Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Jeweling Polish ?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    IMO it`s not an either/or with regard to diminishing/non abrasives, but rather a matter of how fine the (final) cut is. I wouldn`t expect a Burnishing Polish to remove visible marring, i.e., "do correction" as I`d use something far too mild for that. Not that I`ve done this for years or expect to any time soon And yeah, I`m gonna keep saying "Burnishing" instead of "jeweling" until all the machinists/gunsmiths/watchmakers change their definitions of those two words. Last jeweler I asked used "burnishing" for this kind of thing too.
    I used write up manufacturing processes for zinc die-casting plants and "burnishing" was when we used stainless steel shot media instead of stone polishing media on cast parts in a tumbler ! ...LoL I am talking about huge industrial tumblers not these little guys, but same principle ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irVUt1Bdiug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    End result may be comparable but its not honest to god jeweling. And nobody says you have to jewel(or burnish as some prefer to say) to get great looking paint. But jeweling is a specific technique, not simply a matter of what kind of polish you use, or what the label says.
    I guess jeweling gives us Autopians more "machine time" with our beloved rotaries and DA polishers or else we would have nothing to polish, I just polished my matte finished walnut Cadelli cigar humidor I picked up at a garage sale and now it looks like $2500 Davidoff polished humidor ! ...LoL
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t beat the gloss you get from 3M Ultra Fine Polish + LC Red with Rotary.

To me, jeweling should only be performed after the paint is completely finished down. The liquid should have little to no abrasives and the pad be the finest finishing. You shouldn’t be removing marring or haze. Just building gloss.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes EdLancer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if anybody is burnishing to improve the finish left by (supposed) Finishing Polishes such as M205. Last time I did it was also the last time I did one of ours with M205. No visible flaws, seemed "fine", but I knew it could be significantly better. But... I sure wouldn`t bet $ that anybody else could tell the diff.

EdLancer- Heh heh, that "having nothing to polish" was a specific goal of mine for *MANY* years, a goal I`m happy to have attained I do sometimes refer to my "beloved Cyclos", but if I never touched `em again that`d be swell.

And hey, that "Steel Ball Burnishing" is neat! I was indeed expecting something more along the lines of a tumbler, but that`s really cool! Oh man, a huge one like you documented would really be something. Thanks for posting that.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if anybody is burnishing to improve the finish left by (supposed) Finishing Polishes such as M205. Last time I did it was also the last time I did one of ours with M205. No visible flaws, seemed "fine", but I knew it could be significantly better. But... I sure wouldn`t bet $ that anybody else could tell the diff.

EdLancer- Heh heh, that "having nothing to polish" was a specific goal of mine for *MANY* years, a goal I`m happy to have attained I do sometimes refer to my "beloved Cyclos", but if I never touched `em again that`d be swell.

And hey, that "Steel Ball Burnishing" is neat! I was indeed expecting something more along the lines of a tumbler, but that`s really cool! Oh man, a huge one like you documented would really be something. Thanks for posting that.
    Is Meg`s M205 considered a "finishing polish" these days ? I might simply just get a bottle of Meg`s Ultimate Polish to try as they are available at large brick and mortars stores here and they go on special from time to time. I calculated that two bottles of 16oz Ultimate Polish is cheaper than a 32oz bottle of M205 that I have to order online. Since I got some many detailing products I haven`t bought any new stuff for the past 8 years. My tin of FK1000P is on its way can`t wait to try it out next week when I detail my own ride.

