Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Any Brand New Ceramic Coatings coming out this spring?

I`ve researched ceramic coatings for the last year making a spreadsheet to log MFR specifications (chemical composition, hardness, etc) and I`ve read the many postings and test results posted on forums and I do have a favorite that I will probably use. But anyone hear of any Brand NEW ceramic coatings that are coming out this spring or they are secretly testing that haven`t been mentioned in the forums yet? I hope to get a coating on the car around the end of March to mid April.

ks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Brand New Ceramic Coatings coming out this spring?

Seems like there`s new stuff coming out each day, albeit from non-mainstream entities which to me usually indicates re-branding/private labeling.

Curious as to what the `favorite you will probably use` is? Care to let the cat outta the bag?

Quote Originally Posted by KEVINS View Post
    I`ve researched ceramic coatings for the last year making a spreadsheet to log MFR specifications (chemical composition, hardness, etc) and I`ve read the many postings and test results posted on forums and I do have a favorite that I will probably use. But anyone hear of any Brand NEW ceramic coatings that are coming out this spring or they are secretly testing that haven`t been mentioned in the forums yet? I hope to get a coating on the car around the end of March to mid April.

ks
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would HIGHLY suggest reading these threads about coatings:
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/waxes-sealants-and-lsp-s/188936-testing-various-coatings.html
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing-product-discussion/188411-messing-coatings-final.html

Also, your request to reveal "secret" beta-testing of coatings is counterintuitive. Beta testers are sworn by confidentiality agreements, written or verbal, with car-care product manufacturers/companies NOT to reveal key information about their products before initial public offering and release of said products. That confidentiality is vital to product development and marketing. Now they may peak our Autopian interest by telling us that they are testing something for a car-care detailing task, but what it is and how it is preforming are usually kept under tight-lipped lock-and-key, as it should be. The beta-tester`s and car-care product manufacturer`s mutual trust with respect to product development secrecy cannot be overstated, even to the chagrin of my (nosy) Autopian "inquiring minds want to know.." (Personal disclaimer: NO, I am not a beta-tester or a lawyer, I just sound like one)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of these type of coatings
    How do you remove them?
    Will a finishing polish do it or a heavy compound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Not sure I`d believe what ^^^that^^^ guy says; i get the impression he`s kinda a bumbling idiot. At least that`s what his wife thinks when she sees the credit card bills each month, I`ll bet.

Also, your request to reveal "secret" beta-testing of coatings is counterintuitive.
    I`m assuming OP has been researching which consumer product he`s going to go with, curious as to what his research has led to if that`s indeed the case.

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    Speaking of these type of coatings
    How do you remove them?
    Will a finishing polish do it or a heavy compound.
    Some I`ve removed with M205 and orange pad after a month or 2, some needed Menz 2400 to remove a missed high spot about 2hrs after application. WG Uber high spot removed with WG Finishing Glaze with white pad by hand after 6hrs after application.

Guess ya just start light and keep going until your satisfied it`s gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve researched ceramic coatings for the last year making a spreadsheet to log MFR specifications (chemical composition, hardness, etc)
    I`ve read the many postings and test results posted on forums and I do have a favorite that I will probably use.
    But anyone hear of any Brand NEW ceramic coatings that are coming out this spring or they are secretly testing that haven`t been mentioned in the forums yet?
    I hope to get a coating on the car around the end of March to mid April.

ks
    I`d love to see the spreadsheet.
    Reading postings on coatings is like reading about what wax looks best. (some is subjective)
    There are MANY coatings constantly coming out. It is starting to be coating of the week now...
    Keep us posted on your findings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I would HIGHLY suggest reading these threads about coatings:
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/waxes-sealants-and-lsp-s/188936-testing-various-coatings.html
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing-product-discussion/188411-messing-coatings-final.html

Also, your request to reveal "secret" beta-testing of coatings is counterintuitive. Beta testers are sworn by confidentiality agreements, written or verbal, with car-care product manufacturers/companies NOT to reveal key information about their products before initial public offering and release of said products. That confidentiality is vital to product development and marketing. Now they may peak our Autopian interest by telling us that they are testing something for a car-care detailing task, but what it is and how it is preforming are usually kept under tight-lipped lock-and-key, as it should be. The beta-tester`s and car-care product manufacturer`s mutual trust with respect to product development secrecy cannot be overstated, even to the chagrin of my (nosy) Autopian "inquiring minds want to know.." (Personal disclaimer: NO, I am not a beta-tester or a lawyer, I just sound like one)
    I was being facetious about the "secret" testing that someone may be doing, I thought people would understand that. MFR`s (including myself) will release info all the time before a product release to create buzz which helps get orders before it`s actually released. And, yes, I have required testers to sign confidentiality agreements while testing new designs.

