Post Thanks / Like

Vinyl graphics - detailing questions

I`ve been lurking here for a long time and have learned a lot about detailing from the posts here.

I am purchasing a new vehicle, the one I`m getting has matte vinyl graphics. I had not intended to get the graphics, but it just worked out that way. My questions deal with the graphics, I am decently versed on what to do on the paint.

I plan on washing, Iron-X, claying, a very light polish and then applying Wolfgang Uber Ceramic coating. My questions are:
    1. Should the graphics be clayed?
    2. Machine polishing the graphics? Yay or nay?
    3. Can the ceramic coating be applied to the vinyl?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinyl graphics - detailing questions

I would not clay the graphics, I have polished water spots on them using a finishing pad with light pressure. As far as coating, I would contact the coating people and ask them. Some coatings won’t change the looks and some can.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I too would not clay the graphics and probably wouldn’t use a polisher without extreme caution. I’ve heard of people having success using a polisher with fine pads and polish but I can’t speak to that as of yet.

A few months ago I put some rather large graphics on my Ford F-150 (F150 Tremor “like” graphics). The decals are one of 3M’s higher end vinyls. I contacted 3M at the time to get a little info on the install and maintenance of the product. They recommended I treat the graphics like the vehicles paint when it comes to protection. I have since used several different sealants on the decals and they look great. My graphics are more of a semi-gloss finish as opposed to a matte finish. I don’t think a coating will hurt your vinyl but I have to wonder if it wouldn’t add a sheen to the matte finish. I’ll be interested to see what you decide to do.

314BEAC2-6B83-4A0A-A16E-520AF4A9E59C.jpeg
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, re-tired liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have hand polished the vinyl on my camaro. That said mine are glossy vinyl. On YT Dallas paint correction and auto detailing has a video on machine polishing vinyl decals. Again though in that video they were glossy decals.

Post Thanks / Like

Be very cautious on matte vinyl and more so if it’s a matte woven look like carbon fiber. Some manumake cleaners and sealants for the matte paint and decals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video on matte strips, and different approaches. https://youtu.be/Qt5QdL6pzYQ
    not saying it`s gospel, but more ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice/replies.

I have emailed the coating manufacturer. I just was not anticipating getting a truck with graphics and had not prepared for that possibility when acquiring the detailing supplies for the new ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I have got matte graphics on my roush mustang- I just spray the whole car with hydro 2
    Looks good to me ( and everyone else that sees it )
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have Angelwax ti-22 sealant at home and it`s based of tio2. Tio2 is not unusual in coatings and those I know of is carpro cquarts classic and Polish Angel coatings and spray sealant as High Gloss and Cosmic spritz. But angelwax ti-22 has written on it that not to use on ppf and clearbras and vinyl. Don`t know if it`s tio2 or a carrier for it that can mess those up. Just a heads up when useing something with tio2 in it and check out if you can use it every where. Maybe it`s just ti-22 that has something in it that is not compatible with vinyl ppf.

Wondering if the car manufacture use vinyl or if it`s another material these days but the name is still the same? Maybe check with the car manufacture what the material is and what there is faceing up?

Post Thanks / Like

pick up gyeon q2m cure MATTE - can be picked up here if you put it in the comments as I don`t think its on the site yet but its on AGs

don`t clay the vinyl, and I`m not even sure I`d let iron remover get on it

you can put GTECH C1 on matte and exov3 says on some sites you can use it on matte

I personally like cosmic spritz and cosmic v2 on matte

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brandt,

I`ll be picking up the truck in BCS on Friday, it doesn`t look like the weather in Central Texas will be conducive to doing much this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had the front end of my car fixed and need to replace the stripes on the front fascia. I was reading the instructions and come across the care. I have run polish across mine with no ill affects but see it should be avoided. Mine are gloss white and have waxed it and is recommended but there is instructions for matte stripes also. The following is for 3M vinyl. Hope this helps.

