Post Thanks / Like

Ever Come Across a Bodyshop that actually did a ~real detail~

Just blurbing outloud....
    My bodyshop guy knows me well enough. He makes sure at the end of the day, I`m not paying deductiable, he kicks back a ~bit~ for me and usually says here, have a nice dinner with the wife or take it to XYZ to get it detailed. They have to polish wherever they paint which is understandable, but that`s the extent. They also leave the interiors untouched except for a vac, and the remainder of the panels are not touched.

One of our cars got kissed on the door while at my indy for some work....indy took cared of it. I let him take full ownership ---his shop of choice, etc. I trust him as he knows my OCD. From the pic, it looked to be PDR only but it must have been more as paint was involved since trim was removed and also blended into the adjacent panel. Anyhow, got the car back....and well, it`s shiny trim, shiny tires and eh, who knows what`s lurking under the fillers on all the panels

I get it. It`s a business and it`s all about Production.....
    The guys doing the detail, they just know every car leaving the shop must be slimey, glossy - as well, upon delivery, it`s a shiny detailed car post ~bodywork~.
    Just had to vent

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ever Come Across a Bodyshop that actually did a ~real detail~

When I get my car back from my body shop I just expect it to be reasonably clean (as in not covered with overspray). They washed it last time and I had to rewash it and get the waterspots off the glass and paint. My fault for not telling them not to wash the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had both my cars into a local bodyshop (the insurance company loves the work, but not the bill). It comes back detailed well enough, not slimy or greasy. They do all kinds of cars including high-end, so the work is always top notch.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- Always sorry to hear about people having a bad experience

My "good" body/paint guys...make that "my formerly good body/paint guys" had been fine...but they simply TRASHED my Jag the last time (literally "last") they had it. OK, the father`s got health issues, but that doesn`t mean you disregard my instructions. OK, the son`s under pressure, that doesn`t mean you wash a car like a [expletive].

Better News: Had the A8 in for my other longtime body/paint guys to realign the front doors (again..hey, they didn`t really know how to build aluminum cars back then). Oh man was I nervous..."they`re gonna manhandle the doors after the car`s been in the Service Dept. for a long time..". But they did it without messing stuff up! I`ll probably find a little something if/when I do a overkill inspection, but *nothing* that jumps out at me at all. They don`t detail my vehicles, but they don`t [mess] `em up either. IF they`d just get completely dialed-in on waterborne paints....

Post Thanks / Like

I actually do have two shops that do great work. One finishes a bit better but both great. My black Camaro SS got a full 6k dollar repaint years ago and besides two little da sanding marks that I took care of the job was perfectly swirl free. Very rare nowadays.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes grungy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, my bodyshop is not of the norm.... One in 11 or 12 in the USA that have the frame alignment for Lambos. every body work station/booth is all connected to a hose/extracted on bodhwork sanding in it`s own separated enclosed stall ! Separate floors of operation. Collision on one. Paint on another floor. The floor on which paint is done, the entire floor has got in-floor heat. If I recall, it was something to the effect that the heat attracts the dust down or something to that effect. You could eat of the floor on the collision/bodywork floor. List goes on .

Eh, it is what it is. I know it`s going to take more than a couple of washes to get the stuff off the trim and tires....

I don`t think my indy. went through his insc. coverage and probably went out of pocket on the work.
    It got dinged while the car was parked streetside as he normally pulls the cars out of the garage during the day.
    I could have been a d1## about where the car should have been repaired...but this is someone I use and trust, so sh1# happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Yeah, my bodyshop is not of the norm...[impressive description]... List goes on .
    Wanna share the name of that Bodyshop? Inquiring minds...

Thread Information