Post Thanks / Like

Funny article... why you should get your car detailed... check out the prices! $100!!

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...etailed-2018-8

"I`ve chosen the $100 figure because that`s a decent ballpark for proper detailing."

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Funny article... why you should get your car detailed... check out the prices! $100!!

Hey Dan !
    Thanks for that Hilarious article !!

Perhaps Matthew DeBord is very easily pleased ??

And the part about a really clean, waxed, and serious Interior work in - 30 minutes---- Wow ---- Must have been 4 people on serious drugs to be able to knock that out in 120 minutes ( 4 people X 30 minutes each) even then...
    Dan F
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Funny article... why you should get your car detailed... check out the prices! $100!!

I get the $100 number if it doesn’t include any correction. A hand wash and vacuum costs $20 around here and I’m sure they would wax it for a few bucks more. $40 gets your carpets and seats extracted. Toss in a $20 tip and you hit $100. You may have more scratches and marring than you came in with but your car will be clean and somewhat shiny. These are S. GA prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously clean is now a subjective thing. 30 minutes, must have been a wash and wax soap.

Post Thanks / Like

I went in one about 5 years ago. Won’t be going back again. They used the same wash mitt on mine as the previous vehicle and no 2 bucket method

Post Thanks / Like

This is the issue though among most consumers isnt it? The market is so saturated with these quick details $35 wash and quick wax or $100 full details that the type of really involved in-depth detailing we try to accomplish and provide can be a difficult sell. It takes the right consumer/ educated consumer or willing to be educated consumer to become a customer.

Man, it takes me 30min. just to thoroughly clean wheels and tires sometimes more depending on the state of them.

Also, I find the quick wash/ production wash places use nasty/ ragged and tattered MF towels and Mitts on wheels and paint usually on multiple cars. I literally saw once as I was stopped at a light as many are in my area and the guy dropped the MF towel on the ground, picked it back up, dusted it off against his leg and proceeded to continue to use it on the paint. I just shook my head. It was on a nice Merc E class as well. Not a cheap car by any means.
    Likes Coleroad, Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess this price qualifies so easily under "You Get What You Pay For"... And FREE Extra scratches, marring, slime on the tires that will stain your clothes if you get close to it, the same slime perhaps inside the car that will cause people on bench seats to slide back and forth across them as you turn corners, etc...

And yes, there are zillions of people that will be perfectly happy to get that - service - and I am happy for them..
    Dan F
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite part...

"I recently paid about $30 to have my Toyota Prius washed, waxed, and more heavily cleaned inside than usual. The entire process ate up about half an hour on a weekend. I ended up with a quite tidy hybrid"

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to post that article on the FB detailing page, then I read it. $100 for an nice exterior wash and wax or $100 for the interior, not both.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife`s dental office offers on-site FREE car washes as a "perk" to loyal customers during the summer months (June thru mid August) by a some freshman-sop````re college girls (and a few boys). When I saw the equipment and products they used, I told my wife if they ever offer to wash employee vehicles when its slow, don`t EVER let them touch your car.
    As stated above, a "clean vehicle" is a relative term to a lot of people. So much so, that long-time customers ask for a "free" car wash even if they do not have a dental appointment during the summer time slot.
    GB detailer
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Sweden with our currency it`s a 100kr for a hand wash with a wax car soap. In your dollars it`s 11$. They put on a alkaline based degreaser and PW it off. Spray with PW chemical tank the wax car soap on the car and take both brushes and wash sponges to clean with. For a little extra $ you get it vacuumed too. This sort of businesses pops up and runs about 3-6 months then closes. They are useing employees with the unemployment program grant so they can come in the employment. But when the grant is finished they close the shop and take as much money out of it as possible. Hope that the translation is understandable. I have also seen full detailing package with compound and polish and sealant and cleaning and protection on the interior for 85$. That is from a business that have been around for a while know. I have not seen the results from this but who knows maybe they get a shiney car for while.

/Tony

Thread Information