Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Results of RUPES UHS Pads without the other Rupes Stuff (pics inside)

A few days back, BudgetPlan1 started a thread about Griots BOSS Correcting Cream (GBCC). I chimed in because I had just recently used GBCC, but with the unconventional combo of a Rupes UHS pad (there`s only one "strength"/color) and a GG6, as opposed to the designed use of UHS Pads with UHS polish and a Rupes machine.

I bought the UHS pads specifically to work on my GF`s "new" Nissan Juke. It`s a 2017, but had been used by the dealer as their loaner car. It had 6k miles on it, and a plethora of swirls and ticks marks. I wanted to do a solid 1-step on this car, and the UHS pads are designed for just that. Albeit, I used them "off label".

Here`s the pads, AFTER I was done with them, and after a mild soak and cleaning. These pads are WEIRD! When new, the texture is stiff, like foamy Styrofoam. They get softer upon priming and during use. NOTICE the smaller one - how the foam has been distorted, making a permanent "lip". Dunno what to think about that.

BEFORE. Note the strange defects. That`s not "fuzz" or microfiber lint on the paint! This was after clay and multiple wipes with Eraser with a few different towels. The paint was super clean and smooth. You can see swirls to the right of the light on the right.

Here`s after ONE QUICK PASS. Using the 6" pad, thoroughly primed with product + 3 pea drops, I did a typical pattern in this area only 3 times.

After a SECOND PASS.

This combination cut and finished down faster than anything I`ve ever used. I`ve seen microfiber pads cut better, but not as quick, and not to this level of finish. I was very impressed with the results. But the process... that was another thing. Every time I did a pass, stopping the polisher, I found myself saying out loud "that was WEIRD". The pads "ride" differently. They sling product very easily. It would take SOME GETTING USED TO.

I continued to do much of the car with the two UHS pads and GBCC. What I especially liked was the smaller pad. The little sucker felt much less strange than its bigger brother. I used it to fix issues like this, with EASE!

Another thing to mention is that the UHS pads behave like Hydrotech pads, in that they keep product up close to the top. I also found them very easy to clean-on-the-go.

With the UHS pads soaking in APC, I went back to "normal old" Hydrotech pads for the 4 doors, and was plenty happy, but I missed the strange UHS pads SPEED. Cyan Hydrotech, as good as they are, were much slower cutting, and didn`t finish as well as the Rupes UHS with the same polish.

My take away is this: Rupes UHS pads are FAST FAST FAST, and the results are great, but getting there is just TOO DANG WEIRED!!! For now, I think I`ll just use the small pad for spot corrections.

The car came out GREAT!
    I love this vibrant non-metallic red paint. Not much sun for pics, but trust me...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Results of RUPES UHS Pads without the other Rupes Stuff (pics inside)

Yeah I feel the same way. I’ve used the UHS a couple of times and just didn’t care for how they feel. Makes for a bumpy ride until they warm up and soften a bit

Post Thanks / Like

And a Merlin.

Hard to get with today`s sun and this color.
    Likes nickclark08, Stokdgs, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

LSP`s were Soft99 King Of Gloss on the hood, front bumper, and roof. The remainder of the car got Poorboy`s EX-P.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Yeah I feel the same way. I’ve used the UHS a couple of times and just didn’t care for how they feel. Makes for a bumpy ride until they warm up and soften a bit
    Yup, gave it 2 or 3 tries but just wasn`t liking it too much. Was ok, but for some reason wasn`t much `fun` with the pads like they are.

Cool to see they work wirh other things; figrd they were so odd, they`d only work with the UHS polish.
    Likes Stokdgs, WaxAddict liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict !
    Just Beautiful, Glossy, Clear, Work !!!
    I have no experience with UHS anything, so thanks so much for the tutorial..
    I only use Hydro-Shreds but on a Makita with lots of downward pressure sometimes, and I can get them to clean up most anything with the right product on them..
    Perhaps those UHS pads would be easier to use on a Rotary ???
    Maybe someday I will get some to try this out.. They sound pretty weird though from what you experienced..
    Bet your Sweetheart was Thrilled at how beautiful you made the car look !
    Great job !!
    Thanks for all that hard work !
    Dan F
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    WaxAddict !
    I have no experience with UHS anything, so thanks so much for the tutorial..
    I only use Hydro-Shreds but on a Makita with lots of downward pressure sometimes, and I can get them to clean up most anything with the right product on them..
    Perhaps those UHS pads would be easier to use on a Rotary ???
    Maybe someday I will get some to try this out.. They sound pretty weird though from what you experienced..
    Great job !!
    Thanks for all that hard work !
    Dan F
    Come to think of it, the UHS pads did work well on my rotary when I used that combo to polish a piano

Post Thanks / Like

Nice results.

