Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It`s 2018 - Whos Steaming

I guess I differ here with the steamer. I use it for the entire interior. I have a Diamer 1000cvp and it’s my must have tool. How does the injection work with the Dupray you have? I have no issues with recovery time as the injection comes from a dedicated tank and is injected into the stream, not thru the boiler. So it has no effect on the output from the boiler. That being said, I fill the injection tank with APC and steam clean every surface of the interior, injecting APC as needed. A also use a soft Detail brush to agitate areas when needed then wipe with a clean microfiber. Makes super quick work of interior surfaces. I literally don’t think I could work without a steamer with detergent injection.

I do also use it for carpets and upholstery. I pre spray with my cleaner of choice, swell for 5-10 minutes, scrub with the steamer and brush attachments, then extract with my Mytee HP60.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Injection on the Dupray comes with a dedicated tank, but in my application, I`m not really using chems.
    Injection for me is me just using pure hot water that is being forced out of the gun at High Pressure. It`s more for my application a pencil profile hot water pressure washer.

Interesting read on how ya`ll use the steamer/Mytee on carpet. In my world, that upholstery wand is my go to - but I guess similar approach and that you are using the steamer to minimize how much liquid you are using on the fibers

BTW, Dupray want`s tap water in their machines. Not distilled. I suppose their philisophy is that at higher temps it`s corrosive ?

Post Thanks / Like

I originally used the injection the same way, just a blast of hot water, however eventually tried throwing some APC in it instead and haven’t gone back. It’s incredibly effective being able to hit surfaces with super heated APC instead of just water. When you would normally need to allow some dwell time to let your APC work, having it heated makes it work almost instantly. Took me almost a year to discover this but it COMPLETELY changed how I did interiors.

As for the carpet and upholstery, scrubbing with the steamer is just a way to help break up the stains/dirt using the heat from the steam, then simply extracting the loosened dirt. My extractor is only ever filled with clean water and is used strictly to pickup the dirt and rinse any chemicals out. I don’t really ask it to do anything more. I let the cleaner and steamer do all the hard work
    shanesautodetail.com
    Likes Stokdgs, PRND[S] liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t say enough how much the detergent injection has helped my process. Everything is at my fingertips. I can blow out cracks/crevices, steam by itself cleans really well, push of a button I can hit nasty stuff with cleaner (no fumbling with a spray bottle), use a Detail brush as needed then wipe with a microfiber as I allow the steam to help “rinse” the surface. It was truly a game changer for me
    shanesautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I try to minimize scrubbing as I`ve very sensative to micro textural changes - if this is a word ?
    I let the chems do the work
    Don`t get me started on textural changes......you would laugh on my process flow when I clean the steering wheel ;-)

jondon.com - chems are my best friend for carpets/upholstery. And some of this stuff is INSANELY economical. 1:32
    dilution

While I may not use my steamer much in the autoworld, I see for the trade@ hand Shane, how the heat, the shot of APC, etc may be required in your craft. I get it now. Eh, I mainly user water as my interior product. Cockpit for upfront but that`s just because it leaves a light scent and a very smigen amount of pop to the finish surface. The most is maybe some 10:1 for the door scuffs and all.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobiledynamics ---

""jondon.com - chems are my best friend for carpets/upholstery. And some of this stuff is INSANELY economical. 1:32
    dilution""

Yes !!! Got on their website 13 years ago - great information and products..

Once when I had to completely remove a couple years of really bad mold that had been growing in the entire interior of a dang big Ford Explorer, I used their fungus and mold killer and another product that prevented it from coming back,, And a lot Osha grade masks...
    Dang thing nearly killed me anyway..

I looked very carefully at a full on Demo of your Sapphire tool at steambrite.com; a bunch of really nice Texas boys who sell all the products I use and more..
    Looks great ! Thanks again for the reminder !
    Dan F
    Likes mobiledynamics liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    BTW, Dupray want`s tap water in their machines. Not distilled. I suppose their philisophy is that at higher temps it`s corrosive ?
    Distilled water is no more corrosive than tap water. However, it is less conductive due to the lack of impurities, which can mess with water level sensors -- I suspect that is the reason Dupray doesn`t want you using it.

I only use distilled water in my VX5000 and haven`t had any issues with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    Distilled water is no more corrosive than tap water.
    Not true, especially at higher temperatures, as mobiledynamics postulated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

Once when I had to completely remove a couple years of really bad mold that had been growing in the entire interior of a dang big Ford Explorer, I used their fungus and mold killer and another product that prevented it from coming back,, And a lot Osha grade masks...
    Dang thing nearly killed me anyway..
    Crazy story but you know how there is this eco-green movement. After Hurricane Sandy, I had a couple of bidders come out for work. One of the GC`s looked at my setup ( I had already cut lower 4 feet sheetrock everywhere), and started going on this tangent story. You know , in India, etc, there is fungus and mold everywhere. Their bodies get accustomed to me. And then he told me he was recommending to not do a thing for the renov I was proposing. Here I was with greenback in hand, in the literally sense and he did not want to make money !

