Post Thanks / Like

Using Mr Clean Magic Eraser .... ON INTERIOR GLASS

I am trying to quit smoking and since I spend a lot of time driving my Camaro, I needed to get the smell out AND clean the interior glass of all the smoke residue and oils and other gunk. I`ve tried multiple glass cleaners and all of them had the same effect - kind of clean, but really smeary.

Over on the AG Forum, I asked the question about how to remove the smoking crud from my interior glass. Several people mentioned the Magic Eraser, so I gave it a try.

I used a Magic Eraser (since the wife had one on hand), Invisible Glass (I think ANY quality glass cleaner will work) and a 3-towel process I cleaned the glass in my car within an inch of its life.

I did all the windows, even the ones I`d already cleaned, by doing the following:

Spray the Magic Eraser with lots of Invisible Glass, and used it liberally on the glass.

1) Scrub the glass with the eraser - at first I got a lot of suds - it was a used one and I don`t know if it was the soap that is already in the eraser or if my wife had added something.

2) Wipe down the wet (dripping) glass with a clean microfiber (long nap side out) and absorb most of the liquid. (wet towel is OK)

3) Take a clean terry towel and wipe off the damp soap film from the glass, (towel getting SLIGHTLY damp is OK)

4) Buff the glass with a 2nd microfiber cloth (short nap side out) until it was completely streak-free. Towel MUST be dry and clean ... change towel if it gets dirty or damp.

I tried to take a 50/50 picture, but the camera in my phone and the sunlight weren`t cooperating. All I can say is when I look out the living room window at my car, it looks like the door windows are rolled down, everything came out awesome. Sitting in the car looking out it almost seems like there is no glass in the windows at all.

Since then, I went to the store and bought a 4-pack specifically for automotive glass cleaning.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes SWETM, GearHead_1, Stokdgs, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Mr Clean Magic Eraser .... ON INTERIOR GLASS

Interesting, I’ve been using n-914 at waterless wash ratio for cleaning smokers windows and non smokers as it works so well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don

You may want look at this https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mcke...l#.WpwORVpMGhA in combination with the magic eraser
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just don`t use something like a Magic Eraser on softer glass like the TriPlex in my Jag
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Don

You may want look at this https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mcke...l#.WpwORVpMGhA in combination with the magic eraser
    If I hadn`t tried the eraser, I was going to get some McGee`s 20/20, but since I had the eraser on hand, I figured why not give it a shot? I think with the windshield, there was still a little dish soap still in the sponge, but by the last window, you could tell it was pure IG. I think if my glass had been really severe, the combination of the eraser and the 20/20 would have completely taken care of things.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

McKees 20/20 worked great for me.
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like

And don’t try it if the car has tinted windows...

Post Thanks / Like

How about Diamondite Spray Clay, maybe that would work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2132006`]And don’t try it if the car has tinted windows...
    So what`s the best approach with tinted windows? I use Stoner`s Invisible Glass to clean dog licks off the side windows and usually it works just fine. But recently I noticed the spot I was cleaning kept getting larger and larger and streaking instead of disappearing. Next thing I know it appeared that I made a bigger mess on the tint than when I started. Not sure what happened but I wasn`t pleased. I can still see through the window/tint but it appears splotchy. So I have to assume that I damaged the tint in some way. Anything I can do at this point to improve the appearance short of replacing the tint? How do you normally go about cleaning tinted windows safely?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDfx View Post
    So what`s the best approach with tinted windows? I use Stoner`s Invisible Glass to clean dog licks off the side windows and usually it works just fine. But recently I noticed the spot I was cleaning kept getting larger and larger and streaking instead of disappearing. Next thing I know it appeared that I made a bigger mess on the tint than when I started. Not sure what happened but I wasn`t pleased. I can still see through the window/tint but it appears splotchy. So I have to assume that I damaged the tint in some way. Anything I can do at this point to improve the appearance short of replacing the tint? How do you normally go about cleaning tinted windows safely?

Thanks
    Some window cleaners are tint safe while others are not. It’s best to read the label and find one that specifically says “tint safe”. Nextzett window cleaner is tint safe and it is the one I use.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO there oughta be a sticky for "(Aftermarket) Tint-safe Glass Cleaners".

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDfx
    I use Stoner`s Invisible Glass... But..I made a bigger mess on the tint than when I started.
    Yikes, sorry to hear about that. Huh, the IG was on my (rather old) list of Tint-Safe ones, guess I`ll take it off.

The ones that`ve worked fine for me (pretty worn/fragile aftermarket tint in the Crown Vic) are:

-3D 50:1
    -Sonus Vision
    -The Wax Shop Glass Cleaner
    -Detailer`s Pride Krystal Vision (I don`t like how whatever it leaves behind ages though)

DO NOT ever try Zep40 on any aftermarket tint unless you`re doing a demonstration of what can happen

Post Thanks / Like

And forget about the clean windows, the most important part of this thread is that you`re giving up smoking, and will be around for much longer!
    2021 Acura RDX, Pearl Red
    2022 Cadillac CT-4V Blackwing, Blaze Orange
    2022 Mazda MX-5, Snowflake White

Post Thanks / Like

On plain glass windows with no tint, body shop grade wax and grease remover will do the trick and is what I automatically reach for when doing the windows on the inside of a smokers or any vehicle that’s real bad. It takes the smoke “film” off with ease compared to 90% of window cleaners that just seem to smudge and smear the grime around. I follow the wax and grease remover up with a normal window cleaner to get any remaining residue off that may have been left behind.

As for vehicles with tinted windows... you’re only going to get them so clean and still you’ll have some streaks or smears due to the fact that Cig Smoke literally embeds itself into the window tint. This issue is magnified in the summer or in warmer climates where the inside of the vehicle gets very hot. The only true way to get the smoke film off window tint is to replace it. I’ve actually witnessed people detail smokers cars that they had purchased for themselves or to flip where every square inch of the car was cleaned, including the tinted windows and the smoke smell lingered on. I suggested removing the window tint as it basically is harboring smoke film/odor and everytime the car gets hot inside with the windows up it releases that smell back into the car. Several individuals took my advice and were pleased to no longer have the smoke odor issues. To an extent any and all plastic inside a vehicle behaves this way. Tint (especially the cheap diy stuff) just so happens to be a big contributor.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Thread Information