Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It`s 2018 - Whos Steaming

UPW (Ultra Pure Water) is different from Distilled Water.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2127597`]UPW (Ultra Pure Water) is different from Distilled Water.
    Yes ultra pure water is level one, distilled is level two. Distilled water still has the same behavior of readily absorbing co2, and turning it into carbonic acid. Distilled water can range anywhere in ph from something like 5.4 to 7.

Edit: also keep in mind ph is measurement of strength, but not a measurement of capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

;2127597`]UPW (Ultra Pure Water) is different from Distilled Water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Yes ultra pure water is level one, distilled is level two. Distilled water still has the same behavior of readily absorbing co2, and turning it into carbonic acid. Distilled water can range anywhere in ph from something like 5.4 to 7.
    You know, that`s all fine...but my button is bigger.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You know, that`s all fine...but my button is bigger.

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`m enjoying the schooling by those of you who paid attention in your Chem classes

Speaking in the practical sense, any up/down sides to using Deionized water in the steamer? I`ve seldom bothered doing it but am curious. (I`ll probably just keep putting tap water in mine..)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m enjoying the schooling by those of you who paid attention in your Chem classes

Speaking in the practical sense, any up/down sides to using Deionized water in the steamer? I`ve seldom bothered doing it but am curious. (I`ll probably just keep putting tap water in mine..)
    My understanding with steamers is you can get more (spitting) with distilled water. How true this is I have no idea. Some irons, steam mops, clothes steamers, etc say only tap water. While some others say only distilled water.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who thinks that using distilled water is analogous to pouring carbonic acid into their steamer is nuts. The pH level of distilled water in normal use is fine and doesn`t present a corrosion hazard.

Distilled water doesn`t become acidic until it has saturated with CO2, which it can`t if you open a container of distilled water, pour it into the steamer, and then pressurize the steamer. Also, the pressure vessels are made from stainless steel, which is corrosion-resistant.

Post Thanks / Like

;2127673`] Also, the pressure vessels are made from stainless steel, which is corrosion-resistant.
    How many different types of stainless steel are there?

Post Thanks / Like

Many. But they have a number of properties in common, one of them being their resistance to corrosion.

Post Thanks / Like

How many different types of stainless steel are there?
    Lots and beyond that about the only thing I know is the 304 is typically the choice for high end exhaust systems while 409 is often what you find in the market and 440 is commonly found in knife blades. In other words I know nothing.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Lots and beyond that about the only thing I know is the 304 is typically the choice for high end exhaust systems while 409 is often what you find in the market and 440 is commonly found in knife blades. In other words I know nothing.
    Well, you`ve mentioned an austenitic and a couple of martensitic stainless steels, but I guess they all have the same corrosion resistance so it doesn`t matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you`ve mentioned an austenitic and a couple of martensitic stainless steels, but I guess they all have the same corrosion resistance so it doesn`t matter.
    Thought 304 had a higher chromium content and resisted corrosion a little better. As I said, I really don’t know anything but I think I’d been told 304 was a better choice for cold, wet and salty conditions. Admittedly I don’t know but I suspect you have something you’d like to share.

I looked at the Wiki page and it looks like there are 5 basic types with a bunch of “sub” types? It made me no smarter than I was before. This should be the perfect segue...
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody said they all have the same resistance to corrosion. But none of them have anything to worry about from coming into contact with distilled water.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it`s okay if I bump my thread 6 months later.
    Checked out a new carwash place that opened up. Somewhat nicer....mytees, rupes, ceramicpro etc. It`s not the machines that count...but they offer wax and detailing ontop of the handwash (which most place do, but this seems to be at least a slighter higher level of polishing/sealing -- and or at least the equipment suggests) Even scangrip lights on tripods in their detail area

Anyhow, they got this big high volumer steamer. Hose looks to be like 1 1/4-1 1/2 inch diameter for the *vapor steam package*.

Eh, maybe it`s just me. Like I probably have said many times, even my my dupray, steam is just not for me.
    I will say for a professional detailer, I can see how it can emulsify and help with the cleaning process.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back, Mobiledynamics !

I still like to use the VX5000 big triangular brush with a white towel over it (the bristles are short), to steam carpeting that I just sprayed with Meguiars APC+ and brushed in a little,
    then get that hot pressurized steam down into the carpet, and immediately hit it with the HP60, with just a little hot water injection..
    I get really clean, clean, carpets, and at the end, a 3-gallon recovery tank of black water...
    Clients love starting all over again to accidently spill their Venti Starbucks Latte`s..
    Dan F

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information