Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replenishing Supplies: Polish

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    DesertNate --

Have found Sonax Perfect Finish with the Lake Country Hydro-Tech Cyan color pad on my Makita work really great at correcting German Paint and then finishing down really well..

There was a lot of talk about this product having fillers in it years ago, so that needs to be a consideration if you are doing coating afterwards..

As an experiment for the boss of the German Car Repair Shop I worked out of, I corrected his severely scratched, never Detailed, Jet Black 5-series for him with Sonax Perfect Finish, then applied Sonax Net Shield over it, then the car sat outside in the rain, snow, and some sun for over a year and it rejected dirt, etc., and always looked fabulous..

Another easy to use Polish especially on Honda/Acura, softer paints has been Optimum Hyper Polish... Adjusting pads always helps it do more or less and it is of the non-diminishing abrasives variety.. Always clean, easy to remove, not finicky, etc..
    Dan F
    I had read Perfect Finish had fillers, but it was my understanding the EX O4-06 does not. Am I correct? I probably wasn`t very clear, but EX 04-06 was the one I was considering due to the lack of fillers and the lower cost.

I hadn`t even thought about Hyper Polish. Spraying is intriguing way to go with a polish. Is it very aggressive, or is the cut pad dependant? Also, how oily is Hyper Polish. Since I am applying coatings I really don`t want to deal with cleaning up lots of polishing oils.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

DesertNate --

In all the times I used Perfect Finish, wiped down several times with Car Pro Eraser or Menzerna Top Inspection, and coated with Optimum products, I never had a problem with it..
    Not sure about their newer product you mention, sorry..

Regarding Optimum Hyper Polish, love the product, hate the sprayer; just shook it up really well and put it in a plastic bottle and it was fine..
    I get what Optimum was doing when they introduced it with the sprayer, I just probably did not do a good enough job of cleaning the sprayer out after I used it and that is what caused it to clog, spit, etc...

This product is a polish, but cuts, corrects, really fast on a Rotary of course, and will work as long as you keep spinning it.
    The good part is that especially on less whacked paint, you can probably do a 1 step and it will look fabulous..

And for sure, on all Acura / Honda paint I ever used it on, the finish was beautifully clear and glossy..
    DanF
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I had read Perfect Finish had fillers, but it was my understanding the EX O4-06 does not. Am I correct? I probably wasn`t very clear, but EX 04-06 was the one I was considering due to the lack of fillers and the lower cost.

I hadn`t even thought about Hyper Polish. Spraying is intriguing way to go with a polish. Is it very aggressive, or is the cut pad dependant? Also, how oily is Hyper Polish. Since I am applying coatings I really don`t want to deal with cleaning up lots of polishing oils.
    Perfect Finish is nice but I am basing that on one panel that I used it on. I have read the same thing about fillers but I am not sure if it does. I will have to test that out again with the small bottle I have. Perfect Finish tended to dust more for me and thus put it away for the time being as I did not want to deal with that at the time. EX 04-06 did not dust and does not have fillers as I used it on my personal car. EX 04-06 is water based. I did get some weird behavior from EX 04-06 on my mom`s car which has sticky paint. EX 04-06 would turn into little balls of polish during the working cycle. Griot`s Perfecting Cream did the same thing.

I ended up using Hyper Polish on my mom`s car and that worked great. It`s a real nice polish that is not oily and is nice for a polish being used prior to a coating. Pretty versatile like M205. It will stain pads blue. The spray makes it easy to use as one spray is enough to get product onto the pad. I can`t recall if it is water based.

You can get a 4 oz sample size from the rag company. So the next time you need towels you can add one to your order.

Polishes that I would not hesitate to use prior to any coating from my personal experience are Sonax EX 04-06, Opt Hyper Polish, Gyeon Polish, Griot`s Perfecting Cream.

I would toss in Gyeon Primer if you are going to use a Gyeon coating and Essence if you use Cquartz. I prefer to stay within the product family for these two.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, BadgerRivFan, MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard the `fillers` discussions with PF but have heard from Sonax not the case. Was originally designed for rotaries I guess, but migrated to be a nice product on all machines. Reccomendation was to insure working completely thru cycle, panel wipe...good to go.

I`ve used it under many coatings, no issues I`ve seen. Bit pricey but doesn`t take much product on pad to work. Still, I didn`t need a 32oz bottle...that was dumb (again).
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn`t get the Optimum Spray Polish/Compound products to spray properly. Never. No matter what I tried. Simply not Accumulator-proof and they didn`t wow me when I did get the stuff on the pad. YMMV...
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all again for all the suggestions and insight.