Caring for Your Vehicle Graphics & Wraps
    Care for your vehicle graphics like you would any fine paint finish. Using high quality products designed specifically for car care and these cleaning and maintenance procedures will help keep your 3M vehicle wraps looking their best.
    1. Wash regularly  Wash whenever the car appears dirty. Contaminants allowed to remain on the vehicle wrap may be more difficult to remove during cleaning.  Rinse off as much dirt and grit as possible with a spray of water.  See item 4, Difficult contaminants, for spot cleaning bird droppings, tar, etc.  Use a wet, non-abrasive detergent such as 3M™ Car Wash Soap 39000 or Meguiar`s NXT Generation® Car Wash or Deep Crystal® Car Wash and a soft, clean cloth or sponge.  Rinse thoroughly with clean water. To reduce water spotting, immediately use a silicone squeegee to remove water and finish with a clean microfiber cloth.
    2. Automated car washes Brush-type car washes are not recommended as they can abrade the film and cause edges to lift or chip, as well as dulling the film`s appearance. Brushless car washes are acceptable.
    3. Pressure washing Although hand washing is the preferred cleaning method, pressure washing may be used under these conditions.  Ensure the water pressure is kept below 2000 psi (14 MPa).  Keep water temperature below 80°C (180°F).  Use a spray nozzle with a 40 degree wide angle spray pattern.  Keep the nozzle at least 1 foot (300 mm) away from and perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to the graphic.
    Important Note! Holding the nozzle of a pressure washer at an angle to the graphic may lift the edges of the film.
    4. Difficult contaminants Soften difficult contaminants such as bug splatter, bird droppings, tree sap and similar contaminants by soaking them for several minutes with very hot, soapy water. Rinse thoroughly and dry. If further cleaning is needed, test one of these products in an inconspicuous area to ensure no damage to the wrap film: Meguiar`s Gold Class™ Bug and Tar Remover or 3M™ Citrus Base Cleaner. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) (two parts IPA to 1 part water) or denatured alcohol may also help. Spot clean the contaminants. Do not use rough scrubbing or abrasive tools, which will scratch the film. Wash and rinse off all residue immediately.
    5. Fuel spills Wipe off immediately to avoid degrading the vinyl and adhesive. Then wash, rinse and dry as in Item 1 as soon as possible.
    6. Store indoors or under cover whenever possible
    Wrap films (just like paint) are degraded by prolonged exposure to sun and atmospheric pollutants, particularly on the horizontal surfaces such as hood, trunk lid and roof. Whenever possible, store in a garage or at least in a shaded area during the day. At night, protect the car from dew or rain, which may contain acidic pollutants (a common problem in many large metropolitan areas). When a garage is not available, consider using a cloth car cover at night. If your wrap film starts to discolor or turn brown (which is caused by acidic pollution), immediately have a professional remove the wrap film from the vehicle to avoid staining the underlying paint.
    FAQ Vehicle Care
    7. Film restoration The following restoration recommendations will help keep your vehicle wraps looking their best.  Do not use any abrasive polishes or cutting compounds.  Do not use any polishing or wax products on matte or textured films.  Use if there is wax or wax residue on the surface, remove with an all-purpose cleaner.  Table 1 shows some available products to help restore your vehicle wrap. Before using, always test and approve in an inconspicuous area.
    TABLE 1 Restoration Alternatives
    Film or Finish Type Product or Solution
    Smooth Gloss Texture 3M™ Perfect-it™ Show Car Paste Wax 39526 Meguiar`s Gold Class™ Carnuaba Plus Premium Liquid Wax
    Matte or Satin Texture Isopropyl alcohol and water (ratio 2:1)
    Matte White (1080-M10) Carbon Fiber White (1080-CF10)
    Based on type/degree of contamination, use one or more of these solutions, in the order shown, to remove any build-up: 1. Hot, soapy water solution 2. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and water (ratio 2:1) 3. Simple Green® All-Purpose Cleaner 4. Household chlorine bleach; followed by IPA/water (#2) 5. Mineral spirits; followed by IPA/water (#2)
    Carbon Fiber or Brushed Metal Texture 3M™ Tire Restorer or Meguiar`s Natural Shine Protectant
    Carbon Fiber Black (1080-CF12) Meguiar`s Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer
    8. Visit us on the web! For complete information about 3M products and warranties, please go to: Graphics & Signage - Graphic Solutions | 3M US,
    Dean.
    Likes EMY92 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know the op`s post was about matte vinyl. Today I da polished the gloss vinyl decals on the hood. They were milky in appearance. I used hyper polish, and a lc white pad. I didn`t want to go too aggressive and ruin them. This achieved i nice gloss again. I would say it`s 75% , as there`s still some swirls to be seen in them. They were bad enough looking I had thought about removing it. Now, it`s acceptable again.
    Vinyl graphics - detailing questions-img_0082.jpgVinyl graphics - detailing questions-img_0081.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Larry from Ammo who has a video on a GT40 he did with Kevin Brown. They explain how to polish vinyl.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information