Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Stubborn red berry stains on paint.

I have this tree in my yard that drops these berries every fall and they came early this year. The berries are in a hard shell which resembles a nut and when they fall out of the tree, the impact on my car causes them to splatter a red berry on the paint.
    They leave an EXTREMELY stubborn stain on the paint. I have tried Carpro tar X, a light polish by hand , I even used a compound with a dual action and none of these worked. It helped a little bit but the stains remain.
    The only thing that works is to scrub each stain with a cleaner and a lot of pressure. This is very time consuming since there are probably a hundred individual stains on the car.

It seems like I`ll need a somewhat harsh chemical to break down and loosen up the berries then try wiping it away. I`m wondering if anyone here has dealt with the same issue and wondering what product suggestions I can try to break down the composition of these berries so they wipe away easily.

I have attached a picture for reference.
    Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stubborn red berry stains on paint.

P, do you know what kind of tree it is?

I had a friend with a similar problem and he cut the tree down late at night
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    P, do you know what kind of tree it is?

I had a friend with a similar problem and he cut the tree down late at night
    I have no clue what kind of tree it is but it`s definitely a nuisance. Maybe I`ll be buying a chainsaw soon ....

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful... neighbors are likely to hear the chain saw

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

This could work I think. Stoner XENIT Cleaner & Remover. It`s to find the chemical to desolve the specific dirt you got. Citrus oils desolves a various kind of dirt which is great. I think that a strong bug remover could also work. It`s not easy to find the right chemical to take care of a unusual dirt. But when you find it it`s often melts away in front of you. So it`s often a trial and error with what you have. Start small with the sections you clean. And the dwelling time is also important to get as long as possible. If you want a longer dwelling so it`s not drying on the paint. I use a mf towel soaked with the chemical over the spot. And then gently wipe it with it and rinse it off thoroughly.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/stn-...l#.W4Vy_jGew1I
    Likes P Rock, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks P Rock, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Regulars here could see this coming:

I`d use something like ValuGard "A" as the first option and still plan on maybe using a Paint Cleaner.

And I`d get a better LSP on there in hopes that the berries will clean off without residual staining.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the Valugard website for the first time today. Some different products on there. Cerious Compound, works as a compound and polish. Interesting products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Regulars here could see this coming:

I`d use something like ValuGard "A" as the first option and still plan on maybe using a Paint Cleaner.

And I`d get a better LSP on there in hopes that the berries will clean off without residual staining.
    Also noticed you`re in NE Ohio... is a "paint cleaner" basically a really fine polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a berry or a small fruit, like a choke cherry or a pin cherry?? I only ask because if we knew, we would all benefit from the knowledge of what it is and how to clean it (once you report back on what was done to clean it), OR at least trying to avoid parking a vehicle under such a tree/bush.

Some natural-occurring stains are always a bear to clean and remove effectively. Pine pitch is one that if left on one`s vehicle WILL etch the clear-coat. There is also a spring-time fungus in the South (forgot the name; artillery-something) that is difficult to deal with. In Green Bay,WI have a tree that drops extremely gooey, sticky seed pods that WILL discolor the clear-coat/paint yellow and etch it as well.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I went to the Valugard website for the first time today. Some different products on there. Cerious Compound, works as a compound and polish. Interesting products.
    Note that *I* don`t use their Compound that supposedly works like both a compound and a polish

Maybe it`s the first such product that *actually* works that way, but I won`t be the guy who finds out.

I shouldn`t say anything about products I haven`t tried, but uhm...I made some educated guesses about them and, well...nah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P Rock View Post
    Also noticed you`re in NE Ohio... is a "paint cleaner" basically a really fine polish?
    Different companies use words like "polish" and "cleaner" in *VERY* different ways, and oh man can it be confusing!

That`s not a bad way to think of it, just take it to the extreme- the abrasives (if present) will be *SO* fine/gentle that (most) Paint Cleaners will be functionally nonabrasive on most auto paint. Many rely on chemical cleaning agents rather than abrasives. But oh sheesh, look at all the qualifiers I used to post that...but it`s *that* variable between different ones.

Example of what I`m thinking of: Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.

When I mentioned a "better LSP", some *really* are that much better when it comes to providing protection. I`ve had stuff eat *right* through a fresh coat of a good wax and trash the paint; I`ve had the same stuff sit on a different wax for months with zero damage..
    Thanks P Rock thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Note that *I* don`t use their Compound that supposedly works like both a compound and a polish

Maybe it`s the first such product that *actually* works that way, but I won`t be the guy who finds out.

I shouldn`t say anything about products I haven`t tried, but uhm...I made some educated guesses about them and, well...nah.
    I just figured it was some kind of product with diminishing abrasives. They definitely have a very interesting product line. Their shampoo is dirt cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Is it a berry or a small fruit, like a choke cherry or a pin cherry?? I only ask because if we knew, we would all benefit from the knowledge of what it is and how to clean it (once you report back on what was done to clean it), OR at least trying to avoid parking a vehicle under such a tree/bush.

Some natural-occurring stains are always a bear to clean and remove effectively. Pine pitch is one that if left on one`s vehicle WILL etch the clear-coat. There is also a spring-time fungus in the South (forgot the name; artillery-something) that is difficult to deal with. In Green Bay,WI have a tree that drops extremely gooey, sticky seed pods that WILL discolor the clear-coat/paint yellow and etch it as well.
    I do not know what kind of berries they are but they`re inside of a nut (I don`t even know if they`re actually berries). They fall out of this tree for about a week every fall when it starts to get cold. They`re in a hard shell that resembles a nut. When this "nut" hits the car, a brownish/reddish liquid splashes onto the paint and this is what is difficult to clean once it`s baked on. Unfortunately, I was on vacation last week when all this happened so it baked in the sun for days. Usually, they fall later on the year but this year they fell early so it caught me off guard.

I don`t want to compound the entire car because its ceramic coated and I don`t want to remove the coating. I know that if I scrub each one with a lot of pressure, they start to come off. I just wish I knew what chemical will make them come off easier. Here`s the short list of things I`m going to try next...Meguiars degreaser, Stoner tarminator, adhesive remover.

I will report back.... any other suggestions in the meantime will certainly be helpful.

EDIT: Adhesive remover only removed a little bit off the top...the stubborn part baked into the paint remains.

Post Thanks / Like

What brand of ceramic coat product was applied to your car? Maybe/probably the ceramic coat is stained, unless it went through the coating. This is puzzling, normally the coating will repel most liquids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information