Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Comparison between M205 and Griots Perfecting Cream

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I’ve had Perfecting Cream give me issues with it clumping and turning into small polish balls after one pas.
    I had the exact same thing happen to me last week while working on a jet black Porsche 911. Both Perfecting and Correcting Creams clumped up and threw the clumps all over the place creating a mess. I used both BOSS orange and yellow pads and both creams and any combination still did it. It`s the first time it`s ever done that to me though and has been working perfectly before this one time.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Perfecting cream oily like menzerna? I started with menzerna and only left because the oils were hard
    To remove before applying a coating. Before when I was a wax man it was less of an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Is the Perfecting cream oily like menzerna? I started with menzerna and only left because the oils were hard
    To remove before applying a coating. Before when I was a wax man it was less of an issue.
    None of the BOSS line is nearly as oily as Menzerna, except the Finishing Sealant. I swear it`s made with Vaseline or something the way it smears around when removing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Checked out this thread because I despise M205 (gotta get rid of all mine some day!) and IIRC the HD Polish I like has been tweaked (which I might *not* like).

I`m trying to stay above the Terminology Fray, but I only use M205 as a Finishing Polish, reaching for it after something more aggressive has done the real correction. (Note that know KB and have discussed all the various M105/M205 topics with him etc. etc.)

I`m wondering:

-Does the GG Perfecting Creme leave a better finish that M205? M205 only looks right to me until the TSO are either removed or they dry up. I`ve *always* been able to improve on M205 with another Finishing Polish.

-What about this "clumping into little balls" issue? I`ve had that happen with other stuff and the fixes were often as bad as the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

When you guys had the clumping up to little balls was it a high humidity when you polished?
    Menzerna with a high humidity and cold environment used to do so. Don`t hear alot about now though so maybe they took care of that problem.

How about useing deminishing abrasive in the finishing polish. Carpro Reflect and Scholl s30 and S40 and Sonax EX04-06 or Sonax Perfect Finish is some great options on those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    When you guys had the clumping up to little balls was it a high humidity when you polished?
    Menzerna with a high humidity and cold environment used to do so. Don`t hear alot about now though so maybe they took care of that problem.

How about useing deminishing abrasive in the finishing polish. Carpro Reflect and Scholl s30 and S40 and Sonax EX04-06 or Sonax Perfect Finish is some great options on those.
    Yes it was humid but not overly so, and all the other times I`ve used them it was almost as hot and humid but it could be the reason. I`ll know in a few days when I use them both again to be sure it`s the weather and not just this particular car for me.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m wondering:

-Does the GG Perfecting Creme leave a better finish that M205? M205 only looks right to me until the TSO are either removed or they dry up. I`ve *always* been able to improve on M205 with another Finishing Polish.

-What about this "clumping into little balls" issue? I`ve had that happen with other stuff and the fixes were often as bad as the problem.
    205 has been prefect in all but the softest paints I`ve ever used it on, I`ve never had the oily problem but i also work it in a little longer than most I think.

Other products including 205 have dried and clumped up on me throughout the years as well so it`s not really a particular product. I`ve always thought it was the particular paint just absorbing the oils prematurely or something.

Perfecting Cream does leave a better finish than 205 does on some paints, on harder paints 205 works just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried it again today on my personal car and it was better. Little bit of dusting.

I remembered the other reason why I don’t reach for it. It’s the scent. Smells like gasoline.

It does take a few extra wipes to remove the polishing oils.

I’ll stick with Sonax polishes for the time being as they are easier to wipe off and best of all zero dusting.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    C

I`m wondering:

GG PC leaves a very nice finish as does M205. Depending on the paint, I have finished flawlessly with M205 after the TSO`s have been removed and there have been other times when I need a lot less finishing abrasive, it all depends on the paint that is being polished and the depth level of the defects that I am trying to remove. And shoot, I have ran into an experience where I could not finish flawlessly using both M205 or GG PC, of course that car had been repainted multiple times, each side being painted at a time, so it is an outlier, but still valuable experience. There are circumstances when M205 and GG PC are simply too aggressive no matter what finishing pad and technique are used, and there are circumstances when M205 and GG PC finish flawlessly. Now, we here as the bunch of part time key board friends that we are, are always looking for the next level of shine, that truly may only come out of a paints finish with jeweling polish or a polish with an ultra fine abrasive or AAT abrasive will provide. M205`s abrasive will not break down, as evident that it can be worked for quite some time after spritzing the pad in use. The one thing that I have found with GG PC is that I cannot work it forever like I can M205, I experience the gum-up that some have talked about, I have never experienced M205 gumming up, as long as I have residual M205 on the panel and in the pad, I can keep spritzing the pad and work that product for as long as I want.

