Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Rock Paint Chip Rusts - Your procedure

So I got a rock chip on the hood that went un-noticed - literally I spied a small rust spot which made me Notice...

Anyhow, just short of the usual sand, rust converter, prime and paint, I`d be curious what techniques do ya`ll use....
    Still got another 1.5 lease on this one, and well, as you all know, rust is like cancer...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rock Paint Chip Rusts - Your procedure

Pretty much best out there is Dr. Colorchip

Post Thanks / Like

OP is not about paint chip repair. It`s more about rust chip repair --- leading up to paint

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a hand like a surgeon you can use a Dremel and the smallest engraving bit. I was able to remove rust from many chips this way, my Lexus was 10 plus years old at the time and I wasn’t worried if I screwed up. I don’t know if I would try this method on a lease.

If it was my leased vehicle I would just cover it with OEM touch up paint. One trick is to thin the paint and buy the finest tip brush you can find. Walmart has a decent set of fine tip brushes in their hobby/craft section.
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My #1, if not-too-Autopian answer is to just live with `em. I`ve let them go for many years (decades in the case of the Jag, before my painter got fed up and fixed `em gratis) with zero problems whatsoever. None. At all.

But OK...this is Autopia, so:

The only rust converter I liked for this specific job has been off the market for years, so I no longer use that approach. Using rust-killer chemicals (acids/etc.) isn`t my approach either as it`s too hard to keep them off the surrounding paint (and IME the effective ones aren`t paint-friendly). So I too do it mechanically.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    If you have a hand like a surgeon you can use a Dremel and the smallest engraving bit..
    Use an illuminated and magnified viewing system and a tiny diamond burr and the process is downright Accumulator-proof. Somebody with better vision might not even need the viewing system, but I find it invaluable (I have a magnifying visor fitted with LEDs). A flexible extension shaft makes it easier to control, or at least more comfortable, but isn`t essential. I stick with 240grit burrs, but you do have to go slow and clean them frequently or they won`t last long.

Yeah, it can sound scary, but it isn`t all that hard if you think it through, use the right stuff, and approach it with the right mindset.

I prime with some "paint over rust" type product (NOT POR15!!) that`ll be OK as a primer (lots of considerations there...) and then touch up with whatever seems right for that job (DrColorChips, regular t/u paint, just depends).

One trick is to thin the paint and buy the finest tip brush you can find. Walmart has a decent set of fine tip brushes in their hobby/craft section.
    I seldom go smaller than a 000/"3-Oh", especially with metallics.

Post Thanks / Like

Iron-X Paste works for me, sometimes it takes multiple hits to clean the rust, with a little agitation from a brush. Once rust is cleaned and metal looks clean, coat with an LSP or touch up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Iron-X Paste works for me, sometimes it takes multiple hits to clean the rust, with a little agitation from a brush. Once rust is cleaned and metal looks clean, coat with an LSP or touch up.
    Ah, I`d wondered if it were strong enough for that (VG "B" sure isn`t)! I tried their, uhm...other stuff, forget the name...and it wasn`t much stronger than the "B". Guess I gave up too soon

I agree with you on the LSPing, it`s not "the right fix" but it can work pretty well for practical purposes. I`ve been doing that in the Tahoe`s doorjambs where the paint is all worn away (it was deep crusty-rust when I got it).

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting feedback so far. The only metrics I have on rust is just some ornate ironwork we had at our last house. I went gangbusters on prep - angle grinder, etc, the works. Needless to say, some minute rust still existed in places where I was not going to sit there with a detail sander and get the nooks out - afterall, it`s and outside piece. 2 Years, later, I see bubbling / rust in some area. When rust exist (not sure how fast it leaches), but I do know it goes under the paint surface and spreads. I guess the question is, how longs does that take...

Post Thanks / Like

For stuff like that ironwork, try RustSeal by KBS Coatings. Whole different ballgame compared to,say... POR15. And use (the right) chemicals for the prep instead of grinding/etc. (well, after scraping/etc. off the worst of it/loose stuff). RustBlast by RustBullet is my fave for that.

What works for ironwork can work for stuff like rear axle housings too

Post Thanks / Like

Wait, if this is a lease, isn’t there something that the dealership can do since it is *technically* their car?

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. I`m OCD about cars, when it`s under my garage and roof, regardless who the true owner is...I`m even replace trim if it get`s scuffed

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link with RustSeal. I must have had 3-4 different discussions with Sherwin Williams Industrial before application...

Post Thanks / Like

How about this for rust then

Remove Rust from Metal with Naval Jelly

Post Thanks / Like

Naval jelly has been around longer than I`ve been alive. That said, I`ve never had any kind of real success with it. So haven`t tried it again since the early 80`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Try some of that fall out remover / purple wheel cleaning stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information