Post Thanks / Like

Storage solutions for detailing gear

Looking for a bit of advice on storing my detailing supplies. I don`t have a lot, but I do have a polisher, a bunch of pads, microfiber, and a box full of polish, soaps, wax etc. For the most part I`ve been using plastic tubs to keep the mf and pads clean, and stashing them out of the way. But it`s getting inconvenient.

So, since I`m buying a new tool chest - the 44" box from Harbor Freight, I was thinking of adding something for dedicated detail storage. Here`s the box I`m getting :

https://m.harborfreight.com/tool-sto...net-64133.html

For detailing supplies, I`m thinking of the matching side locker: https://m.harborfreight.com/tool-sto...ker-64157.html

But it occurred to me one of the smaller 4 or 5 drawer carts could be a good bet:https://m.harborfreight.com/tool-sto...ool-carts.html

Any suggestions or experience with these items? All my stuff would fit in either I`m sure.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Storage solutions for detailing gear

I really like the tool chest for tools and polishes, bottles (if you lay them down)

For me the cabinet would would work fine for everything except the towels. I keep my towels is seal plastic totes so they stay clean. I always seem to have a layer of dust inside my cabinets and drawers in my garage.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I thought I replied. Thanks for the comment. I think I`ve crossed the locker off my list. It won`t be enough space.

On the one hand, mechanics carts would be great, with drawers to keep MF separate and I could wheel it around with me.

On the other, service carts are cheap, but I`d still need additional sealed storage for MF. The drawers seem more convenient. I could still keep extra stuff on the shelves.

On the other other hand, I like shiny tool boxes

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost 20 years ago, I bought a bunch of Millers Pride cabinets from Home Depot and they are still going strong..
    They are long, tall, rectangles with adjustable shelving in them.. They have hard plastic adjustable feet that are handy if they floor is not dead level, or you can set them flat on the floor..
    They are 30 inches wide, with 2 doors in front, and 60 inches tall without the adjustable plastic feet...
    They are 15 inches deep, 16 inches deep with the doors installed.. I have 6 of them going down one wall of the garage, and they are all not stuffed full of everything I will ever need to do the work...
    Dan F
    Likes Bill1975 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got open shelf racking from Menards. Have sealed, Really Useful Boxes from Staples to store all MF, pads and polishers (really nice bins). Use shoebox size plastic bins to hold chemicals. 5 gallon buckets with organizers to hold brushes etc. I`m going to look to standardize spray bottles. I think Griots 22 ounce bottles are the perfect size, need to find a supplier.

Great for keeping everything organized in the garage and was able to bring most of it with me to a buddies house to work on his car. Some pictures in here --> https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...tailing/garage

Post Thanks / Like

The carts are nice because they`re inexpensive, and you`re not going back and forth to the garage to get stuff....here`s a pic of mine...started with a Luxor EC111-B (around 90.00), added 16x16 plastic peg board from Home Depot (brand Everbilt).....as you can see...it hold a bunch of stuff. All of my towels are in plastic storage boxes, and I have a 72Hx36wx24d HDX storage shelf from home Depot too.

Storage solutions for detailing gear-cart.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Bill1975, Tc99m liked this post

Thread Information