Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Micro fiber towel absorption

Are micro fiber automotive detailing towels suppose to be absorbent? I have a few that after a while they will absorb some but most of them most of the time are not very absorbent. Seems like to me anyway that they kind of get about half up on the first pass then you have to go back over it at least 3 or 4 more times after flipping to get the next 40 to 45 % and finally a new side for the last 5% basically smearing after the first pass until its all wiped dry.

I have spent a lot of $ on all different brands and types of GSM, with the best so far the eagle edgeless.

Any one out there find one that absorbs really well? I know that there are manufacturers that make bath towels from micro fiber but never have tried one. Seems to me if bath towels are made from the stuff it should soak up some water.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Micro fiber towel absorption

How are you cleaning them. While you may not use fabric softener in your MF wash, any remote chance you get getting residual effects...from either your soap dispenser or even (I kid you not, built up soap scum that you don`t see in your laundry tub)...

On your EE, are we talking to dry your car ?
    The EE is soft but it`s not really meant to dry a complete wet panel?
    Likes re-tired liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    How are you cleaning them. While you may not use fabric softener in your MF wash, any remote chance you get getting residual effects...from either your soap dispenser or even (I kid you not, built up soap scum that you don`t see in your laundry tub)...
    This.
    How are you washing them? Wash them based on type of use, for example wash drying towels only with other drying towels. This prevents cross-contamination from other chemicals. I won’t let Spray wax towels, or sealant/wax removal towels, mix with drying towels. My wash categories are glass, drying, polish removal, spray wax & QD, rinseless wash, wheels, interior. Having a good number of towels helps so that you can wait until you have enough in each category for a Wash load.

Post Thanks / Like

I have separated all of my towels into 2 groups, first group is my good towels, the ones I use on the paint and glass, I keep them separate all of the time from the other towels that I pretty much use on everything else. So the good towels get used, stored dirty in a separate container, washed with soap, dried on medium heat then stored -- all separately from the others.

Do I get the impression that you folks don`t have this issue??

Post Thanks / Like

Medium heat may be to hot ruining your fibers. Also what type of (soap)? actually does make a difference. The guide for microfiber is low heat and liquid detergent with nothing added for softeners. This has been the best I have found https://www.autopia-carcare.com/3d-t...een-128oz.html

Post Thanks / Like

Another tip is to use white (not apple) vinegar to the rinse cycle to act as a natural fabric softener. I usually do a double rinse and add the vinegar to the first rinse cycle directly into the tub (IE, do NOT use the fabric softener or bleach dispenser reservoir). how much depends on the size of the load. 1/2 cup (4 fl.oz.) for a small load; 1 cup (8 fl.oz.) for a large load. (based on a 3-1/2 cubic foot capacity top-load washer, so if you have a much larger-capacity washer and can stuff more microfibers in it, you can adjust that amount accordingly)

Also, watch for anti-static dryer sheets left behind from previous clothes drying cycles. These, even when used, will leave residue on your microfiber cloths/towels that will reek havoc on microfiber material. I have even taken the extreme measure to write with a marker pen in bold fonts "DO NOT USE WITH MICROFIBERS" warning on dryer sheet boxes and fabric softeners to prevent "accidental" (AKA ignorant) use by "others" (AKA,family members) who may think they are doing you a good deed by washing and drying your filthy car cleaning/detailing microfiber towels.

If you are looking for a good OTC (over-the-counter) detergent to try in your washer for cleaning microfibers, buy some Persil detergent. However, one thing you may be susceptible to is a (very) dirty wash tub itself, especially if you clean oily or tarry clothes. A good detergent MAY release built-up gunk on the OUTSIDE of the tub that has accumulated if the washer has been used repeatedly for some time. When you wash with a superior-cleaning detergent, this gunk will get on your microfiber cloths. To prevent this, P&G makes Tide Washing Machine Cleaner that you can use with old towels and throw-away rags/old clothes to "collect" this released gunky residue BEFORE you wash your expensive detailing microfiber cloths/towels.
    I know Charlie`s Soaps (another superior-cleaning detergent) ALWAYS recommends doing this with their soap (IE, use THEIR soap with throw-away cloth towels or rags, not Tide`s product), BEFORE washing ANY clothes for the first time to prevent ruining good clothes from unseen wash tub residue that will be released when washing with their superior-cleaning soap.

As a side note; if you need suggestions for microfiber towels/clothes that fellow Autopians use for various vehicle detailing tasks, see:
    Favorite Microfiber for Specific Detailing Task List (Autopian Suggestions)
    GB detailer
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I must use my mf drying towels differently than others than. I dampen and wring out my towel first, like one use too way back with chamois. One it seems to dry better. Secondly, I viewed it as safer on the paint. it seems as though it would be lubrication . Maybe I`ve been doing it wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

MFs made for drying stuff do that (soak up water) far better than MFs made for other tasks, despite what the makers like to say. My very best, plushest MFs are lousy for soaking up water, but that`s not what I use those for. And I doubt that my best Drying MFs would be very good for cleaning/polish or LSP removal/etc. They`re just for *drying* and they do that one task well (for a while, see below).

IMO if you gotta dampen a MF first for it to soak up water, you`re using the wrong MF. I simply never do that and if a MF requires it that MF is not used for drying.

