Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rock Paint Chip Rusts - Your procedure

Potential issue is that mild stuff that`s unlikely to do damage just isn`t as effective as stuff that "burns that rust right off". Navel Jelly wasn`t my first choice even back in the `70s, but at least it was thick enough to stay put on vertical surfaces.

mobiledynamics- For the chip on your hood I don`t think you oughta need the Rust Killer stuff like RustSeal/converter. Just grind it out with the right diamond burr on a rotary tool, use something mild enough to be paint-safe (e.g., that IronX paste) and I bet it`ll turn out OK. That`s what I did on the previous Crown Vic and it was fine when I sold it a few years later.

When I say that the grinding is "Accumulator-proof" (as opposed to, say...foolproof), I mean that it`s also Mobiledynamics-proof

In the sense of "rust is like cancer", this is something that you *could* just handle with, uhm...wait-and-watch, given how you won`t be neglecting the car. (I`d not fix it, I`d compound/polish/LSP/ignore it, but we all have our different priorities.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    If you have a hand like a surgeon you can use a Dremel and the smallest engraving bit. I was able to remove rust from many chips this way, my Lexus was 10 plus years old at the time and I wasn’t worried if I screwed up. I don’t know if I would try this method on a lease.

If it was my leased vehicle I would just cover it with OEM touch up paint. One trick is to thin the paint and buy the finest tip brush you can find. Walmart has a decent set of fine tip brushes in their hobby/craft section.
    I`ve used this method also. It was a `72 VW and there were about 30 chips, some about half the size of a dime. I then filled the chips completely with Dr Colorchip, adding mineral spirits to the blending solution which allows you to actually level it instead of removing half of it trying to get it level. It actually turned out great. That was two years ago and they still look fine.
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like this thread. I have a chip on the wife`s Kia that is starting to rust around the edges of the chip.

I had been thinking fall-out remover (BDX in my case) then touching up with Dr Colorchip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information