Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post polish - IPA or cleanser?

Panel Wipe from gtechniq would be a better alternative to alcohol. It contains hydrocarbons which will undoubtedly remove any waxes or polishing oils on the surface. Like others have said IPA is not a good "panel wipe" especially for coating prep. People should stop using it IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    bcgreen- Ah, OK, thanks for explaining, now I follow! If you think your car needs that (mine simply never do), and you want to use a product like Pinnacle PCL..then OK, that`s up to you. Note that many paint cleaners (including that PCL) do leave something behind, so it`s not like they`re just another way of leaving the paint "bare" (squeaky clean isn`t always the same as bare paint). Whether that matters or not depends on various things including what LSP you`re using (FWIW, I absolutely do NOT need bare paint under most of my LSPs, makes zero diff whatesoever so I don`t give it any thought).

I`m surprised your car needs all that prep after just four months, but maybe your conditions are especially hard on it. Just FWIW, if I thought my paint needed cleaning (beyond clay/etc.) I`d just go over it with an AIO that`s compatible with my LSPs. But then, my paints simply never seem to need that kind of attention; I just reapply my LSP and all is well. IME it`s *very* easy to overcomplicate this stuff and spend forever doing stuff that doesn`t really need doing...just as, conversely, it`s easy to overlook something that really *does* need done! The trick is to evaluate everything first and then just do what`s needed (no more, no less) and do that properly.
    Maybe I`m overthinking this who process, but I am seeing new light marring primarily at the rear of the car where alot of dust and dirt build up. I am going to go over these areas with some sort of light polish, something like m205. If I am going to polish and apply the Wolfgang sealant I thought an extra step might bring out a little more gloss and the sealant would have a better surface to bond to. My previous application I only clayed before the sealant, as the previous owner, the dealership, took good care of the paint, surprisingly. Maybe I should have used another step at that time, I don`t know, as the paint always looked good. So since I am going to clay, polish, maybe I should do another step before the sealant and that`s why I am here with my posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Maybe I`m overthinking this who process...
    Heh heh, far be it from me to dissuade somebody from (?over?)thinking!

...I am seeing new light marring primarily at the rear of the car...[and]...I am going to go over these areas with some sort of light polish, something like m205. If I am going to polish and apply the Wolfgang sealant I thought an extra step might bring out a little more gloss and the sealant would have a better surface to bond to...

OK, heh heh...now I`m finally up to speed and understanding! Sheesh, it can take me a while

Noting that I`m not a big fan of M205 *because* of those Trade Secret Oils that you quite properly want to remove...yes indeed, do something to clean `em off.

Maybe they won`t be as tenacious for you as they are for me, but OMG do I find it a PIA to get them completely gone!

IPA doesn`t do it for me. If you use a Paint Cleaner, I`d use something from Wolfgang that`s designed to be compatible with their sealant (which I`ve never used and know nothing about). BUT NOTE THAT I didn`t have good luck getting those TSO out with any of my Paint Cleaners or AIOs. I had to use a product made for that and maybe you should too. OR...just use a different Finishing Polish instead of M205, something like HD Polish that`s infinitely more user-friendly in this regard (and leaves a nicer finish for me too).

Again, sorry that I got all Autopian Interrogator on ya, I just wasn`t on the right wavelength or something.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Accumulator;2128411]Heh heh, far be it from me to dissuade somebody from (?over?)thinking!

OK, heh heh...now I`m finally up to speed and understanding! Sheesh, it can take me a while

It can take me a while too, so you`re not alone.

IPA doesn`t do it for me. If you use a Paint Cleaner, I`d use something from Wolfgang that`s designed to be compatible with their sealant (which I`ve never used and know nothing about). BUT NOTE THAT I didn`t have good luck getting those TSO out with any of my Paint Cleaners or AIOs. I had to use a product made for that and maybe you should too. OR...just use a different Finishing Polish instead of M205, something like HD Polish that`s infinitely more user-friendly in this regard (and leaves a nicer finish for me too).

As always, I tend to take your advise on getting the HD Polish. I think you were the one that also recommended some years ago where I was at my wits end with the super soft paint on my black G35 and you recommended that I use Opti-Coat. That was a real life saver and did indeed give the vehicle another layer of clear coat that was harder than the factory.

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- Glad you find something of value in my posts, especially since it sometimes takes me a while to figure out what we`re talking about

So did that work OK on the G35? Soft paint is something I really don`t know about first-hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    bcgreen- Glad you find something of value in my posts, especially since it sometimes takes me a while to figure out what we`re talking about

So did that work OK on the G35? Soft paint is something I really don`t know about first-hand.
    Absolutely, it worked - worked beautifully. That posting of mine became rather lengthy as people chimed in trying to figure out why I was getting so many scratches - I even mention that a cotton ball would scratch the black paint. I was polishing the paint so often that I could see an area just behind the door, where the wife would grab, on exiting, a faint showing of red primer. Too bad Opti people raised the price beyond it being a sealant for my consideration. Subsequently Infiniti manufacturer in their future autos had a sticker placed under hood stating that the paint was hard( I never saw it, but that`s what I had heard). The next car was such a easy car to detail, Audi A3 TDI, that once I got the paint perfected and sealed, it took some abuse without showing any marring. Took the money from the VW feasco and ran to the Macan. Also a rather hard paint.
    Always enjoy reading your postings.

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- Yeah, that Audi-level hardness is good IMO. Heh heh, I find that Infiniti hard paint sticker amusing...wonder if many Infinity buyers even notice it.

Gee, I didn`t know Optimum raised the price on their GlossCoat (or whatever it`s called these days)...glad I still have enough left to do a few more sets of wheels.

And I do appreciate that comment about my posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm this is an interesting topic. I plan to apply a ceramic coating after polishing my personal vehicle. I wonder if it`d be worth it wipe down with a diluted IPA solution to get most of the polishing residue, then wipe down with Gyeon prep. Or maybe just one pass with liberal amounts of Gyeon prep. Maybe it`s a little counterproductive to use IPA due to its lower lubricity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Hmm this is an interesting topic. I plan to apply a ceramic coating after polishing my personal vehicle. I wonder if it`d be worth it wipe down with a diluted IPA solution to get most of the polishing residue, then wipe down with Gyeon prep. Or maybe just one pass with liberal amounts of Gyeon prep. Maybe it`s a little counterproductive to use IPA due to its lower lubricity.
    I would stick with Gyeon Prep. Be sure to have plenty of towels when doing so.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would stick with Gyeon Prep. Be sure to have plenty of towels when doing so.
    Roger that. I`ll post results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information