Post Thanks / Like

SuggestionS on How-to Prep a Vehicle at a Car Show

Fellow Autopians:
    Since it is the season for car shows (at least it MIGHT start in the Upper Midwest after our record snowfall in mid-April), I am looking for suggestions on how to properly prep a vehicle that has been driven to car show. This would include specific car-care chemical products, tools and/or equipment, microfibers, and methodologies using such items. I know many of you drive your garage queens, sports cars, or pristine newer vehicles to such car/vehicle shows during this season, and I`d like to know what you do to it to get it looking its best at the show after spending an inordinate amount of time and money getting it ready for such an event.
    This is kind of an extension of the thread "What can help keep a car cleanest between washes?", as weird as it may sound.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. (Hoping Ronkh and Detail512 will chime in, since they are consummate car show aficionados)
    NO, I do not have such a vehicle myself, but I do have friends and associates who do and they know that I detail vehicles for a hobby, so they ask me what I would suggest for their vehicles, hence this thread and appeal for your help.
    (I am trying to "discourage" the use of the California Duster brushes that seem so prevalent at these shows and the logic "Hey EVERYONE uses it, so it must be good")
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SuggestionS on How-to Prep a Vehicle at a Car Show

I normally dont do anything to mine @ the show except clean the wheels and tires along with the tread and also the wheel wells. The condition of my paint is more important than a trinket

My car is prepped the night before or day or two prior and left in the garage. I have found that my car collects little dust anymore - most dust is on the rear end below the spoiler between the tail lights-- and I just leave that. If I really felt that I needed to clean it I would take a bucket of water with waterless wash and a few mf towels and do a section @ a time with the towel only going in the bucket once. I like the 450-480 gsm edgeless towels.

Post Thanks / Like

You could premix a bucket of Rinseless wash, and put several towels in it. When you get to the show do a `bucket of towels` method wash to clean off the travel grime. I have done this on a few occasions. Otherwise use your favorite Waterless Wash to clean.

If you want to add a little extra `pop` you could add a glaze to it too - I like Adam`s Brilliant Glaze. It can be applied to the paint, windows, and chrome.

If the event is on a golf course, take some terry cloth towels to wipe the tires and a can of compressed air to blow off the bits of grass.

If you lift the hood of car and can see the top of the tires (thinking Corvettes), maybe dress them after parking too.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    You could premix a bucket of Rinseless wash, and put several towels in it. When you get to the show do a `bucket of towels` method wash to clean off the travel grime. I have done this on a few occasions. Otherwise use your favorite Waterless Wash to clean.

If you want to add a little extra `pop` you could add a glaze to it too - I like Adam`s Brilliant Glaze. It can be applied to the paint, windows, and chrome.

If the event is on a golf course, take some terry cloth towels to wipe the tires and a can of compressed air to blow off the bits of grass.

If you lift the hood of car and can see the top of the tires (thinking Corvettes), maybe dress them after parking too.
    ^ excellent advice ^
    All I could do is make what he said more verbose.... He`s right on the $$$$

Clean wins

Also make sure interior is clean no extraneous garbage cups/cigs/vapes etc, maybe dress seats/dash etc, use a brush on the carpet to make it look it`s best. LEAVE THE WINDOWS OPEN.... I`d hate to tell you how many cars lose cuz they left their windows closed.

I`ll post other tips as I remember em. Kinda tired right now.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Like Re-tired my car is usually prepped before the show and I don`t like to mess with the paint anymore than I have to. I do carry a couple of gallons of distilled water and a small garden sprayed to flush away brake dust on my wheels. There are a few shows I go to that are a few hours away so if possible I try to actually wash the car in a coin-op car wash using my own bucket, mitts, wash solution, etc.. I transfer stuff like Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe, FK425, and a handful of others into smaller 8 oz spray bottles. I also carry smaller bottles of ONR and Poorboy`s SS&S.

My mission at cars shows is to have fun driving there and visiting with old/new friends, so as long as my car is presentable I save the cleaning for when I get home. I always cringe when I see guys wiping their cars down with a bottle of QD and a dirty towel that they also use on the wheels. I had to chastise one of my buddies when I saw him use his car duster on his wheels a few years ago I`ve since slowly tried to introduce my friends into better car cleaning habits.

Edit: I guess I should add that I`m driving an older car (1940) that still has 1/2 of the 27 year old clear-coat lacquer in excellent shape so I try to preserve it as best I can.
    Last edited by Eliot Ness; 04-26-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: edit
    John
    Likes Stokdgs, re-tired liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My reason for asking is that your driven show car, whatever it is, will probably get dirty in some way. Most of the larger car shows in this area (Northeast and Central Wisconsin) are held in fields, golf courses, parks, or church lawns and NOT paved parking lots (smaller club ones at bars or eating establishments are in paved parking lots) They get dusty just from driving into your show spot OR if you are on of the unlucky ones who`s particular group vehicle show area is near the flow of show car traffic and the wind is the "wrong" direction, you can end up with a dusty, dirty vehicle. I know there are a plethora of Quick-Detailer Sprays or Wash-n-Gloss sprays on the market, and some are more/better suited for car shows, IE, there are car show "favorites" for this purpose.
    I do like the idea of a filled bucket/microfiber rinseless wash with either Optimum No-Rinse or some wash very similar.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