In my notes I had far more than just those two links. My notes started with around 60-80 links from all over forums/websites that I kept during my researching but as time went on and I started to cross products off my list, my notes now consist of short snippets that I feel are important to me that helped make my conclusion.

My notes consists of about 20 products and so far I`m expecting to use CSL + EXOv3.

ks

Here`s a screen shot of what`s left of the spread sheet but it was a mess last year with a LOT of links. I needed to remove a lot of info otherwise it was more confusing to me. I had videos, MFR spec`s, forum testing, personal opinions, etc, but as you can tell it`s thinned down a lot... I even have a Word document with notes and links...

Capture.JPG
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have no inside information, but based on the fact that BLACKFIRE has a coating booster, I bet it`s going to offer a coating soon.

BLACKFIRE used to offer a coating, but it didn`t perform and apply as well as hoped.

My wife`s 2016 Escape has regular CQuartz on it. After almost two years the coating is still performing flawlessly. It`s amazing.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

I was being facetious about the "secret" testing that someone may be doing, I thought people would understand that. MFR`s (including myself) will release info all the time before a product release to create buzz which helps get orders before it`s actually released. And, yes, I have required testers to sign confidentiality agreements while testing new designs.

In my notes I had far more than just those two links. My notes started with around 60-80 links from all over forums/websites that I kept during my researching but as time went on and I started to cross products off my list, my notes now consist of short snippets that I feel are important to me that helped make my conclusion.

My notes consists of about 20 products and so far I`m expecting to use CSL + EXOv3.

ks

Here`s a screen shot of what`s left of the spread sheet but it was a mess last year with a LOT of links. I needed to remove a lot of info otherwise it was more confusing to me. I had videos, MFR spec`s, forum testing, personal opinions, etc, but as you can tell it`s thinned down a lot... I even have a Word document with notes and links...

Capture.JPG
    Neat spreadsheet...i shoulda done something like that but instead just went with the nonsensical `buy and try` method.

One item I would suggest is not to put too much value on claimed hardness levels. The pencil testing done to obtain the coveted `9h` is, IMO, dubious at best.

I think hardness differences *may* provide a very, very slight difference to slightly soiled drying towel effects as far as swirling goes but when out and about in the real world, provide little protection.

While I have used Gtechniq CSL on it`s own, I have never tried the CSL/EXO combo. It`s one of the few remaining products I`m interested in giving a try. The hydrophobic behavior is supposed to really stand out.

Gyeon Syncro is a relatively new release; have you looked into that? No long term info as it`s to new but it may have promise.

Good luck in your search, I`m sure you`ll be pleased with whatever you choose. It`s all neat stuff. In the end, as long as you`re happy with it, little else matters. And the journey can be just as satisfying as the destination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Neat spreadsheet...i shoulda done something like that but instead just went with the nonsensical `buy and try` method.

One item I would suggest is not to put too much value on claimed hardness levels. The pencil testing done to obtain the coveted `9h` is, IMO, dubious at best.

I think hardness differences *may* provide a very, very slight difference to slightly soiled drying towel effects as far as swirling goes but when out and about in the real world, provide little protection.

While I have used Gtechniq CSL on it`s own, I have never tried the CSL/EXO combo. It`s one of the few remaining products I`m interested in giving a try. The hydrophobic behavior is supposed to really stand out.

Gyeon Syncro is a relatively new release; have you looked into that? No long term info as it`s to new but it may have promise.

Good luck in your search, I`m sure you`ll be pleased with whatever you choose. It`s all neat stuff. In the end, as long as you`re happy with it, little else matters. And the journey can be just as satisfying as the destination.
    I do pay attention to the hardness info knowing that there is a lot of controversy in the advertised hardness of products, but it`s not the deciding factor. I even researched the testing standards on how the different harness tests are performed. I read somewhere on a actual MFR`s forum that that their coating wasn`t harder than paint but did offer better protection against scratches.. WTH? After reading this I lost interest. I also believe that a lot of these coating MFR`s do not even test their products to any given standard even though they advertise a hardness. In the MFR`ing world if someone wanted to use a hard coating for a product they could be given the test results that verified the hardness but I bet we can`t get this info if we asked.

What I`ve noticed on this forum is that the majority of people are fascinated with the hydrophobic action of a product over anything. To me I don`t care that it beads water. My car is black and it shares a small space so it can get rubbed up against accidentally or the hood will scratch if it`s dusty and I don`t use a MF towel to close it, etc, so my preference is to have something to minimize scratches. I don`t care whether the water beads off when I wash it, and yes, I know that water can hold dirt, etc.. IMO, hardness matters more as long as it`s flexible for heat cycles. This is just my personal preference that I don`t expect anyone else to agree with.

