Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Replenishing Supplies: Polish

In preparation for the next round of Spring sales, I`m looking at replenishing my polish supply. Everyone was very helpful in answering my questions about pads.

I recently used up my supply of Blackfire SRC Polish and Meguiars Ultimate Polish. The UP was my first polish and I continually used it on vehicles with a softer paint like Subaru, Toyota, and Mazda, while the Blackfire was used on my Black VW with very hard paint. I still have the "matching" compounds for difficult places, but try to use them only on an as-needed basis. I could continue on with the UP, but I was surprised to find the Blackfire SRC polish left a much better finish than UP when working on my daughter`s Honda. That lead me to realize I should try something better. As I moved into coatings, I also became more aware of the oils both polishes left behind and it was significant. Neither was easy to clean off with a coating prep. All these factors and a desire to try new products now have me on the hunt.

All of my vehicles are in good shape, so I`m only using the polish to refresh the surface every 12~18 on my daily drivers, not heavy work on heavily abused vehicles.

Here are my requirements:

• A finishing polish that works well on VERY soft paints like Honda, Toyota and a medium polish/swirl remover for the hard/medium paint. I`m open to a single product that would work well on both...if it exists.
    • Work well as a 1-step to finish LSP ready for a coating
    • Not oily/hard to remove.
    • Available in an 8oz bottle. I go through product far to slowly to need large quantities. I don`t want it going bad in my garage.
    • Reasonable price

So far my I`ve thought of the following possible options.
    1. Sonax 04/06 and Jescar Finishing Polish
    2. Sonax 04/06 and HD Polish+

I`m not hooked on the Sonax, but all the good reviews make me interested in giving it a try. The Polish+ and Jescar were simply based on positive reviews working on soft paint. I`m open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replenishing Supplies: Polish

Desertnate- This is probably irrelevant at this point, but the BF (relabeled Menzerna, from their "106" family, unless they`ve changed it) and the UP (similar to M205 unless they`ve changed it) are two *VERY* different polishes in virtually all respects.

More on-topic, FWIW, I`m still using HD Polish with complete, and I do mean 100%, satisfaction. Love the stuff, especially after struggling with the oils in M205.

Another just FWIW, I can`t recall a polish or compound *ever* going bad for me. Other than my M101, I don`t even have any such products that aren`t at least, gee I dunno...at least 5-6YO and most of mine are a LOT older than that. Not saying that`s normal, but it`s how it goes for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Desertnate- This is probably irrelevant at this point, but the BF (relabeled Menzerna, from their "106" family, unless they`ve changed it) and the UP (similar to M205 unless they`ve changed it) are two *VERY* different polishes in virtually all respects.
    The BF SRC polishes are no longer sold. I`m not sure what the new reformulated ones are like, but the 8oz bottles are pretty expensive compared to other brands. I realize they were very different and probably should have used them more interchangeably, but I found a process that seemed to work well and simply kept going. Only recently did I realize how much better the BF performed over the UP.

More on-topic, FWIW, I`m still using HD Polish with complete, and I do mean 100%, satisfaction. Love the stuff, especially after struggling with the oils in M205.
    How has it worked for you on hard German paint. I`d consider it as a single option if it works well. I have no issued changing up pads to adjust cut, but I still want something that will finish down nicely.

Another just FWIW, I can`t recall a polish or compound *ever* going bad for me. Other than my M101, I don`t even have any such products that aren`t at least, gee I dunno...at least 5-6YO and most of mine are a LOT older than that. Not saying that`s normal, but it`s how it goes for me.
    I noticed the UP hadn`t changed much over the 5-ish years I`d owned it, but I noticed my slightly younger BF SRC Polish started to change. It seemed thicker, and while it polished as nicely as ever, it was was harder to remove, and it seemed to gum up my pads a bit more. Nothing major, just a little more gooey than previously if that makes sense. If it hadn`t been so easy to use for the years before, I wouldn`t have thought twice. Also, the industry changes and improved products come out all the time. I`d just like to cycle through and upgrade a little more frequently. 16oz bottles lasted me five years doing three vehicles twice a year. Now that I`m using coating and only polishing every 12 to 18 months a single bottle would last a decade! I`ll commit to a car for that long, but not sure about my detailing products!

Post Thanks / Like

I was not fond of HD Polish and did not care to pick up HD Polish+. I actually gave my bottle away.

Sonax EX 04-06 is actually quite nice to work with. Nicer than HD Polish from my experience. I can not comment on how it works on soft paint but it works well on medium paint as a one step.

Have not used Jescar either. But it seems like a nice polish.

I did get a sample of McKee`s Fast Polish and it is a nice polish.

Send me a PM and I will send you over a sample of the new Blackfire Compound and Polish to mess around with. Meghan sent me the 32 oz bottles for review and that is more than I need.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In my arsenal I have:

Megs:
    UP
    UC
    M80
    M101
    M105
    M205

Whenever I run out of M101 or M205, I really want to replace with Griot`s BOSS products, they have gotten really stellar reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

I would add Griot`s Garage Boss Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream to you list of polishes to consider. Very easy to work with, and great results!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely recommend Griot’s perfecting cream. I’ve been thru the Sonax and meguiars and Griot’s out performs them both. Have not found a paint they won’t work great on. Any pad for any product they have gives you many combinations to get the results you need.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess by your post you are only interested in purchasing the products from PBMG, as I do most of the time. If you are willing to look "outside the box"
    The last cut polish seems to be all the rage / hot ticket right now. I have had a few people tell me thats all they intend to use for the forceable future.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Perfect Finish, Jescar Polish, M205. Scholl S20 Black is very nice, especially wirh the spider pads and for me S40 trounced Menz 3800 (Crimson hydrotech)

Scholl really nice on sift, sticky paint, very, very little product usage and faster working cycle than something Menz. I think they call it Rapid Diminishing Abrasives or some such marketing speak.