IME, eventually, even the very best Drying MFs, the ones that used to soak up water well for me, no longer do it...at that point they`re done IMO, replaced with new ones. Usually takes years for them to get to that point.

Washing machines and dryers used for MFs shouldn`t be contaminated with softeners/dryer sheets/etc. Not a biggie, I use softeners and sheets in the same washer/dryer all the time, just takes a moment to clean `em out before a load of MFs. I`m cleaning out my washers/dryers fairly often anyhow and this just amounts to a little more work on the softener dispensers.

If a consumer clothes drier gets hot enough to damage MF, it`s *SERIOUSLY* out of wack. They shouldn`t get even close to that even on their hottest setting (no dryer I`ve ever used, residential or commercial, has gotten too hot for MFs even on the hottest settings).
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a washing machine that has a setting with 194F. And before I start washing the car or if possible sooner I start it on that setting and a wash detergent and in the rinse white vinegar. This to make the washing machine clean for the drying towels. I have started to not use any drying aid with them also. And not mix them with any other mf towels. Next up is the mf towels I use to apply a QD of some sort if I have done that. And then the dirty towels and wash mitts and after that if used the ones used on the wheels. The towels except the drying towels has soaking buckets. QD towels in the wash bucket and mitts and dirty towels in the rinse bucket and wheel media för cleaning in the wheel bucket. If drying the wheels they are not going in any bucket.

In the drying towels wash and the QD towels I ad white vinegar in the rinse cycle and do an extra rinse cycle neat. This maybe is an extra cautious thing to do but feel it`s makes a difference to do this method for me. And the drying towels is more plush when done this way. Sometimes I have experienced that the drying towels and the QD ones has been clogged up with something. Either fabric softerner residue or the drying aid has done it. So I do this extra to get the most out of mf towels. I don`t have a tumble dryer so they are air dryed. It has revived some mf towels that feeled like they where not as effective as before. If useing any drying aid or QD or spray wax it`s important to not let them dry when used. Have a bucket with some cleaner in it and soak them and wring them out and in the bucket again directly after use and let them in there to when it`s time for washing them.
    Thanks re-tired thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

For cleaning the Washer, there is a product called Affresh, that I have used for years in my HE front loader to keep it really clean.
    It`s a big tablet I just throw in the machine and set it to the "Clean washer with Affresh" setting and it does it all..

If I didn`t have this setting, I would run a load with hot water and a double rinse and the Affresh tab to really clean out the washer..

I agree the Dryer may also be an issue sometimes, and a good cleaning in there would not hurt if you know a lot of those dang dryer sheets have been in there..

Don`t ever use microfiber anything to do the Initial dry off; my first experiences with those made for drying long time ago, was not good, so I moved on from that process..

Agree with all above that Distilled White Vinegar in either the wash and/or rinse cycle will always help microfiber towels work better and they actually get cleaned better..
    It`s very inexpensive and comes in up to gallon jugs in the food aisle of your favorite store..

Believe someone was talking about drying towels sold by Griot that are supposed to be really good ???
    Dan F
    Thanks re-tired thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I have a washing machine that has a setting with 194F...
    That sounds similar to the "Sanitary" cycle on mine, yeah, I too find it very effective for MFs.

..In the drying towels wash and the QD towels I ad white vinegar in the rinse cycle and do an extra rinse cycle neat. This maybe is an extra cautious thing to do but feel it`s makes a difference to do this method for me.
    I do the same thing.

... If useing any drying aid or QD or spray wax it`s important to not let them dry when used..
    Not that I suggest anybody try this, but mine sit around soaked with SprayWax/etc. until they dry...and then they usually sit there some more, sometimes for weeks, before I launder them. Sheesh, sounds awful all right! But so far, so good, no issues with it killing `em. Yet. Maybe because I do launder them pretty aggressively...

Post Thanks / Like

gonna try the vinegar deal I guess- wouldn`t hurt
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re-Tired -

I`m not sure if I was clear on your OP. What expectations do you have for example on your comment on the Eagle Edgeless towel ? Are you using this on a bare wet panel post washing.

The EE are more for dry applications and or a QD sort of deal.
    So is the root issue more about wrong towel / wrong application

Post Thanks / Like

I would test Griots Garage pfm they have 2 sizes and are a twisted loop nap. If you want to test a little cheaper twisted loop mf towel then gyeon silk dryer is a good option. The difference between them is that pfm is double sided and gyeon is one sided. If you like smaller drying towels I would consider pfm 16×16" terry weave that are sold in set of 2. Would you like a bigger I would consider the gyeon large silk dryer. I don`t know if Autopia carries the gyeon silk mitt but that one is great for drying with control on wheels or the hard to get spaces. I went with Sonax version of terry weave twisted loop nap drying towel. Have not been able to use it yet though. They have a really quick absorbant ability and hold water quite well. I have Liquid Elements Silverback XL which is an awesome drying towel that hold alot of water. It`s like a bath towel and 1200gsm and super soft mf split nap. I wanted a drying towel for the first dry off that`s why the Sonax on the horisontell panels. Then finish of with the Silverback to soak up the little that is left.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Griot`s PFM apparently might be one MF that does most everything well, from buffing polish/LSP residue to drying. I sure do like the ones for Glass (other than the silly-small size, be sure to buy a lot of `em), and some day I`ll try the regular ones...but it`s not like there`s really anything deficient about the MFs I`m using now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information