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, my Daimer 1500C is still OK despite, uhm...pretty egregious neglect

Tap water, seldom drain it out (and you should see the mineral deposits when I do), bad bad bad Accumulator. Still works fine though.

One of these days I`ll put something in the chemical tank and see how it goes, just never seem to run into anything that the steam alone won`t handle. Eh, light-duty application where that unit is borderline overkill I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Not true, especially at higher temperatures, as mobiledynamics postulated.
    No, it is the other way around -- distilled water is less corrosive than tap water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2127581`]No, it is the other way around -- distilled water is less corrosive than tap water.
    No, it`s not. But you can have it your way.

Post Thanks / Like

1) UPW (ultrapure water) is not caustic. Conversely, in it`s purest form it because acidic when exposed to atmosphere because it readily absorbs CO2, which converts to carbonic acid. However, by default, UPW can only have a pH of 7 (again when not exposed to air). So proper pH measurement can only be done inline or with proper buffers. We actually wrote a paper on this topic because researchers were always complaining that their water was acidic.
    2) UPW will corrode iron, brass, poor quality steel. However, it will not corrode stainless steel as long as the welds are proper, even then hard to make SS conducive to corrosion by UPW. Example, resistivity meters that we use are made from SS (need to be to conduct electricity across 2 metal probes to get a reading).
    3) UPW will not corrode Pyrex . After all, HPLC and LCMS grade water (not going to define so look it up) is placed in glass containers. Distilled water is even made in glass stills for laboratory use. Having said this, it will leach some silica and boron, so they actually should use special glass. But it won`t corrode it. I had a bottle of LCMS grade water sitting in the lab for years. Also, exotic plastics don`t need to be used, such as PFA, PVDF, Halar, etc. The possible exception is in a fab of a semiconductor plant. We use polypropylene, PEX (cross-linked polyethylene), and even PVC (but not ideal because in some cases the glue can leach TOC`s - total organic/oxidizeable carbon that are undesireable, for example in a waste water treatment plant.).
    4) the comment that "pure water is less corrosive than water with impurities", is not completely true. Put a brass or iron bolt in distilled water and see what happens compared to tap water. Also, power plants don`t use UPW because tap water is more corrosive. All steam powered plants (coal, gas, nuclear, etc.) use UPW, because residuals will form on the turbine blades and throw them off balance and destroy them. Also, impurities from the water will leave residue on the evaporators in the cooling towers and render them useless. One can`t compare the corrosiveness of tap water and UPW. I`ve seen very corrosive tap water (classic example is the city water issue in Flint, MI. The water is corroding the pipes and leach lead into the water because it contains chlorates). UPW can be corrosive to other metals because it forms carbonic acid when exposed to air. etc......
    By definition, ultrapure water is defined as ~17.0-18Meg-ohm or type I water. Meaning does not contain dissolved ions to conduct electricity. In theory, if you throw your TV into a tub full of UPW it won`t short out. If swimming in a lake of UPW and lightening hits the water you won`t be electrocuted, because it contains no ions to conduct electricity. The theoretical limit for UPW is ~18.26 Meg-ohm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    1) UPW (ultrapure water) is not caustic. Conversely, in it`s purest form it because acidic when exposed to atmosphere because it readily absorbs CO2, which converts to carbonic acid. However, by default, UPW can only have a pH of 7 (again when not exposed to air). So proper pH measurement can only be done inline or with proper buffers. We actually wrote a paper on this topic because researchers were always complaining that their water was acidic.
    I don`t know if that is you speaking or if you cut and pasted that, but I guess it depends on who does the research and what the end use is. There are definitely applications (heated tanks) where higher grades of stainless are specified for DI water vs. tap. Also if your intent is to not contaminate the water, you will need higher grades (more corrosion resistant) because the "pure" water will want to combine with things more readily, so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don`t know if that is you speaking or if you cut and pasted that, but I guess it depends on who does the research and what the end use is. There are definitely applications (heated tanks) where higher grades of stainless are specified for DI water vs. tap. Also if your intent is to not contaminate the water, you will need higher grades (more corrosion resistant) because the "pure" water will want to combine with things more readily, so to speak.
    Yes, because if upw is exposed to air it will readily absorb co2. Then it becomes more acidic. This then is more corrosive to certain materials. Tap water can also be more corrosive than upw. It all depends on what material you are talking about, and the circumstances. Fact is your both right, and both wrong. There`s no absolute answer unless you fill in all the circumstances involved.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information