Since I`m not set on one coating I don`t think I`ll go the Essence/Primer route simply to keep things simply and not get locked into a brand specific primer.

Thanks for pointing out The Rag Company selling Optimum products. I had no idea and previously bought my WW towels from them off Amazon. Right now it looks like their only 4oz polish samples are for Intensive Polish not Hyper Polish.

At this point I think I`ll stick with EX 04-06 for the hard paint on my VW. I`m waffling when it becomes down to something for the the very soft paint on my Honda and Toyota. Right now I think I`m down to HD Polish+ or Hyper Polish. I`m sure I`ll figure it out the next time a sale hits.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like they got rid of the 4 oz samples of hyper polish and hyper compound even on their own site. That`s too bad. I think the full bottle of hyper polish is worth having anyway. Better than HD Polish in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    ... I think the full bottle of hyper polish is worth having anyway. Better than HD Polish in my opinion.
    Always interested to hear how/why people prefer [whatever] over the HD The two are quite different, aren`t they? I mean..isn`t the Hyper a diminishing-abrasive product?

Post Thanks / Like

Based on some research performed while procrastinating doing some work last night, there is debate as to exactly what type of abrasives are used. In an old video on AG, Dr. G mentions the product has both SMAT and DAT abrasives. However, not long afterwards a discussion of this topic on the Optimum forums, an Optimum rep stated the abrasives are SMAT. Who knows.

Maybe I`m not experienced enough to care or really notice that much difference, but I do appreciate knowing the abrasive type in order to use the proper technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- FWIW, the reason I like the nondiminishing abrasives is that you don`t *have* to work them until they break down. This makes it easier for me as, well...I just don`t have to think about that and I like that I can work them for a very short time if that`s all that`s required.
    Likes RMD liked this post
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Always interested to hear how/why people prefer [whatever] over the HD The two are quite different, aren`t they? I mean..isn`t the Hyper a diminishing-abrasive product?
    Yvan mentioned in the facebook group that "it`s a proprietary abrasive technology closer to SMAT". Quoted word for word from his post. So similar in non-diminishing abrasives between the two polishes. I

Anyway I am basing my statements on the overall performance between Hyper Polish related to HD Polish and not HD Polish+. Was turned off by HD Polish that I don`t have a desire to try out the + version. Shoot I am going to go out on a limb and say the previous polishes I mentioned up above are better in overall performance compared to HD Polish (non + version).

As a matter of fact I donated my HD Polish to JustJesus free of charge.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm, Menzerna just isn`t sexy anymore on the forums. Personally, I can`t beat 2500 as a one step polish, or specific correction for swirls, towel marks, marring, light etching, etc. Adapt (RIP) was the only thing I`ve liked as well.

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- Ah, so the Hyper is *NOT* what I thought it was after all! Gee, it`s been a while but still, my bad, thanks for schooling me.

Anyway I am basing my statements on the overall performance between Hyper Polish related to HD Polish .. Was turned off by HD Polish..As a matter of fact I donated my HD Polish to JustJesus free of charge.
    Sounds like you were *really* turned off by the HD! I`d love to know exactly why, but I`ll quit belaboring the point and just assume it`s one of those Personal Preference things.

Heh heh, given my incorrect ?take/assumptions/memory? about the Hyper, who knows what I might think if I were to try it again, but eh...that spray-delivery just wasn`t Accumulator-proof for some reason.

Still does get my attention when somebody has a definite preference over one of my faves though! Now I`m all curious about what JustJesus thought of his free HD....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Hmmmm, Menzerna just isn`t sexy anymore on the forums. Personally, I can`t beat 2500 as a one step polish, or specific correction for swirls, towel marks, marring, light etching, etc. Adapt (RIP) was the only thing I`ve liked as well.
    I wasn`t looking at Menzerna because they are so oily. By all accounts, the BF SRC Duo I was using is similar in many ways to Menzerna products. I really liked it as a polish, but the clean up and coating prep afterwards was difficult because of the polishing oils left behind. If I was still using sealants like 845, they may have still been in the running.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Yeah, the oils and associated, uhm...factors...in Menzerna rule it out for me too. But the BF SRC stuff was pretty low-oil for them, probably the only stuff of theirs I didn`t absolutely hate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information