Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about tipping after ceramic coating

Jwyfk --

Regarding my post about the "Owner" not knowing, etc., I apologize, It was not the Owner, my mistake...

You said this -- " Apparently, the manager of this business was unaware that the prep work involved was the same for all grades and thought Gloss Coat was just used similar to a wax without all the decontamination steps and buffing""

So it`s not the Owner but the Manager who was clueless, etc... Same thing, same alarms should go off...

There are a lot of really good Detailers on this Forum and on forums at Detailed Image; also a really good guy who owns Detailers Domain in NJ I believe, and he may also know a few other dependable guys out there, etc..

Perhaps sometime, you may decide to address this again with someone else..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F
    Thanks jwyfk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Eh, any defects that show up *at all* in pics are so severe that some of us would just *freak* if we saw an "after" with such issues!
    I can`t see the swirls most of the time, so I haven`t been able to photograph that yet, but I was able to capture a picture of the white line. I also uploaded a picture of the residue that wasn`t wiped from the roof before coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Jwyfk --

Regarding my post about the "Owner" not knowing, etc., I apologize, It was not the Owner, my mistake...

There are a lot of really good Detailers on this Forum and on forums at Detailed Image; also a really good guy who owns Detailers Domain in NJ I believe, and he may also know a few other dependable guys out there, etc..
    Now I understand, thank you. As I mentioned, the shop does a bit of everything and the manager probably knows very little.

Thank you for the suggestions. There`s a detailer lookup on Detailed Image. I only looked at a couple of them, but they seem much more professional than the one I went with. Unfortunately, none of them are Optimum dealers, but I`ll know where to look next time.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

jwyfk- Eh, I feel like I`m beating you over the head with my opinions and that you probably think I`m awfulizing the situation..and for the umpteenth time, it doesn`t matter unless it matters to you. BUT...

That is simply *incredible*. You probably cannot imagine how it looks to some of us. Between your descriptions (and I suspect you`re being pretty kind and generous) and the pic of the roof (not sure what`s going on with the bumpercover, hope it can be sorted out)...that`s utterly inexcusable for anyone, let alone a supposed professional shop. They don`t know, or *CARE* what they`re doing to your new car; they are hacks who are ripping you off and damaging your vehicle. It [ticks] me off just knowing that they`re out there preying on nice people like you.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwyfk View Post
    Oh man, that`s especially terrible. And they coated over it?

Post Thanks / Like

jwyfk -

where are you located. Many of the forum can help point to a detailer or 2 if you care to share

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jwyfk- Eh, I feel like I`m beating you over the head with my opinions and that you probably think I`m awfulizing the situation..and for the umpteenth time, it doesn`t matter unless it matters to you. BUT...

That is simply *incredible*. You probably cannot imagine how it looks to some of us. Between your descriptions (and I suspect you`re being pretty kind and generous) and the pic of the roof (not sure what`s going on with the bumpercover, hope it can be sorted out)...that`s utterly inexcusable for anyone, let alone a supposed professional shop. They don`t know, or *CARE* what they`re doing to your new car; they are hacks who are ripping you off and damaging your vehicle. It [ticks] me off just knowing that they`re out there preying on nice people like you.
    I`m definitely not happy about it. I guess I was trying to convince myself that this isn`t bad so I don`t get more upset. By the way, the white line isn`t on the bumper cover. That`s the rear door of the car. Since I won`t be able to wash the car for 2 weeks, it`s difficult to see other possible mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    jwyfk -

where are you located. Many of the forum can help point to a detailer or 2 if you care to share
    Thank you, but as I mentioned I`m not ready to reveal this on a public forum until this is sorted out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Oh man, that`s especially terrible. And they coated over it?
    It`s pretty sloppy. I assume he must have. I have no way of knowing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know how the warranty ~works~ as I`m now really into the wording of warranties, but I`m going to presume it`s still with the Original installer....unless OPT goes out of their way and comps A Different installer to fix, which I doubt unless this was a extraordinary issue between OPT and the original installer that could not be resolved/comped. Comped being the word, as the way I`m reading this, OPT is not liable to be comping anybody for resolution, so it`s a moot point for discussion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I don`t mean it as such

But in this cause, it`s not a coating issue. It`s prep failure....which is is not OPT problem
    IMO. You need to just move on....and either live with it or move on to a more qualified professional in the trade.

