Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What`s with the short pressure washer setup

Over at a Utubers site and another auto detailing vendor, there seems to be a movement for a short pressure washer handle setup.

My current rig is pressure washer gun, 18 inch (I think ) flexible extension and then whatever tip I use.
    When I foam the car, yes, I plug the cannon directly onto the gun, just due to weight and balance.

Even at 18 inches, it`s plenty close for me, as I tend to get close to the paint with the nozzle, and more often than not, depending on the position I am standing in, I will use the flex portion of the extension to tweak the angle I am spraying.

Unless you are working in a corridor of tight quarters, I don`t see any reason to use a gun with nozzle tip direct. Way too close, and talk about overspray.

For winter washing, on the initial rinse, I`ll even use the longer extension wand as I hate breathing in the salt water....
    What am I missing. Is there a benefit on running your rig super short

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s with the short pressure washer setup

For me it’s just a comfort issue. Could I use the regular wand? Sure. But the bottle being closer to my hand is just more comfortable.
    Likes dontlikemyname, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Correct on the foam lance. I`m referring to the so called short setup being pithched/marketed.

As per the OP, it`s more balanced for a foam cannon. Well, to each its own. I suppose someone with a ford 150, etc might want to use a extension and then the lance in front.

On the pitch for the utuber and auto detailing supplier, it`s it kit they sell - which is nothing new - I suppose for residential grade pressure washer owners that use the built in hose/wand combo, it may, but standard 3/8 pressure wash hookups, etc are all pretty standard .

Post Thanks / Like

I like my shorty setup for foam cannon and for the door jambs and engine. So i just end up using it short for the rinse phase of a wash too. I dunno whats so wrong with a short set up?
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

The obvious ;-) Overspray.

Post Thanks / Like

The rather long wand on my AR makes it poorly suited to the undercarriage even though I`m usually working with plenty of room (jacking up sedans, high clearance under the Tahoe), so I can see a big benefit for that specific area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Over at a Utubers site and another auto detailing vendor, there seems to be a movement for a short pressure washer handle setup.

My current rig is pressure washer gun, 18 inch (I think ) flexible extension and then whatever tip I use.
    When I foam the car, yes, I plug the cannon directly onto the gun, just due to weight and balance.

Even at 18 inches, it`s plenty close for me, as I tend to get close to the paint with the nozzle, and more often than not, depending on the position I am standing in, I will use the flex portion of the extension to tweak the angle I am spraying.

Unless you are working in a corridor of tight quarters, I don`t see any reason to use a gun with nozzle tip direct. Way too close, and talk about overspray.

For winter washing, on the initial rinse, I`ll even use the longer extension wand as I hate breathing in the salt water....
    What am I missing. Is there a benefit on running your rig super short
    You say a flexible lance ? Not the MTM one ?
    Flexible.

This 18" rigid one

Post Thanks / Like

I had a flex nozzle for my Karchers (still have it somewhere, but no more Karchers..) and it was really handy! Wish I could find one for my AR..

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed Mary. The flex is my go to.
    I will do straight off the gun for the lance or door jambs

Primary - Is flex, similar to how Mary has posted.
    Secondary is a 8 inch that is pure flex to shape- I use that for undarriage. I bend it to a big U and get the under the sills/WW.
    Third - various length lances. I rarely use anything longer than the flex, except for a 16 incher for wheel cleaning duties and I want to be a bit more further back

Edit - Correction.
    I will use the opt for the 24+ inch lance for the rinse on a salty car. A bit more distance but breathing in that overspray is like taking a deep dive at the beach.
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The rather long wand on my AR makes it poorly suited to the undercarriage even though I`m usually working with plenty of room (jacking up sedans, high clearance under the Tahoe), so I can see a big benefit for that specific area.
    The flex nozzle - you should be able to find at your local supply shop or online, aka, like the one in Mary`s pic.
    Standard 3/8 disconnects and couplers.

https://suttner.com/products/lances/

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- Thanks for that link. I figure that yeah, I oughta be able to adapt most anything to my ARs if I figure out just how to do it, haven`t invested the time/effort though The Karchers and the AR are sure different, but that`s all I`ve figured out so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll have to watch said utuber video/link to the eshop and or a reputable detailer/vendor as well just to confirm my POV.

I just recall seeing the video and then the convenient trigger setup on the ecommerce site and I just said to myself, what is all this marketing nonsense. This is not new. A gun and nozzle is standard in a pressure washer setup ! The only denominating factor I felt, was like it was a upsell, for many who have a residential setup that has a hose with a M22 threaded collar gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator -

My *ultimate* setup = flex lance, ceramic tips - 15 degrees and 25, both on Quick Disconnects with Rubber Hoody Shrouds.
    Heh, I know you`re a dog guy. The rubber hoody shrouds look like the head protective collar rings for dogs, but it`s for nozzle tips.

Post Thanks / Like

My pressure washer wand is about 18" long as well and has the flexible attachment and quick connects. I find it the perfect length but it`s really a user preference thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky -

If you decide to upgrade to a longer hose if you find it not long enough, I say skip the M22 and go with standard 3/8 disconnects/coupers
    That`s a stock 25-35 footer ?

50 seems to be the sweet spot ?. Long enough to not need to move the machine as you work around all 4 corners of the car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information