Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Hot to apply Ceramic coating?

I`ve watched so many videos and see most are somewhat similar except a few things, which I hope you guys could clarify for me.

My procedure is the following..

Using M105 with an orange pad after washing the car to prep the paint.
    wash the car again, to remove any oils from the compound.
    use an IPA wipe down on all panels.

Now comes the ceramic.

Being I live in FL it will be hot so after wiping the ceramic in a cross hatch pattern I`ll wait about 1 minute then buff with MF towel, this is where I read conflicting instructions, some say to wipe with a damp towel, others say use a dry, which is it?
    Then I`ll wait about an hour after applying the ceramic coating and use Reload from carpro to finalize the job.

Am I missing anything? should I do anything else?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hot to apply Ceramic coating?

A few things...

M105 may not finish down very well on your paint and I would suggest following it with a less aggressive polish. Which coating are you using? not all coatings flash at the same rate and some may not play well with a damp MF towel. I would wait 24hrs to use Reload.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about that too, regarding the m105, I have some m205 I could finish with a blue pad, does that sound good?

I`m using the cheap ebay ceramic coating, I`ve read many good things about it and being this will be my first time I won`t feel too bad if it doesn`t work out great

Post Thanks / Like

Do a test section to see how it finishes first. What`s the vehicle your applying the coating too?

Unfortunately I can`t help you with the coating application as I`ve not used that product. I would probably avoid using damp MF towels though as I`ve never had a coating that`s required the need for it.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does the coating come with any instructions? Or did you buy some white label stuff? If you don’t know how to apply it I’d find anything else to do a test on to see how it flashes before trying it on your car. You’ve got 2 adequate products for polishing but I don’t have a clue as to the pads. Just remember if a defect is left before you coat, it’ll be worse after.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!! i`m doing my dads PT cruiser 2006 with 45k miles on it color is blue. paint is not in bad shape but needs some correction first. Then I plan on doing my new Frontier color Silver a few weeks from now, the PT Cruiser I`m doing this weekend. for my frontier I`m going to use just M205 and a blue pad to prep.

Post Thanks / Like

The cheap eBay coatings are a bit of hit or miss proposition. There is this english guy called John and he has a youtube channel called
    Forensic Detailing Channel link below (not sure if it pasted correctly)
    https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...NWkP4dqCQfZaTZ

In there he compares some if these products. He also has an earlier vid on it.

Watch these first before purchasing.

Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I already have 3, they were only 10 bucks each.

That said I`ve seen a bunch of videos showing the longevity test on a hood, this product lasted a long time, not as long as say quartz or some others but it wasn`t crap, not even close.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fastfed View Post
    Thanks!! i`m doing my dads PT cruiser 2006 with 45k miles on it color is blue. paint is not in bad shape but needs some correction first. Then I plan on doing my new Frontier color Silver a few weeks from now, the PT Cruiser I`m doing this weekend. for my frontier I`m going to use just M205 and a blue pad to prep.
    When you talk about using 1 pad, I hope you really have at least 5-6 of each pad, pad cleaner, and a lot of microfiber towels and the appropriate microfiber cleaner..
    What machine/s do you have ?
    What size backing plate/s do you have ?
    How many pads do you have ?
    What applicator media will you use to apply the coating ?
    Not being nosey, just wanting to help..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I have a porter cable, I have many pads but usually i can get a car done with just a couple, the car in question this weekend is a PT cruiser a convertible too, it barely has 6 panels let alone need 6 pads lol. I usually blow out the pads with my compressor and clean in water/soap .

I`m using a 6" and 3" for tighter spots, tons of MF towels. So I don`t have M205 although I can get it, I have Mequires Mirror Glaze 9 , swirl remover 2.0 . I thought I read M205 and this are very close in properties

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky. YoUr back !

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    A few things...

M105 may not finish down very well on your paint and I would suggest following it with a less aggressive polish. Which coating are you using? not all coatings flash at the same rate and some may not play well with a damp MF towel. I would wait 24hrs to use Reload.

Post Thanks / Like

I found using CQuartzUK that the cross-hatch pattern didn`t work very well for me. Neither did letting it "flash."

Probably the temperature but for me it is a literal wipe-on-wipe-off affair. I can`t do too large a section or it gets very grabby and just looks terrible.

I know some other coatings have different flash times so I guess it all depends on the coating. I would agree with others 205 is a better bet for you, 105 won`t finish down very well and is probably too aggressive for you unless you really need a correction on your paint.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Now comes the ceramic.

Being I live in FL it will be hot so after wiping the ceramic in a cross hatch pattern I`ll wait about 1 minute then buff with MF towel, this is where I read conflicting instructions, some say to wipe with a damp towel, others say use a dry, which is it?
    Then I`ll wait about an hour after applying the ceramic coating and use Reload from carpro to finalize the job.

Am I missing anything? should I do anything else?
    Every product can be a little different but in the end, don`t over-think it and make it seem daunting. It`s not difficult. At the end of the day the key is to make sure you get it all off when you remove the excess so there are no high spots. Gyeon Mohs has great carrier solvents that make application super easy. Apparantly the updated CQUK 3.0 has upgraded theirs too. Second layers are even easier to apply too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Every product can be a little different but in the end, don`t over-think it and make it seem daunting. It`s not difficult. At the end of the day the key is to make sure you get it all off when you remove the excess so there are no high spots. Gyeon Mohs has great carrier solvents that make application super easy. Apparantly the updated CQUK 3.0 has upgraded theirs too. Second layers are even easier to apply too.
    Second coat on ceramic? I can see that but when do you add the second coat? how long after? Remember I`m also adding reload to it 24 hours after.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a porter cable, I have many pads but usually i can get a car done with just a couple, the car in question this weekend is a PT cruiser a convertible too, it barely has 6 panels let alone need 6 pads lol. I usually blow out the pads with my compressor and clean in water/soap .

I`m using a 6" and 3" for tighter spots, tons of MF towels. So I don`t have M205 although I can get it, I have Mequires Mirror Glaze 9 , swirl remover 2.0 . I thought I read M205 and this are very close in properties
    fastfed --
    Thanks for your reply..

I don`t know how it is possible to paint correct, polish, do anything to an entire vehicle, with 2 pads..

If you are paint correcting, the pads pick up all the dirt, a little clear coat, etc., from the paint, and even if you wipe them down between passes, eventually, the pad gets too soaked with dirt stuck in the foam pores, and needs to be changed out with a new one.. I use a Rotary and always end up using at least 6 - 5-1/4" pads to paint correct any normal size vehicle..

For any Random Orbital like your Porter Cable, you need pad rotation to get the best results from whatever pad you use with whatever product..
    5-1/4" pads on a 5" backing plate are much more rotation efficient for that machine than 6" products..

Good luck with your project !
    Dan F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information