Thanks / Like

I still steam everything. I have see the discoloration it can cause in the past and have attributed it to user error. You need to think of a steamer like you would a rotary polisher. It’s a great tool, and very powerful when used correctly, but the smallest error can bite you pretty quick. I’ve noticed less issues using a high end machine as opposed to a lower (more consumer type machine). I believe it’s probably the moisture content of the steam. I know the cheaper machines can spit out a ton of water.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    I still steam everything. I have see the discoloration it can cause in the past and have attributed it to user error...
    No doubt it was indeed User Error when I did damage..heh heh, if nothing else the User should`ve used something else! But it was odd that I did the exact same thing numerous times with zero problems and there was no warning sign.
    You need to think of a steamer like you would a rotary polisher. It’s a great tool, and very powerful when used correctly, but the smallest error can bite you pretty quick.
    MUCH quicker than with a rotary, with which I`ve never done any damage!

I’ve noticed less issues using a high end machine as opposed to a lower (more consumer type machine). I believe it’s probably the moisture content of the steam. I know the cheaper machines can spit out a ton of water.
    Ah, interesting! Exact *opposite* experience here, maybe because the lesser units weren`t potent enough to trash the same surfaces.

I`m omitting consideration of the huge propane-powered ones that`ll strip epoxy paint...those need a *lot* of respect!
    Likes Stokdgs, ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That all very well could be my experience with steaming with the higher end machine not causing problems. by the time I purchased my Daimer 1000 I had a really good idea of what I was doing. I wouldn’t imagine using one of those $7k+ machines. I’m all for overkill but there’s a point that it’s just not smart.

My whole theory is. Keep moving quick and stay a good 6+” away from the surface. I’ll get close when I need to but never more than about a half second or so and it’s immediately wiped off. I’ve learned that if it’s not coming off from a quick hit like that, find a different method or risk damage. I’ve also learned that those droplets of moisture that can end up in random places (like when you let go of the trigger and it spits a little) if left unchecked can cause damage. Gotta remember that water is super heated and plastic, while it won’t melt neecessarily, could discolor

As for the OP (sorry for the attempted hijack!). Steam isn’t very effective for the dirt you’re talking about from my experience. You need some mechanical agitation (brush) to really clean that out. Let some mild APC dwell for a bit on it then follow it up with a mild scrubbing with a soft brush. In the case of steam, it makes a great way to rinse! Just keep it moving and don’t overdo it.

Post Thanks / Like

ShaneB- Ah yeah...I`d forgotten that you have a Daimer too! I forget the specs on your 1000, but I bet it was pricey enough that you *did indeed* do plenty of research before buying it.

Sounds like you`re being very safe/conservative with yours...I might tend to get a bit aggressive with my 1500C Perhaps that "eh, it`s the Tahoe.." got the better of me!
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to do it all over again I`d probably go with the 1500 like you have. I only ever use the vacuum on it when I need to clean the floors in my house. It`s handy but just not practical for detailing purposes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information