Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It`s 2018 - Whos Steaming

hi SD. Going back to my statement about it`s not the machines, but the operator. I watched how they steamed out this guys interior. They literally steam blasted the entire rear seats (right off the head direct) and then wiped it down.No towel on nothing on the head to dial the pressure back. Bear in mind, maybe the pressure was less and more volume --- this was a big honking hose/head setup. I could NEVER see myself doing that on a leather seat. IME, very subtle and localized damage if you get it in the right spot, but steaming for me sometimes does weird unexpected things...but as we detailers, we sorta have a more particular eye, vs. the consumer who may think no-indifference even if there was a ~localized~ steam iffy spot

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs how long have you had your VX5000? I looked at those for awhile but ended up going with a Vapor Rino because it had the steam extraction option. But I’ve recently been thinking of getting a VX5000 as a backup.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Vanq. Its a solid machine. that was my 1st steamer. However, once you have experienced *direct injection*, you would not want one without IMO

Post Thanks / Like

I too (still) very seldom use steam when detailing, usually just as a quickie way of cleaning pedals during the winter (when they need done almost daily). I do use it around the house though, so that Daimer 1500C really was worth the money to me.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish View Post
    Stokdgs how long have you had your VX5000? I looked at those for awhile but ended up going with a Vapor Rino because it had the steam extraction option. But I’ve recently been thinking of getting a VX5000 as a backup.
    Vanquish ---
    Hope this is a great day for you and yours !
    I have had my VX5000 since August 3, 2010..
    It is a smaller machine, easy to put into a cart and go around a vehicle cleaning the Interior..
    This is how I have used mine all this time..
    It has never broken down or had any issues..
    Glad you have another machine with the steam extraction option..
    I bought a Mytee HP60 Extractor for that part..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I have a steamer and rarely fire it up. When I do it’s a great tool.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m using the McCulloch MC1375. It has served me well for the last three years. I had the model just below that for about seven years before it finally started to act funny. I used a coupon from Kohl`s and got this other one. I couldn`t be happier with it and I didn`t have to spend hundreds of dollars like some of you have done in order to achieve similar or same results. I don`t use a lot of chemical inside the car. Cloth seats and carpet, I tend to stick with Folex, or Stoner`s carpet & upholstery cleaner. Neither one of those has a lot of soap that I need to extract out of the carpet. I have a variety of attachments that I can use with the steamer as well. I have a Bissell Garage Pro that I have been using for the last two years and it`s probably one of the best vacuums I`ve ever used. I have used a number of extractors in the past. And I could never get one that didn`t leave a bunch of dampness in the carpet when I was done. So now I just stick with what I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2127440`]Steam is also terrific for engine compartment cleaning -- works great on greasy bits and doesn`t get water everywhere, which helps avoid potential electrical problems.

I`ve used steam from my VX5000 on carpet mats to dissolve chewing gum and tar stains, but for general carpet mat cleaning a inexpensive Bissel Little Green Machine extractor works better.
    Best product I have ever come across to clean chewing gum and tar out of fabrics is carpet seam adhesive remover. I had to use this on my mint 1990 GT
    a few years back when my nephew rode to a ball game with us. He had a big was of Big Red chewing gum in his mouth. He did not tell us until we got home that it had fell out of his mouth and he smeared it all over the back seat. I like to have died. I remember we had used the above to clean grease out of carpet at work when a trucker tracked up the carpet with grease on his shoes. You use a white rag and put some of it on it and rub the gum. Keep using a new section of white rag and it will remove it. My GT`s back seat still looks brand new. It was a life saver. Just another one of life`s hacks.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs:
    I am curious as to once the "discontinued" Meg`s Detailer Line D103 APC+ you have on hand in gone, what will you replace it with?
    Have you thought about the new Megs Detailer Line replacement, D107 Citrus Power Cleaner Plus?

Maybe you should PM Poorboy`s World, and ask if they have any of their beta-formula Extractor Carpet Cleaner that will not be marketed and ask for a sample of that.
    GB detailer
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Stokdgs:
    I am curious as to once the "discontinued" Meg`s Detailer Line D103 APC+ you have on hand in gone, what will you replace it with?
    Have you thought about the new Megs Detailer Line replacement, D107 Citrus Power Cleaner Plus?

Maybe you should PM Poorboy`s World, and ask if they have any of their beta-formula Extractor Carpet Cleaner that will not be marketed and ask for a sample of that.
    Hello, Lonnie !
    Hope its all good for you and yours !

I have already purchased the new Meguiars D107 Citrus Power Cleaner Plus in the Gallon Size and will be putting it into rotation later..
    I believe it will be a good replacement for D103 APC+, my all around favorite cleaner for so many things, ever...
    Thanks for the tip at PoorBoy`s World - will check it out..
    If this beta-formula product has to be used in the Water Tank of my HP60, I will probably pass on that process..

My extractor has gone so many years now with absolutely no problems, because I have only run water through the pumps, never any cleaner..

I believe I read on the back of the gallon jug of Meguiars D107 where it says, that running their product through the Extractor pumps will shorten the pumps life and it is not a good idea to do that..

