Post Thanks / Like

Protect new paint

My sister`s car just got painted on one of the panel due to fender bender. The car is 3 years old. My questions:

- How do I protect the new paint from fading in the future so it still match with the factory paint?
    - Does waxing or sealing with quality sealant will prevent the new paint fading or just slow down the fading process? I am assuming the new paint is good quality/up to factory standard.
    - Do you have any other advice to keep the new paint and factory paint stay "new"/"match"

Currently, the new paint and factory paint are 99.999 percent matching.

Thank you
    The result caused the addiction

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protect new paint

Ask the painter how long until you can protect it, then clay the whole car to remove the overspray and polish and protect as usual. Fading won’t be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I had some paintwork done 3 years ago and they told me to wait 30 days

Post Thanks / Like

If the work was done by a good shop there should be no fading in the future. The clear that they spray has UV blocking properties in it. Give it 30 days to cure and maintain just as you would factory paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Some sorta-random thoughts (which regulars here have heard before..) follow:

-I often educate my painters on such stuff; they spray it great, but don`t keep up/bore down into the details of what happens after it`s sprayed, so *KNOW* the manufacturers specs on the paint they use unless you`re willing to just err...preferably on the side of caution
    -I am unaware of any paint that`ll completely cure in 30 days; mine (baked) invariably take at least 90 and sometimes more (never less), no matter what brand or how they`re mixed
    -During the curing/outgassing period, OCW will provide some protection and a sacrificial layer; it`s tested/approved for "post-production paintwork" by Ford and works great for this IME (zero interference with the curing, NONE)
    -The paint shouldn`t fade as long as the clearcoat was done right and is allowed to remain thick enough (so don`t over-correct any clear ever if this is a concern)
    -Whether a perfect color-match will stay that way is a crap-shoot in the long-term sense; ten years from now...nobody can say. But it oughta match perfectly when fresh (including the texture/orangepeel)
    -Once the paint has cured, keep it protected and don`t overpolish it and it oughta be fine, but if it doesn`t hold up/age well take it back and make them redo it (reputable shops will)

Thread Information