Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

How long does it take you to machine polish?

Car is finally done and protected with Sonax

Just after the compounding. No LSP-
    IMG_5989.JPG
    IMG_5991.JPG

During some Coating-
    IMG_5997.JPG
    IMG_6003.JPG

The final product-
    IMG_6005.JPG
    IMG_6008.JPG
    IMG_6010.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long does it take you to machine polish?

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    If one ever had equally experienced help doing this, wow - what would that be like ???
    Heh heh, that`s such a foreign concept to me that it might as well be an alternative universe! My experiences with "helpers" was always along the lines of "prevent them from making it take longer, let alone from doing something irreparable".

Striker- That turned out great no matter *how* long it took.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, that`s such a foreign concept to me that it might as well be an alternative universe! My experiences with "helpers" was always along the lines of "prevent them from making it take longer, let alone from doing something irreparable".

Striker- That turned out great no matter *how* long it took.
    I hear you, Brother !!!
    Just wish I could leave all I have learned to someone/others, so their path may be easier, etc.,..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the words of support fellas! She’s sitting under the car port shinning good. Can’t wait to see how the Sonax coating works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just wish I could leave all I have learned to someone/others, so their path may be easier, etc.,..
    Dan F
    That`s what we`re doing by posting here

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Hermano, we are !
    But I was thinking along the lines of actual hands-on teaching, mentoring, etc...
    This is how I learned all of this starting at age 10..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

[Yes, Accumulator is veering even farther off-topic again.. ]

... I was thinking along the lines of actual hands-on teaching, mentoring, etc...
    This is how I learned all of this starting at age 10..
    Dan F
    See how our experiences can color our views?!? I`m basically 100% self-taught at this stuff and, almost certainly as a result of that, I simply don`t relate to the one-on-one/hands-on training approach! Seriously, I learned to polish paint by sitting and thinking for hours, same as I`ve figured out almost everything else in life (to the extent that I have ).

Well, I *did* learn about undercoating/rust proofing from a guy who talked me through the steps on some jobs he was doing.

Around age 10 I was using Mirror Glaze stuff on my Schwinn Apple Crate And Chrome Polish from the local Pure Oil station. Never even thought to ask somebody for advice about it...

Post Thanks / Like

I remember putting kit paste wax on my bike. It was a black and white scoot 23. Banana seat, high rise handlebars, had a crossbar on the handlebars where your friend could sit. We would slide our baseball gloves over the handlebars and head to the baseball field. I remember seeing that pretty red schwin bike in western auto. I wanted that one for Xmas but I guess mama and daddy couldn’t afford it. I see they still sell kit wax
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good heavens..."How Long?" threads like this remind me why I could *NEVER* be a Pro.
    That, and the anal-retentive obsessive-compulsive detailer use of cotton swabs (AKA, Q-Tips) in the nooks and crannies of a vehicle adds a "non-value process" to cleaning and detailing because "no one looks in or sees those areas."
    RIGHT!! How many of you Autopians have seen cars at car shows with wax or polish residue in panel seams, on trim, or on emblems. They certainly are not OCD Autopians. Or as one of my clients have said, "There is a fine line between being truly dedicated and just crazy obsessed."
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- I don`t know how *anybody* cleans much of *anything* without using a collection of brushes and a lot of swabs. House, cars, anything. I hear lots of "oh, I don`t worry about that" and I think to myself..[you can guess ]

How do people spot soon-to-be-serious issues unless things are clean? Even if you don`t care about the appearance..I mean, the underneath of the Tahoe is Surface Rust City (just "big gauge" stuff like the frame that`ll never really rust out if kept clean), but I still keep it clean enough that I can spot problems developing.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

40-60 min once a year.....new car, no swirls.....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    That, and the anal-retentive obsessive-compulsive detailer use of cotton swabs (AKA, Q-Tips) in the nooks and crannies of a vehicle adds a "non-value process" to cleaning and detailing because "no one looks in or sees those areas."
    RIGHT!! How many of you Autopians have seen cars at car shows with wax or polish residue in panel seams, on trim, or on emblems. They certainly are not OCD Autopians. Or as one of my clients have said, "There is a fine line between being truly dedicated and just crazy obsessed."
    Great Post, Lonnie !

Totally agree about some vehicles at car shows and especially those auctions !!! You see some really good ones and some really bad ones, all oiled down to shine but the lights do not hide...

I used to buy that huge pack of Q-Tips boxes from Costco, but after I got the VX5000 Steamer, my Q-tip usage went way down..
    Nothing like pressurized Steam to really get things out of those impossible places..

But I STILL keep a supply of Q-Tips and whenever I find those really Pointed ones, I buy a lot of those for back up..

Yet, another reason, why this craft takes so long to do... I still love the feeling of driving in my just washed vehicle ! It even seems to run better, no ??

Most Clients will never know all the places we looked and found all kinds of things "out of place", but we know.. And that`s what drives us !

I tell Clients all the time - Please don`t focus on the dirt, etc., in your vehicle and feel bad, embarrassed about it".. I am here to just "Clean and Reorganize".. "You are going to love what you don`t see next time"...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Dan F
    BINGO!

Thank you both for your contributions! (And all others, of course)

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- IMO the important stuff I`ve conveyed to you was *NOT* Detailing-related

I still see Autopia.Org as being, to a great extent and maybe just to me... a Trojan Horse, where ostensibly Detail Related stuff can lead to discussions about what`s really important.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- IMO the important stuff I`ve conveyed to you was *NOT* Detailing-related

I still see Autopia.Org as being, to a great extent and maybe just to me... a Trojan Horse, where ostensibly Detail Related stuff can lead to discussions about what`s really important.
    Absolutely agree with you on that. It`s partly why I spend less time on the forums and more time doing other things. I really like what you wrote on some other thread, about reserving certain blocks of time to be on the forum, and whatnot. I really like the idea and will try and implement it myself soon. My to-do list is getting long. I`ve taken a few things OFF the list this week, so that helps!

Many thanks, Accumulator, for the detailing related things, AS WELL AS, the more important, non-detailing related

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information