Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Burns in the Paint - thoughts?

Have a client coming by tomorrow that wants his older BMW (e36 ti) looking nice for a car show he is going to. It is a driver so we are not going for perfection. He told me it has been compounded previously, so I`ll take some measurements to ensure there is something left to work with on 22 year old, clear coated paint.

The one area he specifically mentioned was the hood. Noted there are what appear to be chemical burns. A previous detailer compounded the car, it looked great for 10 minutes, and then the `burns` came back. From the description and age of car, I`m, thinking CC failure, but any ideas from this limited information?

It will be an interesting detailing session. He is bringing the car by Monday late morning/early afternoon and needs it done by 4:30 at the latest so he can get to a concert. Hopefully he allows pictures, it is a cool little car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Burns in the Paint - thoughts?

I have such damage on the `93 Audi. I just did the usual compounding/polishing, taking it really easy where the paint`s already damaged, and then LSPed right over the bad spots. Yeah, they show but the only real fix would be repainting. I decided that a touchup would just be a different type of flaw, and that I`d rather have the existing/original damage if it`s gonna be/stay imperfect anyhow. The trick seems to be staying ahead of the ReLSPing Curve, so the compromised paint is always protected and thus less prone to rapid oxidation.

I use the FK1000P, but can understand somebody using a product that`s less likely to leave white residue in the texture of the compromised areas.

(Yeah, I realize the above is of zero help to somebody with your experience, but I posted it since I have the exact same problem.)

Wonder what color it is...just as their Jet Black has weirdly soft clear, my e36 in Byzanz Metallic had especially *hard* clear, the hardest stuff I`ve ever dealt with in my life (yes, original paint).

Post Thanks / Like

Its a dark blue. I`ll post some updates once I see/work on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    Its a dark blue. .
    Ah, as is that `93 Audi of mine! Looking forward to seeing pics of what you`re dealing with, and hearing how a (More Autopian than Yours Truly) Pro will go about it.
    Thanks jatleson thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like failure, interested to find out.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, sounds like clearcoat failure in that mid 90`s paintwork..
    If it has had a hard life in the sun since then, especially where there is even more heat transfer from the engine (even worse on shut off), the clearcoat takes the most beating..

Think back to all the clear coat failures you have ever seen driving, and it will always be the top, and the hood, and sometimes the deck lid.

Good luck with that, be real careful,, and most importantly - set his expectations first -

Whoever compounded it before you, probably just blasted it and that of course, sped up the failure..

Cant ever express enough how good lighting is absolutely necessary to help good eyes spot things before they become an issue..
    Dan F
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out it was water etching. The previous owner had it in a winery and it would just get drips in the same spot over and over and over. Did a bigger write-up in the 318ti thread. Pretty impressed what HD Speed and Griot Boss Orange pads did. Not perfect, but way better than it was. Most importantly - the owner was happy.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, glad it wasn`t that big a deal after all!

Thread Information