Moving on: OOooo, I don`t see that I have Gyeon Syncro on my list! I`ll have to do some research and see what I can find about it, Thank YOU!

ks
    2002 2V, Twin 60`s, Pi Heads, E85
    902HP @ 32psi, Silver Fox 4R70, Full Length 2.5" Exhaust, Mustang Dyno.

Post Thanks / Like

What I`ve noticed on this forum is that the majority of people are fascinated with the hydrophobic action of a product over anything. To me I don`t care that it beads water. My car is black and it shares a small space so it can get rubbed up against accidentally or the hood will scratch if it`s dusty and I don`t use a MF towel to close it, etc, so my preference is to have something to minimize scratches. I don`t care whether the water beads off when I wash it, and yes, I know that water can hold dirt, etc.. IMO, hardness matters more as long as it`s flexible for heat cycles. This is just my ***personal preference*** that I don`t expect anyone else to agree with.

Moving on: OOooo, I don`t see that I have Gyeon Syncro on my list! I`ll have to do some research and see what I can find about it, Thank YOU!

ks
    That`s the key, methinks. Determining what YOUR particular situation calls for and seeking a product that best addresses that. It`s a whole world of different situations, environments and maintenance routines and one can certainly target a product that stands out in those areas.

2 out of 3 of our cars are black, one of which was permanently etched by water spots and a bird bombs back in the sealant days. Thus, I have a pretty healthy paranoia about that. And while I like clean cars, I don`t really like cleaning cars. Beading is fun to look at every now and again but I`d rather see great water sheeting off the surface. I actually look forward to heavy rains sometimes cuz ya get kinda a free car wash with a coating that performs well in that area.

As a result of that, my primary requirements are no water spotting (or very, very limited) if the car gets rained on in the morning and then sits out in the sun all afternoon and the coating needs to keep the spotting that occurs at the `easily washed off` level.

Additionally, it has to be very good at staying clean, keeping itself clean.

Of course it has to look good as well but aside from subtle differences (candy look vs warmer wax glow) all coatings are shiny.

So, it takes a bit to find out what areas a product excels in and where it is merely average. But when ya do find it, it makes the whole process worthwhile. Took me a bit of trying, occasionally 2 steps forward, 3 steps back but even that process was beneficial.

Looking forward to seeing end results...hopefully Spring will be here soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    That`s the key, methinks. Determining what YOUR particular situation calls for and seeking a product that best addresses that. It`s a whole world of different situations, environments and maintenance routines and one can certainly target a product that stands out in those areas.

2 out of 3 of our cars are black, one of which was permanently etched by water spots and a bird bombs back in the sealant days. Thus, I have a pretty healthy paranoia about that. And while I like clean cars, I don`t really like cleaning cars. Beading is fun to look at every now and again but I`d rather see great water sheeting off the surface. I actually look forward to heavy rains sometimes cuz ya get kinda a free car wash with a coating that performs well in that area.

As a result of that, my primary requirements are no water spotting (or very, very limited) if the car gets rained on in the morning and then sits out in the sun all afternoon and the coating needs to keep the spotting that occurs at the `easily washed off` level.

Additionally, it has to be very good at staying clean, keeping itself clean.

Of course it has to look good as well but aside from subtle differences (candy look vs warmer wax glow) all coatings are shiny.

So, it takes a bit to find out what areas a product excels in and where it is merely average. But when ya do find it, it makes the whole process worthwhile. Took me a bit of trying, occasionally 2 steps forward, 3 steps back but even that process was beneficial.

Looking forward to seeing end results...hopefully Spring will be here soon.
    We have similar experiences with birds, probably like a lot of others. My first black car was a 87 Grand National and my first summer of owning it produced 7 bird bombs that etched the paint in all 7 areas. I owned that car for 18 years and only put on 3000 miles b/c I was afraid to drive it in fear of the birds. I decided to sell it and now I own the Mustang that I will do my best to keep it looking nice but won`t have the fear of driving it like I did like with the GN.

I should also thank you for all the testing that you do. I`ve been glued to all your test results and feel they are the best ones to view a solid comparison between products in the same environments.

ks

Likes Coleroad, showbbq liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

KEVINS, thank you for compiling and sharing your data!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know that it`s good data but at a minimum it`s a list of products that people can look through.

ks

Likes Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m fine with no more coatings unless someone can make a true game changer. A true WOWO coating, not a wax hybrid that works on all surfaces that requires less prep and a nice long lifespan. That would interest me. It seems like everyone is doing more or less the same thing and I`m sure we are going to get more "new and improved" versions coming. I`m just waiting for the coating trend to slow down so we can move on to something new.
    Likes KEVINS, Jaddie liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information