Yeah it was one of my projects to install a large capital equipment "inline" straight line vibrator, the parts simply start from one end and comes out the other all polished similar to a conveyor belt pizza oven, we have even thrown in complete engine blocks into it and it comes out all polished and sharp edges rounded and deburred. A tumbler is simply a cement barrel mixer with media and soap, it`s one of the cheaper ways for companies that don`t want to invest in a true round or inline vibrator, but it is normally reserved for rough or none critical parts. When we did furniture hardware we would plate the parts and then use a black oxide on the parts and once we burnish it with steel shots it would polish the exposed areas of the part and the black oxide would stay in the areas where the shots can`t reach to give it that antique look.
    They call themselves Giant, its puny compared to the one I had installed it was over a 100 feet long and about 4 feet wide.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKf7KCChcBY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    Is Meg`s M205 considered a "finishing polish" these days ? I might simply just get a bottle of Meg`s Ultimate Polish to try as they are available at large brick and mortars stores here and they go on special from time to time. I calculated that two bottles of 16oz Ultimate Polish is cheaper than a 32oz bottle of M205 that I have to order online. Since I got some many detailing products I haven`t bought any new stuff for the past 8 years. My tin of FK1000P is on its way can`t wait to try it out next week when I detail my own ride.
    Yes M205 and Ultimate Polish are both finishing polishes. UP is derived from M205 but has less cut and more polishing oils compared to M205.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes EdLancer liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Yes M205 and Ultimate Polish are both finishing polishes. UP is derived from M205 but has less cut and more polishing oils compared to M205.
    I think UP is right up my ally less aggressive than M205 and more in tune with Meg`s #82 in aggressiveness, more polishing oils just the right choice for my own well kept vehicles.
    I just placed a huge order for detailing supplies and the only item that was not on my list was the polish because I couldn`t decide on which one. Funny how sometimes the right products is right in front of us ! ...LoL
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- Oh gee, *more* TSO than M205?!? And I can`t stand M205 primarily over that issue. I`d *never* get those oils off to my satisfaction without more work than I`m ever gonna do. I could rant for ages about how disappointed I was with M205 but it was the only nondiminishing Finishing Polish available for a while. Still have that [freakin`] gallon of it sitting around...

EdLancer- Can you tell I`d recommend a different Finishing Polish?!?

Sure hope you like the FK1000P, what with all the praise I heap upon it. I expect that you will, but then there`s Finick, who can`t get his to flash off right...wonder what`s up with him...

All this talk of burnishing/tumbling/etc. is gonna get me all revved up about stuff I`ve been happy without! Sold off..thinking...?three? tumblers back around 2002.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you tell I`d recommend a different Finishing Polish?!?
    Which ...which ...which do you like ??? ...LoL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    Which ...which ...which do you like ??? ...LoL
    I think he likes HD Polish, another great option for a fine finishing polish.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Scholl`s S40 is another one to consider.
    I just just got some of this polish. Really looking forward to trying it out. Are you using s DA or rotary with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Except for the bottles, which were apparently designed by a complete idiot, S40 is very nice, especially on softer paint. A bit less effective on really hard paint. I prefer it far more than Menzerna 3800/4500 which I was often never really sure was doing much.

Have used with both the LC Crimson Hydrotech pad and Scholls Honey Spider pad, both Flex 3401 and Rupes 15.

Very little product needed on pad, works thru its cycle quicker than Menz 3800/4500. I think Scholls refers to it as their Rapid Diminishing Abrasive Technology or some such marketing mumbo jumbo.

I`m too chicken-sh*t to ever pick up a rotary so no idea how it works with that.Which Jeweling Polish ?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I just just got some of this polish. Really looking forward to trying it out. Are you using s DA or rotary with it?

Post Thanks / Like

I think he likes HD Polish, another great option for a fine finishing polish.
    I really like HD Polish+ for light stuff. Not a whole lotta cut but a very enjoyable SMAT product.

Post Thanks / Like

I think [Accumulator] likes HD Polish, another great option for a fine finishing polish.
    Right. Haven`t tried the Polish+ though. I`d try Griot`s Perfecting Creme in a heartbeat too.

No more diminishing abrasives for me, though if I *did* want to go that route I still have plenty of 1Z High Gloss, which was my fave Finishing Polish for a long, long time. That`s what I used for burnishing back when I did such stuff, and it was one of the *VERY* rare polishes I would often "work to powder". Zero issues from doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

Im with Budget on S40. One of the best finishing polishers on soft Japanese paints. I use it on top of S20 AIO and with a right technique you can get a little extra gloss out of clear coat.
    Also keep in mind that there is a technique tweak required (IMHO) when switching from smart to dat. With DAT i tend to hit the clear coat harder at start to get the extra cut and then ease off to let the finer particles do the work.
    With SMART, you can work it the same. The only consideration is the amount of work time you can get out of before oils dry out.

Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information