Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steamer - Does it help you get it Cleaner

My VX5000 with the single hole spray attachment really helps get all the gunk out of the front door jambs, hinges, etc., area...
    The tool is very precise, and used properly, there is no danger of removing the grease, etc., from the door hinge areas..
    My process is to spray some Meguiars APC+ in the area, let it dwell for a bit, and then steam it all out..
    Sometimes, if really, really, dirty, a long handle smaller brush is needed to agitate the APC+ a little..
    Clean door jambs..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Heh heh, some of the, uhm...challenges...that`d drive me nuts if I were a Pro are probably the exact kind of jobs a good steamer can help with, huh?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    If I had to do it all over again I`d probably go with the 1500 like you have. I only ever use the vacuum on it when I need to clean the floors in my house. It`s handy but just not practical for detailing purposes.
    Ah, interesting! I do sometimes wonder whether I got the optimal steamer, but since it`ll probably never (completely) die I try to consider it OK.

Post Thanks / Like

The potential damage on trim/leather/vinyl that we speak of is similar to what I would say a in-experienced hand in pressure washing concrete - zebra stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    The potential damage on trim/leather/vinyl that we speak of is similar to what I would say a in-experienced hand in pressure washing concrete - zebra stripes.
    Heh heh....you do see that from time to time!

But I figure the Striping comes from uneven work, not overlapping properly, other "just sloppy" stuff like that.

What I encountered was more like..."for some reason the one portion of the area being steamed lost pigment even though that area got the exact same treatment as the areas that did not lose pigment." That and synthetic carpet melting in the same way, as if a section of it somehow had a lower melting point (and YES I realize that`s extremely unlikely).

Gotta admit I still kind of scratch my head about what went haywire as I was being *so* careful to avoid any potential "oops!"..I mean, you use steamers on delicate surfaces for a few decades and you`re either pretty dialed-in or you`re uhm...a lot more challenged than I am The only real dummy-moment I had with a steamer since the `70s was melting the retainer for the hood prop rod on my last RX7 That *was* just stupid carelessness!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

There is such a fine line between cleaning and removing a tiny layer of concrete when using a pressure washer with enough power, that one can never be careful enough...

And I also agree with El Accumulator`, zebra striping is the result of uneven work... The widest fan tip has to be held the exact distance away from the floor for the entire run, the exact speed of pace on every run, for the whole slab... Not for faint of heart or those in a hurry to finish...

Another little item I had to learn and perfect in my 11 years living in the Pacific Northwest, where all concrete is very dirty from constant rain, mold growing everywhere, etc...

But the payback is the most awesome ,brightest, emerald green color of every plant growing out there; so bright, that you need sunglasses all the time..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

For concrete cleaning......surface cleaners are far superior than a wand/tip. Like I always preach, we get wrapped up in PSI, but the bizness is all about how much GPM !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information