Post Thanks / Like

Pre-Polishing Prep

As an enthusiast (not a professional), I have been washing my car, followed by claying the paint, then moving to polishing 2 times (correcting then finishing), and adding a sealant. I have seen a lot of photos of Iron Removers being used that turn purple as part of a decontamination step prior to claying. How important is this step and why would I want to add it to my regimen? Is this more geared to professionals on the board? Or should I consider this?

Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-Polishing Prep

It helps remove iron particles that if picked up in clay can mar the paint. Give Griot’s iron and fallout remover a try, works great as a wheel cleaner too!

Post Thanks / Like

It will make claying easier. It`s geared to anyone and not just professionals. Won`t hurt to give it a try.

There are many good options on the market such as McKee`s 37 Iron Remover, CarPro Ironx, Optimum Ferrex.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Until about five years ago, I never used an iron remover. Now I use CarPro IronX as part of my arsenal every year. I mostly just use it for white, silver and lighter colored cars. But it makes things a hell of a lot easier. It also helps me get tar off the bottom of the car, I use it on the wheels for the brake dust and try to get those cleaner, and it works great!
    I don`t use a clay bar anymore either.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDfx View Post
    As an enthusiast (not a professional), I have been washing my car, followed by claying the paint, then moving to polishing 2 times (correcting then finishing), and adding a sealant. I have seen a lot of photos of Iron Removers being used that turn purple as part of a decontamination step prior to claying. How important is this step and why would I want to add it to my regimen? Is this more geared to professionals on the board? Or should I consider this?
    Doing so after washing and prior to physically decontaminating the paint will ensure less marring when doing so. It will also go a long way to keeping your pads clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you folks for your informed responses; I`ll give it a shot on the next go-round before claying.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wonder how we all got along for decades, before they decided we needed these iron removers?

Claybars were not released in the US until the 80`s, so we had to wait to remove everything off of paint until then..

With every Claybar I have ever used, and that has been a lot of them, I have never had anything but really smooth, paintwork after using it properly with a good lube..

And to keep from scratching the paint with a dirty, full of embedded gunk, Claybar, I always just cut that piece off the claybar, or kneaded it back into the claybar, or later when they invented Claybar Cleaner, I used that to clean all the embedded gunk off the claybar, and it worked great..

Then they invented those really nice rubberized towels with microfiber on the side you hold onto, and I have not used a Claybar in years..
    Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand, a claybar will shear off the imbedded iron particle where an iron remover will dissolve even the imbedded iron particle. I use a fallout remover once a year as cheap insurance when doing my yearly full detail. More than once a year may be overkill unless you live where there is heavy fallout.

Post Thanks / Like

While I`m a *huge* fan of decontamination, especially Chemical Decontamination, I do find it a little odd that so many people are doing it so often; I just never need to. But hey, if it needs doing then do it.

IME, it`s kinda rare for a Chemical Decon. to also require clay, either while the chemicals are dwelling or afterwards. But again, OK..if it *needs* doing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I use a fallout remover once a year as cheap insurance when doing my yearly full detail. More than once a year may be overkill unless you live where there is heavy fallout.
    That`s all I was thinking about: my annual strip-down routine. Since the cars are in reasonable good shape to begin with, was this even necessary. Since I have never done it before, it may be helpful as a new baseline starting point.

Post Thanks / Like

ZeroDfx- Just FWIW, and I realize this is Autopian Heresy, but I don`t do that kind of fresh start on a remotely regular basis, certainly not annually. And I`m talking daily drivers that go through Ohio winters.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ZeroDfx- Just FWIW, and I realize this is Autopian Heresy, but I don`t do that kind of fresh start on a remotely regular basis, certainly not annually. And I`m talking daily drivers that go through Ohio winters.
    Point taken, Accumulator; having done the major "correction polishing" once when I acquired the car, my annual routine now tends to be more "wash/clay/finish polish/LSP" or "wash/clay/TPnS". So are you thinking I`m so far down the road on my present routine that I`m past the point where the iron decon would matter? That`s pretty much the point of my originally asking the question.

Post Thanks / Like

ZeroDfx- Eh, I can`t really say since I`m not there to evaluate it. I guess my point is that you might not oughta *assume* that a big decontamination is necessary. Maybe it is, maybe it isn`t.

Your annual routine is already a *LOT* more involved than mine (I don`t really *have* an annual routine, other than maybe another coat of LSP and that`s not on any schedule).

I guess what makes me wonder is that the way *I* read your post, like...the prevalence of Decontamination-related posts has you wondering if you should be doing it. IMO, just because lots of people do something, that doesn`t mean that you need to. You questioned whether it`s a "Pro" kind of procedure but I don`t see Pro/Amateur factoring in since something needs decontaminated or it doesn`t no matter who`s doing the work. I do suppose that Pros work on vehicles that are more neglected than yours so maybe that`s why they do it so often, seems to me that Pros here do a *lot* of Major Details, the kind of big jobs that I wouldn`t expect most Autopians will need to do for years on end.

Unless you have reason to believe that something needs done, I wouldn`t do it. But that`s just me.

Any rust-blooms? Ferrous contamination eventually starts to oxidize and you see little rust spots. Anything nasty show up if you spot-clay an area? Ever done the Baggie Test? I haven`t (ever, really), but some swear by it as a good means of feeling whether there`s significant contamination.

Thread Information