Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Towel of choice for Rinseless/Waterless washing

Hello all,

Just being honest here, I have not done a search here for the answer.

I`m looking to buy some towels this weekend from The Rag Company and wondering what of the 3 that I`m looking at would work well with ONR type products. I have a few of the 16x16 Edgeless Eagles (Orange) that I`ve been using with Carpro Ech2O to clean off parts of the vehicle that I`ve coated (another story for another time).

I`m looking at the following three type:

Eagle Edgeless

Minx Edgeless &

Creature Edgeless

Pro`s / Con`s to the above?

I`ve liked the Eagles, but have heard on youtube and other forums that they get `heavy` when using them like I want to.

Any other towel from TRC I should be looking at?

Thank you all for your time answering my post.

Mark

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Towel of choice for Rinseless/Waterless washing

I`ve been doing rinseless exclusively for about four years, I`ve used every towel in the sun, it doesn`t make much difference, pick one out that you like and go with it. Most the towels I own around 400 GSM
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax
    Likes trashmanssd, kb2ehj liked this post
    Thanks kb2ehj thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with glen e. Most any towel that is 400 gsm will do fine. I believe the Eagle Edgeless are 400 gsm. If you go heavier than 400 gsm the towels are too heavy for me and thinner towels do not hold up to repeated uses as well. I would love to buy my towels from Autopia but the prices are too high compared to the Rag Co.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All of those towels would work. I personally use the Creature Edgeless.

But I have used general purpose 300-360gsm towels for rinseless washing with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I would love to buy my towels from Autopia but the prices are too high compared to the Rag Co.

IMO the quality of towels are not even close. The Rag Co towels for me a much better.
    Likes kb2ehj, VitreousHumor, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

From what you listed the eagle edgless. I am not a fan of the minx or creature. I found these to drag on the paint and not absorb a lot. Also not a fan of the creature dual pile sides. I actually prefer the 350 eagle edgess over the old 450`s (which are now 500). Easier to manipulate and don`t fold over onto themselves.

The pluffles are nice during the drying process of a rinseless wash.

The other towels I like from them are the edgeless 300`s for coating removal or general overall purpose and 365`s for compound, polish and wax/sealant removal.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Mary B, BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I used 600 gsm towels from MFT and they`re pretty clumsy but you eventually get the hang of it. If I were to do it over again I would buy 360 gsm-ish dual-pile towels and just use the 4 plush sides and toss`em (use low pile side on glass).

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t like *very* heavy MFs of the "two thick towels sewn together" variety as they don`t conform to what I`m washing all that well and don`t get down into crevices well. I don`t mind reasonably heavy GSM towels (~500 range) as long as they have long nap. What I don`t like are the thick/heavy ones with *short* nap.

I`m all about having long strands to get down into tight spots, and I want a *LOT* of *VERY FINE* strands, not fewer big thick ones like those "dreadlock" MFs (which I utterly despise).

I don`t refold my MFs to get max use of of them, preferring to just get out another one. But I still don`t like the "dual plush" type MFs that have differing nap on the two sides. I don`t want to have to give *any* thought to whether I`m "using the right side".

I do use those for some household stuff, where I working deliberately enough that it`s not much of a hassle. But I don`t want one more variable to deal with when washing, it`s enough of a, uhm...task...as it is.

What about the blue Griot`s edgeless? I`d kinda lean towards getting those for the body proper and the orange Eagles for areas more likely to be really soiled (somehow think those two colors would work for me that way). Wouldn`t surprise me if the GG and the Eagles were the same, but I`d still consider giving GG the sale.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like a lower GSM to actually wash (Garry Dean Method) and a higher GSM to dry. Minx to wash - Eagle to buff/dry.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Likes DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to pick up a bag of microfiber this week and then read on the label its was edgeless and the nap was only on one side only, I didn`t buy it cause it didn`t look like a proper microfiber towel more like a rag with less surface usage ! ...LoL

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 of these towels that you have listed. Primarily for spray on type washes. My Eagle orange 450s are now only WW.
    I`m trying the Minx, seams to soak up liquid quick. Plus I used it to remove liquid wax, still in the trying stage.

Another towel that I`m trying is the WG Uber 16x24 edgeless, now that the price is coming down, very nice towel.
    Right up there with the Eagle 350 edgeless, or above , but can`t find the GSM, thinkin` 375.

Please post up what you decide.

Post Thanks / Like

While we are talking about towels, I find the towels with two different nap sides very useful. The low nap side is good for many things, like glass or removing coatings then flipping to the longer side to buff. I was buying them cheap off of Amazon from CG, then the price went up. I don’t like them for waterless washing though, I like to use all sides of the towel to save time (and towels).

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bunch of Eagle Edgeless and they are fine towels. I periodically try different towels from the Autogeek / Autopia stores looking for something comparable at a reasonable price, since I`d rather do business here. The most recent ones I`ve tried are these: https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mf-e...l#.WyfRX1VKjIU
    They`re soft, equally plush on both sides, very absorbent, don`t leave lint and have become my new go-to for waterless washes and QD`s. I use the Meguiar`s plush MF mitt for rinseless washes and either Cobra WW`s or Griot`s PFM`s to dry so I can`t comment on their performance as a rinseless towel.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I`m finding this interesting! Lots of different preferences, some of which I wouldn`t have thought of.

I do find it odd that people use various MFs on glass though; Glass Towels (generally, but not always) excepted, every plush MF I`ve ever had has left lint that I can see on glass. Maybe not when new, but eventually. And most did it right from the start.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use the Edgeless 365 for my rinseless washes but I also use the Big Red Sponge. BSR for the big/ main panels and use the MF`s for the more intricate areas getting into door handles, bumpers, grill etc. For drying I love the Platinum Pluffles as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m finding this interesting! Lots of different preferences, some of which I wouldn`t have thought of.

I do find it odd that people use various MFs on glass though; Glass Towels (generally, but not always) excepted, every plush MF I`ve ever had has left lint that I can see on glass. Maybe not when new, but eventually. And most did it right from the start.
    Very true. My experience has been the same. Hence I use the cheap, low GSM, yellow MFs from Costco for the glass. They have longer nap on one side (yet not plush) and shorter on the other; the latter being ideal for glass IMO. I rub the crap out of my windows with it; sometimes literally (bird bombs). Ha!

OP, I don`t do waterless washes but 99% of my washes are rinseless. I use Griot`s ultra plush MFs for those. I don`t remember the exact model name, but they are dark gray with red piping. Extremely thick, high GSM towels. Not edgeless unfortunately, but I have not found the piping to cause marring with rinseless washes. I follow a pseudo-GDWM and 4 are enough for my car (mid-size coupe) with 2 gallons of water + ONR/Uber and 5 for my wife`s large SUV.
    Being p!ssed off is better than being p!ssed on.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information