Post Thanks / Like

Would you take on this job?

My neighbour has a black BMW 850 CSI that he wants me to detail for him, just the paint. He told me that one panel, he was getting black paint residue on his pad. He is not a detailer by any means just a guy who like to keep his auto. clean. You can see spyder webbing on his cars, but not serious stuff.
    What concerns me is the panel that he has taken off the clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would you take on this job?

My guess is that panel was repainted with single stage paint. Without a paint gauge that’s would be the answer I have. That makes you wonder why was the owner so cheap in repairing the car, other than those cars are extremely expensive to repair. Any history on the car?

Post Thanks / Like

those cars are at least 20 years old. I would take the job and tell him the panel without the clear isn`t included lol..

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, I`d be surprised if somebody reshot an 850 with single stage! The things people do

I`m pretty certain it`s not a case of the clear being gone on a b/c repaint, that looks completely different from ss.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    My neighbour has a black BMW 850 CSI that he wants me to detail for him, just the paint. He told me that one panel, he was getting black paint residue on his pad. He is not a detailer by any means just a guy who like to keep his auto. clean. You can see spyder webbing on his cars, but not serious stuff.
    What concerns me is the panel that he has taken off the clear coat.
    Bcgreen-- Is the color of this bimmer Jet Black, or is there some metallic in it ?

If the clear coat was gone from 1 panel, it would not just all fall off at once, it would be breaking down into things like crows feet,, etc., and coming off a little at a time..
    So, I like the rest, believe that this panel was painted with what was called back then, when that car was built, single-stage paint..
    There were cars with single-stage paint into the 90`s..

I would take that job on no problem but I have a lot of experience on hundreds of Bimmers alone..

How do you feel about your skillset and equipment, product, pads, above average lighting, etc., to take this on ???
    The 850 models are big cars, lots of real estate to do..
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

If he owns an 850 - this is the least of his problems lol
    Likes LGHT, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Black G35 (extremely soft) gave me the experience and confidence to do any black vehicles. I have all the necessary equip. to do the job with the exception of a paint guage.
    So you`re saying this vehicle came with single stage paint?
    Why did he see black paint residue on one panel and not on another area?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Black G35 (extremely soft) gave me the experience and confidence to do any black vehicles. I have all the necessary equip. to do the job with the exception of a paint guage.
    So you`re saying this vehicle came with single stage paint?
    Why did he see black paint residue on one panel and not on another area?
    No, what I meant is just that panel.. It must have been re-done or something..
    If you had a total paint thickness gauge, you could probably tell if that panel had been re-done, because if it had, it would show much higher readings than all the other panels..
    As always, you want to start out least aggressive and see if that gives you the result, and go from there..

Glad you have had experience with black vehicles...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    If he owns an 850 - this is the least of his problems lol
    Amen, brother!

Post Thanks / Like

I would take the job. If it’s just one panel or the whole car, single stage will buff up very well. Just as long as the owner doesn’t accuse you of ruining his paint or some crazy stuff. If your gut tells you not to take the job though, listen to your gut!

Post Thanks / Like

Will be taking it slow with some mild stuff first and work up from there until I get the results. Hopefully I will not see any black on my pads.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’d do a test spot on the troublesome panel and an original panel, then I would consider taking the job or not, and also consider his desires and expectaitions.
    Likes Stokdgs, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This reminds me of my pal Bob (he of the MKII Jag), who had a Porsche (some silly-valuable model of 3.6 Turbo) with some panels reshot in ss. I politely refused to detail it..."not for anything on this planet, period". And he was basically just after a "wash and wax" by Autopian Standards. The car just had "FAIL" written all over it IMO. And when [somebody else] did do it...well, it`s sold now.
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Thread Information