If I have to clean an area I use Griot’s rinseless wash in the spray bottle and a wet PFM towel followed by a dry one. Hit it with best of show detailer which can be used in the sun and it’s good.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    My reason for asking is that your driven show car, whatever it is, will probably get dirty in some way. Most of the larger car shows in this area (Northeast and Central Wisconsin) are held in fields, golf courses, parks, or church lawns and NOT paved parking lots (smaller club ones at bars or eating establishments are in paved parking lots) They get dusty just from driving into your show spot OR if you are on of the unlucky ones who`s particular group vehicle show area is near the flow of show car traffic and the wind is the "wrong" direction, you can end up with a dusty, dirty vehicle. I know there are a plethora of Quick-Detailer Sprays or Wash-n-Gloss sprays on the market, and some are more/better suited for car shows, IE, there are car show "favorites" for this purpose.
    I do like the idea of a filled bucket/microfiber rinseless wash with either Optimum No-Rinse or some wash very similar.
    If you follow Re-tired`s and Mc`s advice you`ll be ahead of the game. If headed to a show that I know will be needed to be cleaned on site, I bring a 3gal bucket of rinseless...............

But then there has to be some sense of reason:

As the FL sun came up, the field dried dust and grass/field clippings started to fly. You ain`t cleaning nuttin. (unless you want to scratch)

JUST GO ENJOY THE SHOW !!!!!!

gratuitous food shot

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes GearHead_1, mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Ronkh! I think your advice is well heeded; just enjoy the Car Show. 99% of the vehicles are driven to most local car shows, and if they are, indeed trailered to a show, they unique (AKA expensive and rare) vehicles, usually of museum-quality.

I do have a "problem" with barn-finds of vintage vehicles that have been cleaned up, but are in poor shape or condition, and displayed or shown as original-and-unrestored. "Survivors" would probably be a better term for them. Then you have the other extreme, where muscle cars and some vintage autos are "restored" to a degree far beyond what was ever done on the manufacturer`s production assembly line, where everything is perfect (or better). While I would prefer to see these types of vehicles over poor-condition "survivors", most vehicle owners have done something aftermarket to keep their vehicle on the road as a driver, either due to limited budgets or unavailable parts. I still get a thrill talking to owners, though, about whatever they drive and thank them for preserving a piece of automobile history. Even newer muscle-car and Japanese-tuner car owners LOVE to talk about their passion in the vehicle they own, built or modified, and drive. Needless to say, I do not always get to see all the cars at some shows, but I do meet a lot of passionate car owners. it`s also interesting to ask them about how they keep up the appearance of their vehicle, IE, what they use or who details their vehicle. Some of the "answers" are as "unique" as the cars on display.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

This topic is one reason why I simply *NEVER* show my cars, the other biggie being that I don`t want to get in a situation where somebody might touch `em. Yeah, I know...I *am* "one of THOSE guys"
    Likes jester7677 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is an example of judging--

GTACC 11th Annual Car Show and Charity Benefit
    Judging Criteria
    Welcome to the car show, we thank you for your participation. The information below is a helpful tool for
    you to know what our judges are looking for when they come to judge your car.
    The Club uses a 100-point scale for all judged classes in our car show. Teams of two judges will judge
    one or more classes between 10:00 am and 1:30 pm. Please try to stay with your vehicle during judging
    to assist the judges if necessary; however, it is not required that you be with your vehicle to have it
    judged.
    Your window placard must be placed in plain view on your vehicle’s front window or dash board. Your
    vehicle must have its hood up, trunk open and windows down. If the judges do not have access to the
    engine compartment, trunk area or visibility to the vehicle’s interior, they will have no choice but to deduct
    ALL points for that particular area.
    Participants will be judged in the following categories. The scores are entered into a web-based system
    and tallied automatically. After each car is judged, a small card will be affixed under the wind shield
    wipers. Judges will not discuss results or deductions with entrants. All decisions of the judges are final.
    INTERIOR (Maximum 19 points)
    Cracks in Dash, Condition of Instruments; Condition of Steering Wheel; Headliner & Visor – Condition &
    Cleanliness; Seats -- Condition & Cleanliness; Door Panels -- Condition & Cleanliness; Carpets, Mats,
    Floor Treatment; and Overall Appearance – Cleanliness, Detail, Quality of Workmanship.
    EXTERIOR (Maximum 18 points)
    Fit of Hood, Trunk, Doors, Panels; Trim & Lack of Body Damage or Evidence of Repair; Front & Back
    (Condition, Cleanliness); Body – Glass (Condition, Cleanliness); Overall Appearance – Cleanliness,
    Detail, Quality of Workmanship.
    PAINT/CUSTOM GRAPHICS/WRAP (Maximum 20 points)
    Condition (Chips, Cracks, Pits); Uniformity of Color; Smoothness of Surface; Luster, Polish, Shine, Gloss;
    and Overall Appearance – Cleanliness, Detail, Quality of Workmanship.
    ENGINE (Maximum 16 points)
    Cleanliness – No oil, water spots, debris, etc.; Paint – Engine, Firewall, Fenders, Radiator, etc.; Assembly
    Detail – Loose Wires, Plumbing & Wire Routing; and Overall Appearance – Cleanliness, Detail, Quality of
    Workmanship.
    WHEELS & TIRES (Maximum 10 points)
    Matching – Tires, Wheels or Hub Caps; Condition -- Tires, Wheels or Hub Caps; and Overall Appearance
    – Wheels and tires must be clean.
    TRUNK (Maximum 10 points)
    Clean hinges and lip around the trunk; Trunk panels should fit properly – not lose or missing; and Overall
    Appearance – Cleanliness, Detail, Quality of Workmanship.
    JUDGES OVERALL OPINION (Maximum 7 points)
    Fire Extinguisher; Display and Style, Presentation & Overall Appearance.

Thread Information