Post Thanks / Like

EXO V3..aarrgg...or ooops.

As a practice vehicle I did CSL and EXO V3 yesterday on my truck and I see this morning that there are several spots where I didn`t get V3 completely wiped clear on a door and naturally it won`t wipe clean now. If I apply another coat of V3 on the door will it cover these splotchy areas? It`s been about 20 hours since I applied it.

It`s not worth it to me to polish the door and do it again but if another coat will cover it I will do that but my guess is that it`ll require a polish and re-application but I thought I`d ask.

thnx
    ks
    2002 2V, Twin 60`s, Pi Heads, E85
    902HP @ 32psi, Silver Fox 4R70, Full Length 2.5" Exhaust, Mustang Dyno.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EXO V3..aarrgg...or ooops.

Encountered the same issue and I spot polished off the 3 high spots with my Rupes nano.

It looks like you are going to have to polish them off and start over. Also get yourself multiple towels.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Thnx, that`s what I thought.. Between CSL and EXO I went through 7 towels yesterday to try and create a "safe" process before I do my black car. All towels are tossed in the rag bin so I`ll use brand new ones before doing the car and hopefully I`ll be able to use EXO V4 instead of V3.

ks
    2002 2V, Twin 60`s, Pi Heads, E85
    902HP @ 32psi, Silver Fox 4R70, Full Length 2.5" Exhaust, Mustang Dyno.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KEVINS View Post
    Thnx, that`s what I thought.. Between CSL and EXO I went through 7 towels yesterday to try and create a "safe" process before I do my black car. All towels are tossed in the rag bin so I`ll use brand new ones before doing the car and hopefully I`ll be able to use EXO V4 instead of V3.

ks
    You need to use a lot more towels than that. I used to use CSL/EXO. Refold the towels often so you`re using a clean side. Have one towel for kind of spreading the coatings and removing the majority of the residue then another towel for cleaning up the rest of the residue. I use 24-30 towels on a two stage coating. With that combo you can probably use a few less, but you want to make sure your not rubbing coating that`s almost dry over the paint. Also wipe slowly, especially if it`s hot, wiping too fast can cause the product to dry and make up it difficult to get off or possibly leave a high spot. Some of these things I`ve learned using pro coatings but using these practices will help with those coatings also. I also keep a bucket of water with some APC in it to throw the towels in as soon as you`re done with them, then wash when done.

What kind of towels are you using to remove the residue?

Post Thanks / Like

30 towels times 8 sides = 240 areas for wiping the coated area. I never use more than 6 towels. You should not be removing that much coating residue unless you are putting the coating on very heavily. I use the CarPro suede towels for my wipe and I can barely see any residue on my towels and it does not soak through the towel. After the coating flashes not much is left. I apply a 2’ by 2’ area then wipe. One of us is either using too many towels or one of us is not using enough. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    30 towels times 8 sides = 240 areas for wiping the coated area. I never use more than 6 towels. You should not be removing that much coating residue unless you are putting the coating on very heavily. I use the CarPro suede towels for my wipe and I can barely see any residue on my towels and it does not soak through the towel. After the coating flashes not much is left. I apply a 2’ by 2’ area then wipe. One of us is either using too many towels or one of us is not using enough. Lol
    With the SPS coatings in the heat we have I have to use this many. Actually when I do it By myself I use 16-18. My daughter helps me quite a bit and I don`t think she keeps very good track of which sides she`s used. Then she`s always good for dropping a few. As stated these are practices that came from necessity with this particular coating. Also depends on the size of the vehicle. Point is dragging almost dried coating will lead to high spots, it can also lead to a less than perfect finish. With EXOv2 &3 I could spread it til it was about gone. I used to use quite a few towels with CSL

I would much rather wash 8-10 more towels than deal with high spots.

Thread Information