Too bad idiots designed some of their bottles but think they are/Have worked a bit on rhat.

Oh, and I have had an infatuation with HD Polish+ the past few months, especially for light polishing with 3401 but I tend to prefer SMAT stuff with Flex.
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    I guess by your post you are only interested in purchasing the products from PBMG, as I do most of the time. If you are willing to look "outside the box"
    The last cut polish seems to be all the rage / hot ticket right now. I have had a few people tell me thats all they intend to use for the forceable future.
    i have just started to play around with last cut and I like it so far. It’s a compound, but others say it’s versatile and can finish out well with finishing pads. Griots fast correct and regular correcting creams are excellent. Shine supply is another non PBMG brand that I have experimented with lately as well, with good results. There are a lot of good choices out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t tried them all but recently I tried the Gyeon polish and it worked well on our soft paint Honda with a green pad

It’s a 120 ml bottle for like 12 bucks. Not the cheapest but not stuck with 32 oz for home use lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Ah, thanks for explaining! Gee, wonder how my BF SRC Polish is doing if yours started to thicken up! Might oughta check that, not that I plan on using it...

Yeah, the HD Polish works fine for me on hard clear (which most of my vehicles have) and finishes out fine on clear that isn`t all that hard (haven`t tried it on the Jag`s ss lacquer though). BUT...I don`t expect it to do any correction; I always correct with more aggressive stuff and merely finish out with Finishing Polishes like HD Polish.

The Guz- I`d love to hear why you didn`t like the HD Polish! Maybe there`s something I oughta consider that slipped under my radar. I`ve never tried Polish +, just the v1.0, and if I might like something else (e.g., Griot`s Perfecting Cream) better I`d give it some consideration.
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    I would add Griot`s Garage Boss Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream to you list of polishes to consider. Very easy to work with, and great results!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Absolutely recommend Griot’s perfecting cream. I’ve been thru the Sonax and meguiars and Griot’s out performs them both. Have not found a paint they won’t work great on. Any pad for any product they have gives you many combinations to get the results you need.
    Two votes for the Griots. Interesting. I completely forgot the BOSS line when I wrote the original post. I like hearing they work well on a large variety of paints. I`m guessing Perfecting Cream and Correcting Cream would cover most bases that don`t require an aggressive compound? I love their One Step Sealant. Great correction on soft paint, it just doesn`t last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    I am not stuck on PBMG brands/store products. They are simply what I know and have seen reviewed. I`m always open to others. One of the big reasons I created an account here was to learn more and discuss options outside the PBMG umbrella. Who makes Last Cut Polish? I`ve never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Sonax Perfect Finish, Jescar Polish, M205. Scholl S20 Black is very nice, especially wirh the spider pads and for me S40 trounced Menz 3800 (Crimson hydrotech)

Scholl really nice on sift, sticky paint, very, very little product usage and faster working cycle than something Menz. I think they call it Rapid Diminishing Abrasives or some such marketing speak.

Too bad idiots designed some of their bottles but think they are/Have worked a bit on rhat.

Oh, and I have had an infatuation with HD Polish+ the past few months, especially for light polishing with 3401 but I tend to prefer SMAT stuff with Flex.
    The Scholls S40 or S30+ has been on my scope, but I didn`t know much about them other than they seem to be a good choice for really soft Japanese paint. They are a little pricey, which is one drawback for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I was not fond of HD Polish and did not care to pick up HD Polish+. I actually gave my bottle away.

Sonax EX 04-06 is actually quite nice to work with. Nicer than HD Polish from my experience. I can not comment on how it works on soft paint but it works well on medium paint as a one step.

Have not used Jescar either. But it seems like a nice polish.

I did get a sample of McKee`s Fast Polish and it is a nice polish.

Send me a PM and I will send you over a sample of the new Blackfire Compound and Polish to mess around with. Meghan sent me the 32 oz bottles for review and that is more than I need.
    Thank you! That is very generous.

Well...now I have all sorts of options to think about. I really appreciate all of the suggestions. Maybe I`ll take the easy way and get a few to try out. I hear there is a member where who does the same thing with coatings....

Post Thanks / Like

Desert Nate
    The last cut compounding glaze is put out by a fella Named Jace Price out of Nevada, and calls his company the last detail. I have read many reviews by professional and critical hobbyists alike and 100% of the reviews were super good. Finishes down like a finishing polish- uses D.A.T and has ZERO fillers which most folks associate with a glaze.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

DesertNate --

Have found Sonax Perfect Finish with the Lake Country Hydro-Tech Cyan color pad on my Makita work really great at correcting German Paint and then finishing down really well..

There was a lot of talk about this product having fillers in it years ago, so that needs to be a consideration if you are doing coating afterwards..

As an experiment for the boss of the German Car Repair Shop I worked out of, I corrected his severely scratched, never Detailed, Jet Black 5-series for him with Sonax Perfect Finish, then applied Sonax Net Shield over it, then the car sat outside in the rain, snow, and some sun for over a year and it rejected dirt, etc., and always looked fabulous..

Another easy to use Polish especially on Honda/Acura, softer paints has been Optimum Hyper Polish... Adjusting pads always helps it do more or less and it is of the non-diminishing abrasives variety.. Always clean, easy to remove, not finicky, etc..
    Dan F
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information