My process of spraying the cleaner on carpets and especially on stains, and brushing it in, then hitting it with a little steam and immediately key in hot water from the extractor and extract it all out has always worked great. The high water lift of the HP60 helps me to never have damp carpets to deal with.

That`s another reason that I always wash the exterior, engine, compartment, first, then master blast dry everything, just washed, then immediately do the Interior completely, so the rest of the time it will be drying anywhere that needs more of it...

Leave the hood up so all the water will drain down and out from the underside, if outside, the sun and air will help dry it in those little tiny places faster, etc..
    Dan F
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Hello, Lonnie !
    Hope its all good for you and yours !

I have already purchased the new Meguiars D107 Citrus Power Cleaner Plus in the Gallon Size and will be putting it into rotation later..
    I believe it will be a good replacement for D103 APC+, my all around favorite cleaner for so many things, ever...
    Thanks for the tip at PoorBoy`s World - will check it out..
    If this beta-formula product has to be used in the Water Tank of my HP60, I will probably pass on that process..

My extractor has gone so many years now with absolutely no problems, because I have only run water through the pumps, never any cleaner..

I believe I read on the back of the gallon jug of Meguiars D107 where it says, that running their product through the Extractor pumps will shorten the pumps life and it is not a good idea to do that..

My process of spraying the cleaner on carpets and especially on stains, and brushing it in, then hitting it with a little steam and immediately key in hot water from the extractor and extract it all out has always worked great. The high water lift of the HP60 helps me to never have damp carpets to deal with.

That`s another reason that I always wash the exterior, engine, compartment, first, then master blast dry everything, just washed, then immediately do the Interior completely, so the rest of the time it will be drying anywhere that needs more of it...

Leave the hood up so all the water will drain down and out from the underside, if outside, the sun and air will help dry it in those little tiny places faster, etc..
    Dan F
    Ah, yes, the sequential processes of detailing. I usually do the outside exterior first and THEN the inside interior, starting with carpets and floor mats. Since I do not have an extractor, I need to let the carpets and carpeted floor mats air dry by natural evaporation. That is not a problem in the summer when it`s sunny and warm. The problem is late spring or early fall when it`s col and damp (and here are plenty of days like that in Wisconsin weather). I can afford to usually work around the weather for detailing, but not always. So sometimes the box window fan comes out to get some air movement and dry the carpets out. Yes, its kind of a "Redneck" way of doing things, but it does help. My other "Redneck" approach to cleaning salt-encrusted carpet floor mats (and I see a lot of that in Wisconsin!) is to take a small 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water in a quart-size Pyrex mixing/measuring bowl and heat it up in the microwave for about 4 minutes where it is not quite boiling, but it is plenty hot enough to dissolve the encrusted salt, and using a stiff brush white wearing rubber gloves, scrub out the salt. I then do the traditional had-cleaning of the carpet and "extract" with an absorbent microfiber. If it is warm enough, I will take the garden hose to the carpeted mats to rinse them and just hang them on the clothes-line to drip-dry (gravity is a wonderful drying aid). The vinegar smell pretty much dissipates with this method. If I cannot rinse them with the hose, well, cleaner floor mats that no longer have concrete-hard salt is worth the trade-off for a few days of vinegar smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxManRonnie View Post
    ... I have a Bissell Garage Pro that I have been using for the last two years and it`s probably one of the best vacuums I`ve ever used. ...
    Do I see correctly that you don’t have to take any action with that vacuum to switch between vacuuming wet/dry? If so, that’s a pretty cool feature. I’m used to shop vacs where they want you to pull the filter before sucking water.

Although, I can’t rmember the last time I RTFM, so I may be working off of outdated info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Do I see correctly that you don’t have to take any action with that vacuum to switch between vacuuming wet/dry? If so, that’s a pretty cool feature. I’m used to shop vacs where they want you to pull the filter before sucking water.

Although, I can’t rmember the last time I RTFM, so I may be working off of outdated info.
    That’s correct.
    I really like it and the longer vacuum hose is awesome!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys. It’s been busy at the shop and I haven’t had time to reply.

Does the VX5000 have chemical injection? And what is it’s operating pressure?
    Ive been leaning pretty heavily towards on of the new Fortador steamers. But $13k is a lot to put down on a steamer. But I’ve been wanting a VX5000 for smaller jobs so I don’t have to pull out the Rino or Fortador for 5 minuets of steam cleaning.

Stokdgs thanks for the reply. The steam extraction is not great on its own. But when it’s paired with a carpet extractor. It can’t be beat. I will use a regular extractor as normal. Then go over it with the steam extraction. The regular extractor will bring the dirt that’s deep in the carpet to the surface. Then the steam extraction breaks it down and extracts it. It also gets rid of any remaining carpet shampoo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish View Post
    Ive been leaning pretty heavily towards on of the new Fortador steamers. But $13k is a lot to put down on a steamer..
    Yikes! I`m no cheapskate, but that`s pricey! What`s the cost-recovery time for an investment like that?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information