Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Semi Permanent solutions; can you do just one panel?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    What part of the metroplex? I`m in Arlington. Since the majority of body shops deliver the cars with swirls in the new paint I doubt they will do anything. I would be more than happy to take a look at it. It is possible the scratches are just getting filled in with polishing oils then the oils are getting washed away in a wash or two. You can coat just one panel and the SPS coating I use is one of the harder on the market so it would give you more scratch resistance than many if the consumer grade coatings. Also I`m sure after doing a coating job I would have enough left to do your bumper cover. Let me know if I can be any help.
    awesome. I don`t mind driving out there, let me know what days/times you are usually free and we can plan something.

to the other questions I buffed out the swirls when I initially got the car back. then I took it to this brushless car wash place and it looked just awful after (only the bumper). I buffed it again and it was fine for a while even after I washed it by myself, but then a few washes later it started looking swirly again. I don`t know, maybe the swirls were never buffed out in the first place, but that seems odd since the severity after the shop washed it was just insane. it was hard to look at. now it can pass for most people won`t see what I see, but like all you guys I am particular about my paint and it bothers me!!

no it wasn`t service king btw. it was a local body shop that state farm recommended (and also had great reviews on yelp). I talked with the guy a lot about what he was going to do before he did it, and I really thought it was going to turn out OK.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post
    awesome. I don`t mind driving out there, let me know what days/times you are usually free and we can plan something.

to the other questions I buffed out the swirls when I initially got the car back. then I took it to this brushless car wash place and it looked just awful after (only the bumper). I buffed it again and it was fine for a while even after I washed it by myself, but then a few washes later it started looking swirly again. I don`t know, maybe the swirls were never buffed out in the first place, but that seems odd since the severity after the shop washed it was just insane. it was hard to look at. now it can pass for most people won`t see what I see, but like all you guys I am particular about my paint and it bothers me!!

no it wasn`t service king btw. it was a local body shop that state farm recommended (and also had great reviews on yelp). I talked with the guy a lot about what he was going to do before he did it, and I really thought it was going to turn out OK.

Just curious about Service King. I`ve seen and heard about some pretty poor work coming out of Service King. I`m usually available just about all the time. Dealing with a spinal fluid leak from surgery last week, so it will be a week or so. I`m confident we`ll come up with a solution to the problem and it won`t cost you anything.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    .. I`m usually available just about all the time. Dealing with a spinal fluid leak from surgery last week, so it will be a week or so..
    Gee, you`ve got other stuff to think about! Nice that you`re still planning to help, hope you get the post-surgery stuff all squared away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gee, you`ve got other stuff to think about! Nice that you`re still planning to help, hope you get the post-surgery stuff all squared away.
    Thank you. I`m confident between the Medtronics rep and the neurosurgeon they`ll get it taken care of. If it doesn`t stop by Monday afternoon they`ll go back in Tuesday morning at 7:15 and stitch it up.

Post Thanks / Like

DaveT435- Ah, OK, sounds like everyone`s on top of it...fingers crossed until Monday PM!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all of the responses. dave reached out to me within PM so thank you guys for the help!!

i hate to admit this (maybe) but i`m still using the old grout sponges from lowes...and they are pretty old. And my MF towels are pretty old, but when i got them they were lake country maybe? something fairly respectable. i admit i don`t put as much effort into washing these days as i used to, but for the most part GM paint is pretty darn hard and i don`t get much marring at all on the stock coat. and when i say marring, i`m probably not talking about the stuff you guys can probably see if i get close to the paint in the light i can see some light scratches, but after 8-10` i really don`t see anything. the only problems i see are the rear bumper and i notice the halos at any distance when light/sun is reflecting off of it.

i might do some good getting at least a better washing cloth vs the old lowe`s sponge, eh? (or at least buy a new one) that might be a good start? I`m not entirely sure, i`ve been away from the up and coming products for some time! thanks for any recommendations.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all of the responses. dave reached out to me within PM so thank you guys for the help!!

i hate to admit this (maybe) but i`m still using the old grout sponges from lowes...and they are pretty old. And my MF towels are pretty old, but when i got them they were lake country maybe? something fairly respectable. i admit i don`t put as much effort into washing these days as i used to, but for the most part GM paint is pretty darn hard and i don`t get much marring at all on the stock coat. and when i say marring, i`m probably not talking about the stuff you guys can probably see if i get close to the paint in the light i can see some light scratches, but after 8-10` i really don`t see anything. the only problems i see are the rear bumper and i notice the halos at any distance when light/sun is reflecting off of it.

i might do some good getting at least a better washing cloth vs the old lowe`s sponge, eh? (or at least buy a new one) that might be a good start? I`m not entirely sure, i`ve been away from the up and coming products for some time! thanks for any recommendations.
    tuffluck --
    Glad to see you back !
    A really great washing media that I use all the time is a thick, chenille, wash mitt.. You can even find this at Target..
    With a good, slippery, sudsy, soap like Optimum Car Wash, I can wash anything and not introduce any defects into the paint..
    Just LOOK at it before you put it on the panel, and make sure it is not holding something in it that could hurt your paint..
    In all the years I have used this media, I have never found anything stuck in it, nor had any issues with it holding up, etc..
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Today is a good time to buy some stuff. 25% off is as good as it gets.

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Heh heh, I`m *SO* envious of people who can wash your way without marring the paint! And yeah, I`ve tried numerous different Plush/thick Chenille mitts/pads/towels. Also MF ones. I sure wouldn`t do what I do unless I *had* to!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Today is a good time to buy some stuff. 25% off is as good as it gets.
    IIRC, some Holiday discounts can beat that...I seem to remember getting a lot of stuff last Nov. at 40% off.

Not discouraging anybody from spending money at Autopia CC...OK, felt a moment`s guilt over even posting this but I`m over it now. Easy for me to talk since I don`t need anything at present

Post Thanks / Like
    ...when i say marring, i`m probably not talking about the stuff you guys can probably see if i get close to the paint in the light i can see some light scratches, but after 8-10` i really don`t see anything. .. and i notice the halos at any distance when light/sun is reflecting off of it.
    I don`t want to sound like a [jerk] ...(so step away from the keyboard you idiot!! To avoid being a [jerk] just don`t be one!!)... but unless that "8-10 FEET" is a typo, it sounds like you and I aren`t even close to the same page on that and there are a lot of guys here who set the bar a lot higher than I do, Daily Drivers, and stuff that`s basically never corrected, included.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information