Accumulator, I see your affinity for 3D`s AAT, with that abrasive it breaks down with every pass that you make, so logically, the more passes you make the more refining you are doing. With M205, all that could be needed to leave a jeweled finish is one pass with not arm pressure or buffer weight on the pad at an acceptable low buffer rpm with slow to medium arm speed. The only reason that I am using GG PC at work is because the shop, an independent service shop, regularly sees 95F, and compared with the heat generated by the buffer, M205 just flashes off after one pass, I can normally get two to three out of GG PC. If I was in a climate controlled environment, M205 would be the choice compared to GG PC, even though I have to remove the TSO`s.

I am sorry to thread hijack, so I`ll bring it back. M205 is my favorite finishing polish, period, I know how to use it and when to use it. On the other hand, GG PC is an excellent alternative to M205 as it with stands harsher environments and lets me get my work done efficiently, however the one thing that I cannot do with GC PC is work it as long as I want and jewel with like I can with M205 and H20. GG PC is still a great product and will give one good results when the user knows how to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread! I’ve never used 205 or GG Perfecting Cream, my go to is Menz 3500. It’s always humid where I live and have never had any problems with it and I don’t have to spritz it with water to keep working it. The oils have never been a problem that I can remember. It’s great to have choices that work for everyone in different types of climates. Threads like these are very informative.
    Likes SWETM, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting takes on the 3D vs. M205.

At the risk of sounding defensive or full of myself, I`ve spent enough hours going through enough M205 (not just a pint or two) to feel confident that I`m dialed-in on it. Name any approach and I`ve spent hours at it. (My experiences with M205 are basically what got me thinking "I`ll never struggle to master a product again in this life".) Yet every time I`ve followed it with either the 3D or the old 1Z High Gloss I`ve achieved a better finish. Every single time.

Post Thanks / Like

I used GGPC yesterday as well. Was doing a small section of a hood, with a GG3 (more on that coming soon).

Working in a garage, the temp was 90* and humidy was at 32% (the gadget I used indicates that as being on the high side).

No issues with PC.

TheGuz - The stuff I sent you came with the G15 Kit I bought, so no telling how long it`s been in the package. Maybe we can get together this month and do some [fun] trouble shooting? hehe. yeah. Fun times!

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, TSOs are the acronym (abbreviation) for Trade Secret Oils. Meg`s has engineered and used them as a lubricant and liquid suspension "vehicle" with their micro-abrasives. The exact formulation and its chemical make-up are unknown and NOT patented: hence trade secret.
    Which is WHY Coke-Cola has never been patented: it would have to divulge the chemicals and process to produce the soda flavor every one knows and loves. Hence its exact formulation of chemicals, flavors, and food items and the process to product it is known only to a select few within the Coke-Cola company and kept in a secret vault, rumored somewhere in Atlanta GA.

If you ever look at Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) required by OSHA for ANY chemical product produced and or sold in the United States, you may see the wording "Proprietary chemical" or Proprietary ingredient" on it. In order to protect the manufacturer`s chemical "`secret" that gives this product a performance and /or economic superiority over its competitors, OSHA will allow this, although with some restrictions, as long as the personal safety hazards are listed.

By the way, TSO`s can cause incompatibility issues with Last-Step Products (LSPs), like carnauba waxes. Certain waxes may streak, or cloud up, or look hazy if these TSO`s are not removed prior to LSP application. And depending on environmental working conditions (like a cold, damp garage or shop), they may be difficult to remove or mitigate. I like 90% Iso-Propyl Alcohol over 70% or 60% IPA for this reason. It`s not ALL waxes, but one bad experience can ruin a lot of detailing effort and customer satisfaction and future business, not to mention your detailing reputation.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Heh heh, they`ve kept those TS​O a secret for a long time now! When I wasn`t gonna strip all the TSO I was sure to use M16 since it works so well over their *really* oily stuff like M07. The compatibility was always fine within the Meguiar`s family; I gotta say that none of their products ever refused to play nice together.

And I`m envious that you could strip the TSO effectively with IPA (yeah, I buy the 90% too, hey...can always dilute it).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information