Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What.. In The. World is on my paint?????? Paint stained under clear

I have been using Megs HyperDressing D170 (1:1) and Megs All-Season Dressing D160 for as long as I can remember without issue on all of my personal vehicles plus on those of many friends vehicles/boats/ATV`s that I have detailed in the past.

Specifically on my Tahoe I have always used D170 applied with a Chemical Guys tire/wheel brush ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). It works perfectly with the tires to get in the grooves and after a second wipe with an old MF there is minimal, if any sling-off.

Yesterday, I did my routine every 3 day cleaning. Family and I decided to take a trip to a local destination about 60 miles away each way. We got back late last night around 11. Once we got everyone situated I ran back out to the garage to remove any bug splatter off of the paint and will re-wash again in the morning. I did run into a very quick/light rainstorm that must have liquefied the tire shine??

Then I noticed these brown/yellowed spots all over the paint. Specifically it only stained the painted plastic trim -- bumpers, door molding, one spot on the mirror and all over the fender flares.

I dam near had a panic attack. I tried my QD, Blackfire AIO, and a quick pass of Menzerna Intensive Polish on a microfiber by hand with no luck. Any suggestions on how to get this crap off? I may try Laquer thinner or even a light swipe with some gasoline / brake parts cleaner in an inconspicuous spot...

For what it`s worth, A few weeks ago I just did (for the first time) a minor paint correction with a quick pass of Menzerna IP (Orange Pad) followed with a pass of Blackfire AIO, 2x of Wolfgang 3.0 and 1x of Blackfire sealant. In theory, it should have had plenty of protection on the paint.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what this is or how to approach getting it off? I am a mess.

Here is what it typically looks like:

Aaannnnd here are the photos that I took last night in the garage.

Fender Flares

Mirror Cap

Fender Flares

Rear Bumper cover

A spot even got on the top of the fender flare

The remainder of the stuff that got on the painted metal of the vehicle ...well MOST of it came off but not all of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Holy socks Batman what happened to my paint?????? Paint stained under clear

IF you used hyperdressing, I don`t think that is it. HD is water based, so it would be easy to wipe off the paint with a damp mf towel. Almost looks like you possibly ran over some unknown substance on the road. And it ended up in those areas. Could D160 do that? Don`t know. Is ASD silicone based?
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    IF you used hyperdressing, I don`t think that is it. HD is water based, so it would be easy to wipe off the paint with a damp mf towel. Almost looks like you possibly ran over some unknown substance on the road. And it ended up in those areas. Could D160 do that? Don`t know. Is ASD silicone based?
    I have used hyperdressing for years without incident.

The tires are new. Could it be a reaction with a new tire and the d170?

I have tried everything in my cabinet. Lacquer thinner just barely touches it. 😐

Post Thanks / Like

Could be blooming from the new tires. The petroleum`s leaching out. I would not dress them with anything for a few weeks. Just clean them with a good cleaner. Then reapply the D170 and take note of the results.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Could be the tire blooming and mixed with the d170 did it fling off.

Now this is me thinking out loud and others may chaim in if it`s not a way to go. And test it in an inconspicuous place first. I think of trying a tire and rubber rejuvenate cleaner since that is effective to blooming on tires why not on the paint. Spray a little on a mf towel tip and hold it on för 30-60 seconds and gently wipe it and see if it desolves the spots. Then wash it afterwards and apply LSP to the worked places.

How long do you let the laquer thinner sit on the spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Could be the tire blooming and mixed with the d170 did it fling off.

Now this is me thinking out loud and others may chaim in if it`s not a way to go. And test it in an inconspicuous place first. I think of trying a tire and rubber rejuvenate cleaner since that is effective to blooming on tires why not on the paint. Spray a little on a mf towel tip and hold it on för 30-60 seconds and gently wipe it and see if it desolves the spots. Then wash it afterwards and apply LSP to the worked places.

How long do you let the laquer thinner sit on the spot?
    Forgive me but what is “tire blooming?

The tires do have a distinctive rubber odor - They were ordered in to discount tire since they did not stock the size. I’m assuming they’re pretty fresh?

I tried the lacquer thinner on a MF and just very lightly rub the area and it seemed to reduce some of the spotting but not all of it.

As I mentioned before, I tried to use Menzerna IP by hand on a small micro fiber-I may try it on either my DA or my rotary and see what happens.

I certainly cannot be the only one that has had this issue.

I just hate to use lacquer thinner on the plastic bumpers and the fender flares-that could cause some serious damage to the paint

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention-I did not let the lacquer thinner sit on the spot. I simply rubbed it very very gingerly for roughly a 3 to 4 second whipe and then Did a quick wipe over with QD

I have a few cars coming up this month to detail and I am now very apprehensive of using tire shine ��

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never seen anything like it. I used d170 for years and don’t really get much sling at all. D170 is water based so it should come off easily if that is what it is. You must have run into something on the road, especially if it is that hard to remove. Do you have any Tar-X, because it sounds like it is tar based since it is so hard to remove, but the yellow color really throws me off.

Post Thanks / Like

Have tried with a DA and a rotary using Menzerna IP. Nothing. Mineral spirits didn’t touch it and lawyer thinner las produced minimal results.

I did a few searches and it looks like others have had this problem with other tire shine product and white paint. No real definition on how to remove it.

I have reached out to Meguiars .....super pi$$3d....

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a tar remover may work.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I did don’t know anything about hyper dressing but that looks like tire dressing sling. Did you ever have dealer apply after service ? Either that or you ran over something like tire dressing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Perhaps a tar remover may work.
    Tried that was well as some goof-off adhesive/tar remover that I had in my cabinet. No luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I did don’t know anything about hyper dressing but that looks like tire dressing sling. Did you ever have dealer apply after service ? Either that or you ran out hey something like tire dressing.
    No, the only dressing that I have ever used is megs all season and now I have been using megs hyper for quite some time. Im 1/2 way through my gallon jug.

It looks like it is completely in the clear in a lot of areas. On the fender flares where they wrap into,the wheel well, I held a MF applicator sopping wet with lacquer thinner and it didn’t touch it. I’m surprised that I didn’t melt the paint off.

All of the brown spots came off of the painted metal panels. It seems like it’s only the painted plastic that is affected now. Fender flares and bumper covers. Oddly enough with the lacquer thinner on the door moldings it wiped right off. The bumper covers and flares are ruined and will probably need a repaint unless someone has any suggestions?

Ieven went as far as trying metal polish on a spot under the rear bumper where the painted panel rolls with no success.

Post Thanks / Like

ETA. I also tried full strength purple power and brake parts cleaner on two areas under thr wheel wells. No success with either.

Post Thanks / Like

So it looks like the issue is with the tires having a chemical reaction with the hypershine. A mold release agent is applied to new tires.
    ...when dressing is applied the reaction that I have on my vehicle occurs ...

I ordered some iron x...maybe that will work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information