Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailer`s... Are We Insane?

In-sane (ĭn-sān′): is the act of performing of thorough cleaning, restoration, and finishing of a motor vehicle/motorcycle/boat/plane, to produce a show-quality cleanliness and polish. Insanity can be performed on a vehicle`s exterior and/or interior for long, drawn out periods of time.

Jk... its the definition for Detailer but when you think about what we do, the time/money we spend and the level of perfection we desire, its the same damn thing!
    Likes ShakingHorizons, Tc99m, shortspark liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailer`s... Are We Insane?

Can’t speak for the rest of you fine folks. But Ronny and I are certifiably!

Post Thanks / Like

Some people might think that the money we spend and all the work we do on our cars constitutes insanity, and in some cases they are right. But many of us are simply built that way both in our personality and our values. For some of us is not a mental condition, it is who we are. We detailers (pro or hobbyists) have an elevated sense of pride in caring for our cars. But usually it is not limited to that but other things in life as well such as our lawns and gardens, our homes, maybe even our personal appearance. I have found over the years that people that are "insane" in caring for their vehicles usually are the same in how they take care of things in many other areas. And this all has to do with pride in our car and in our own work ethic; whatever we do we want to do it right and as best as we can, no matter the work involved or the expense. There is a fine line between insanity and pride - I guess it depends on your point of view.
    Likes nickclark08, Dispatch, RaysWay, 06vrss, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks 06vrss, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortspark
    ...I have found over the years that people that are "insane" in caring for their vehicles usually are the same in how they take care of things in many other areas. And this all has to do with pride in our car and in our own work ethic; whatever we do we want to do it right and as best as we can, no matter the work involved or the expense...
    I agree completely.

Eh, some folks think I`m pretty serious about this Detailing stuff, but I`m at least that serious about pretty much every aspect of my life. Actually, a whole *lotta* stuff is much more important to me and takes up far more of my resources. I doubt Detailing is in the Top 5 of my priorities, it`s just a part of doing the Vehicle Ownership thing properly.
    Likes Dispatch, shortspark, 06vrss, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I agree completely.

Eh, some folks think I`m pretty serious about this Detailing stuff, but I`m at least that serious about pretty much every aspect of my life. Actually, a whole *lotta* stuff is much more important to me and takes up far more of my resources. I doubt Detailing is in the Top 5 of my priorities, it`s just a part of doing the Vehicle Ownership thing properly.
    Well, we all know you`re crazy, the Youtube video of you, that circus clown and the goat says it all...

Post Thanks / Like

Dispatch- Heh heh heh...

Ya see, that`s why there`s nothing on the internet from/about me. I can always go all George Thoroughgood "..it wasn`t me".

Post Thanks / Like

Include me on that list....
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Include me on that list....
    Though actually there *are* some pix of me now...trying to keep people from posting them would`ve required, uhm...being a [jerk].

But yeah...everything`s forever on the internet, kinda a heavy concept.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Though actually there *are* some pix of me now...trying to keep people from posting them would`ve required, uhm...being a [jerk].

But yeah...everything`s forever on the internet, kinda a heavy concept.
    Hey have no fear, those photos will never see the light of day, for a price...

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh heh...
    Likes Dispatch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You ain`t crazy if people gives you compliment on how great your your car looks and you have to tell them its a 12 year old daily beater that was last detailed over a year ago ! ...LoL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    You ain`t crazy if people gives you compliment on how great your your car looks and you have to tell them its a 12 year old daily beater that was last detailed over a year ago ! ...LoL
    My wife gets compliments pretty much weekly on her A8, people can`t believe it`s an `00, let alone that it hasn`t been polished for years.

Post Thanks / Like

WARNING: [Rant] follows...

Ya know...I wish we Detailers would quit talking about it in terms of "addiction"/etc. I figure we`re mostly just being, uhm...cute...you know, "just kidding!" and all that, but still..

I take the whole subconscious/self-talk topic very seriously. Yeah yeah, that again...gee, I take *everything* so seriously, but hey..IMO Life is serious business.

The subconscious will do its thing whether we want it to or not so you gotta watch what you feed it. People who joke about having issues often end up really having...issues.

[/rant]

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. At first reading this thread I was going to argue it isn`t insanity, but mearly people taking great lengths to care for a high value item they own in order to keep it looking it`s best for as long as possible...or doing the same for others not able to do the work themselves. Then I thought about how much time I spend talking about detailing, reading up on product reviews and techniques, and browsing products at various online stores. My argument fell apart before it started...detailing is a mental illness for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have some sort of OCD - likely yes (hence this response )
    Is OCD the same as insanity - No
    Thus we are not Insane. My wife may not agree with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information