Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Need a fresh outlook - stained plastic trim

I have received much help and guidence from this forum. With help with narrowing down my drying media (PFM is amazing) to me reading through different topics allowing me to have better routines to washing and attacking machine correction(still intimidating) but I have an issue I want to tackle now thats been bothering me for about 14 months.

When the wife decided this Explorer was THE ONE I wasnt in favor. It was just kinda "rough around the edges" even though my casual glancing shows nothing, I see it. Which leads me to the trim on the LF corner. It was taped off at one point. I can not find a repaint with any evidence but none the less, there is a line. I have tried different cleaners but they wont take it away. Treatment of the trim hides or lessens it but its time to stop with bandaids.

I would like to rid myself of this in the spring cleaning of the vehicle. Pretend like I havent done anything to it yet and fire away with proven items you have used. Any comments are welcome and wanted.

***Edit, I am failing to get a picture to upload. I will get to looking into it.

Thanks

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a fresh outlook - stained plastic trim

Solution Finish is my go to for rough trim. It can be coated with CarPro Delux if necessary.
    Likes Civicclutch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying to use SF to clean the trim and attempt to get rid of this old tape line, I say old tape line as thats what it looks like and in my head it makes sense.

I see there is a SF kit that has a cleaner but can`t seem to find the cleaner to buy out right. Am I just missing it or do I need to look at other online stores?

How aggressive does a person dare go on the rough trim for cleaning as far as chemicals go? A full strength APC? I have Megs101 on the shelf. I don`t think I have any more Optimum APC anymore.

I have had SF in my cart for the last while to have on my next order just to have and use but have never found a cleaner that people are overly confident in.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

screeby- IMO you gotta be careful about using compounds (e.g., M101 as some can permanently stain such trim and/or alter the texture enough that you`ll just have new/different issues that aren`t any better.

I myself would do what I always do and see if that solves the problem (easy for me to say since I have the stuff on the shelf), namely:

-Prep it with Griot`s Rubber Prep
    -Seal it with Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus

No, I don`t know if that`d really work and I`d hate for you to buy stuff just for this and then be disappointed. BUT...that is what I`d do, and I *always* want to have those two products on the shelf anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator - I was not very clear with my words there. I meant the Meguairs D101 APC. When researching this by going back to old posts I have seen the Griot`s Rubber Prep come up before. Probably time to invest in it. Thanks for the info.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

screeby- Ah, OK (regarding the Meguiar`s). I`ll be interested to hear how the Rubber Prep works for you if you do decide to try it. Even if it doesn`t solve this problem I think you`ll find some use for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an attempt of a picture of it. I hope it goes through and can be seen. I assume it is paint on there.

Need a fresh outlook - stained plastic trim-test.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried rubbing alcohol and a cheap microfiber rag? The owner of Solution finish suggested that method and works very well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried a stiff bristled brush with a 1:1 of megs 101. It looks like it’s a tape line some one did for detailing but didn’t do enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone over it with IPA, I assume this is what you mean by rubbing alcohol.

I havent hit it with a stiff brush and APC. I will see what kind of time I get later this afternoon. I would like to try both of these. Thanks guys.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Citrol 266 excels in situations like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Strong APC with a magic eraser. Follow with Feynlab Plastic Black which is an amazing trim dye/coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought about a Magic Eraser.

Yesterday was a bust as far as working on the Explorer. I am hoping to get the kids a nap and mess around a littke bit as the weather is supposed to be in the 50`s today. Hoping to melt off the reamining snow piles.

Thanks again

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by screeby View Post
    I never thought about a Magic Eraser...
    Be careful to *not* damage/alter the texture with it. I`m reasonably sure that my concerns about Magic Erasers are overblown (uhm...I mean "just erring on the side of caution" ), but having [messed] up some surfaces with them...well, no thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, snuck outside this afternoon. I took a Magic Eraser and squirted Meguiars APC which was diluted @ 8:1. So not super strong, I had it mixed from other stuff I was working on and just grabbed it.

I feel it did a very good job. I was a little gun shy after readying Accumulator and him saying he`s had a Magic Eraser create issues for him.

I hope the picture I snapped attaches.

KMNeed a fresh outlook - stained plastic trim-test2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes The Guz, Themikerobe liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information