By posting your location, we might be able to suggest a pro.
    One that you can visit to find out how much it will cost to ~fix~.
    Someone with trained eyes that may be missing stuff you are not seeing !
    You can take such estimate and bring it back to the original shop and see how much they will reimburse you.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don`t get this resolved head over to the optimum forum and post your frustration. For sure you will get a response.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Stokdgs, jwyfk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    If you don`t get this resolved head over to the optimum forum and post your frustration. For sure you will get a response.

Guz -

For my own wiki, knowledgebase, clarity, education.

How is the Original posters problem and subsequent pics a OPT problem they should be rectifying ?

Post Thanks / Like

Guz -

How is the Original posters problem and subsequent pics a OPT problem they should be rectifying ?
    One word WARRANTY. Optimum in the end has their name on the product through an authorized installer. If the installer did a poor job would Optimum want this person to be a representative to their brand? The optimum reps will contact the installer and find out the details and go from there to get this resolved. Not too mention that there are optimum representatives on that forum compared to Autopia.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

The warranty is for the coating.

I put ZERO weight into the authorized dealer list. It`s kinda like Snap On or anything in life, where it`s *regionally locked* for exclusivity.

I don`t think there is much vetting going on until there is a issue. Which to some degree, there is one now. But vetting IMO should have occured prior.....aka, not jus you need to do a buy in of $2000 worth of product and yearly, buy at least $5000 of product, etc per year.

Regardless, my interpretation of OPT is with the coating. Not the prep that occured.

Per my other post in this very same thread, there is 1 shop listed on another coating dealers site. He has boasted about using peanut oil on trim and I`ve seen it being applied with old used *clean white socks*. Said detailer is still authorized for such coating and is only 1 out of 4 in a 60-80 mile radius.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The warranty is for the coating.

I put ZERO weight into the authorized dealer list. It`s kinda like Snap On or anything in life, where it`s *regionally locked* for exclusivity.

I don`t think there is much vetting going on until there is a issue. Which to some degree, there is one now. But vetting IMO should have occured prior.....aka, not jus you need to do a buy in of $2000 worth of product and yearly, buy at least $5000 of product, etc per year.

Regardless, my interpretation of OPT is with the coating. Not the prep that occured.

Per my other post in this very same thread, there is 1 shop listed on another coating dealers site. He has boasted about using peanut oil on trim and I`ve seen it being applied with old used *clean white socks*. Said detailer is still authorized for such coating and is only 1 out of 4 in a 60-80 mile radius.
    Mobiledynamics ---

Well, perhaps Optimum will see the Ordeal this man had to go through and decide they want to help... However they do that...
    If it was my company, I would want to help...

Regarding the 1 shop listed on another coating detailers site, who in their right mind, after reading they use peanut oil on trim, etc., would want to rush right over and hire this guy??? Right ! No one...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

maybe on the ordeal. just maybe...... Or like most coatings , the warranty details are in the fine print.Just my POV. I`ve never dealt with OPT but I do recall back when Dr. G used to post over here now and then so who knows, he seems like a good guy who would want the right thing...JYWFK, do post back on your outcome. We`re only trying to help here and going to another pro to get a set of eyes on it would be helpful.

This is a bad analogy but let`s say you buy a used car. PPI is important from a trusted indy. You can also bring it to trusted bodyshop if you have one. My guy can spot any bodywork done without me telling him. It`s just all in the ~experienced eyes~. IMO, get another set of eyes on it if you .

On the other post re: peanut oil. Authorized dealers/installers to me mean exclusivity to carry/use X, Y Z product. I do not interpret this as they do ~good work~. One would hope or assume they do.

Post Thanks / Like

Guz -

Dunno for sure but doesn`t an Authorized Installer have to go thru some kinda Optimum training to be able to use it?

I`ll bet somewhere someone has a certificate and maybe marketing stuff that trumpets them as a Optimum Authorized Installer, implying trained and approved by the mother-company?

Even if that someone was apparently playing on their phone during class?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information