Once I read Todd Helme`s post on how to prime the Rupes UHS pads, I never had an issue using them. Along with no more slinging.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes WaxAddict, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    LSP`s were Soft99 King Of Gloss on the hood, front bumper, and roof. The remainder of the car got Poorboy`s EX-P.
    WaxAddict:
    Where did you buy/purchase the Soft99 King of Gloss Wax from and what color-variety was is? Black-n-dark (for red)? (Soft99 makes four different color-specific waxes for King of Gloss) .
    Thanks for posting this review. I know is about the Rupes UHS pads, but your mention of Soft99 as an LSP and the resulting pictures peaked my interest. The red Rogue looks very glossy and I am sure the pictures can not do it justice like seeing it in person. It also speaks volumes about your detailing abilities and prowess, not to mention your photography skills.

I think Soft99 is an unknown Japanese car-care chemical/product manufacturer, except to a few hard-core Autopians in this forum and maybe West-coast detailers with Japanese connections. If you look at their English-version car-care section website, they offer A LOT of different car waxes. It may be one of those "sleeper" manufacturers because we Autopians do not know about them or where to buy their product line. That said, waxes have kind of lost their impact in detailing, as coatings are all the rage these days, and for good reason. But I still think there are enough "old school" detailers/car-care aficionados who still prefer a good carnauba wax, and Soft99`s waxes need to be considered to add to someone`s "collection" of waxes. (Tempting, isn`t it Accumulator!!)
    GB detailer
    Likes WaxAddict, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Great job !!
    THANKS Dan, that means a LOT coming from you! Yes, she is very appreciative. Luckily she was traveling and didn`t need the car, because this level of detail takes me DAYS. I`m like a "two panel per evening" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    WaxAddict:
    Where did you buy/purchase the Soft99 King of Gloss Wax from and what color-variety was is? Black-n-dark (for red)? (Soft99 makes four different color-specific waxes for King of Gloss) .
    .... It may be one of those "sleeper" manufacturers
    I bought the Soft99 wax on eBay. Soft99, especially Fusso Coat and King of Gloss, are popular on the UK forums. I lurk on those forums for fun. Also, The Detailing Channel guy, from the UK, had good comments about King Of Gloss in a video, and I trust his judgement.

King Of Gloss isn`t a straight carnauba. It may not even have any `nuba in it. It may have PTFE. Whatever it has, it`s extremely hydrophobic and sheds water like crazy. It is NOT the easiest wax to work with. Let it dry too much, and it`s like concrete.

My tin is the black and dark variety, but I don`t care. It worked great on this Alert Red paint, and didn`t darken it. The wax is also not colored - it`s a very light pale greenish yellow. I can`t say it had better shine than EX-P, which is still saying a lot, because EX-P is a shine factory.

Coatings are for quitters.
    Likes Lonnie, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nice results.

Once I read Todd Helme`s post on how to prime the Rupes UHS pads, I never had an issue using them. Along with no more slinging.
    I could not imagine using these pads without completely priming with product first. The slinging happens mostly in the first minute of use after re-applying product. I should spend more time on speed 2 just getting the product worked back into the pad before going up to high speed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some uhs pads as well and hardly use them. But I found that once primed and they get some heat in them they soften right up. I prime the pad well then set the speed on 5 on my g21 and just apply some heavy pressure focusing on one area for a few seconds. This usually softens up the pad and then I can being my polishing. But overall I just don`t really use them that much.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the share.. I like using these with ADAPT.

I squeeze the pads a little to make them softer and then put them on the polisher. I find this cuts down on sling quite significantly.

They are definitely some weird pads.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve tried using the UHS pads too. They are in a category all by theirselves. Along with the Rupes blue (another “slinger”) they just sit and gather dust. I cut with microfibers and finish with Rupes yellow/white. I love Rupes yellow pads, probably the best on the market for a long throw pad.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Coatings are for quitters.
    hehehe. That`s funny.

Car looks great! And I can only imagine how much better it looks in person. The type of finish I could spend 20 minutes just staring at all the various lines and such.

I haven`t had tooooo much time with UHS, but early on, I found that i *did* like the UHS system enough to buy the bigger bottle during a sale, along with more UHS pad.

I`ve also played with them on a Flex 3401. I forget what that experience was like, as it was rather limited. Just a small fender or something. [shrug]

But yeah, they do leave the "this is WEIRD" feeling. Similar with the blue coarse pads. And they definitely take some getting used to. I don`t put the usual amount of product on the pads, and i let them orbit in place on top of the panel on slower speed for a bit before I start the cross hatching.
    Likes Stokdgs, WaxAddict liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information