Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Stuff I Was Wrong About, 2017

There have been countless instances when I`ve been wrong on these forums, but specific to the Detailing I do, and in no particular order:

- "I have no use for a RW that leaves nothing behind."

That will be exactly what I *do* need for some jobs on the Jag, and probably other cars too.

- "I have no use for an IUDJ variant with a longer-lasting LSP element."

About an hour after I posted that, I thought about jambs/wells/underneath/etc.

- "BHBs and RW are incompatible."

I only use that combo for certain jobs on certain areas, and I`m generous with the RW when I do it.

- I believed the conventional wisdom that it`s necessary to drain a CRS deionizer if it`ll sit unused for an extended period.

I left mine full of water for months and the output was still fine; it`s still producing water that tests to straight zeros with resin that`s well over a year old.

- "I have no need for/interest in the various bucket inserts."

After trying the Grit Guard, Washboard, and Cyclone inserts, I find them beneficial in certain buckets.

- "After using them for so many years, I prefer the female half of a plastic quick-connect set over any conventional hose nozzle".

Since replacing my old rubber bend-to-flow nozzles with an assortment of new ones from Lonn, I`m using those much of the time. I use the Fan Spray model the most, didn`t expect that either.

- "LED flashlights don`t work well for me with regard to seeing very light marring."

My little Malkoff-converted Surefire E1 exposed something I thought I`d need the SunGun to see.

Gotta be some more, but that`s what I can think of at present. Qs and comments welcome, and I`m curious what others have reconsidered over the past year.
    Likes Bunky, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Stuff I Was Wrong About, 2017

Always thought brightest light and screaming white walls was the way to go, until painting the shop dark and using the right color led lights. An amazing difference!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Meguiars compounds were the only way to go with all that water spray and mixing a little of this and that , until we went all Griot’s. No mess no fuss!
    Likes broker99 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless washing in general. I was skeptical but ive come to depend on them being in an aprtment with no hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike lambert- You`ve certainly caught my attention with regard to the GG abrasives! If I ever use up my M101/etc. you can guess what I`ll try out.

The wall color is, IMO, gonna vary depending on what people are doing most often and individual diffs related to vision. I sure can see your setup being great for doing correction. Heh heh, that was a bit of a gamble, huh? Depending on the shop, picking the wrong color could be a bit of a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator:

I love my Surefire Executive E2e, but it is a Xenon bulb and only has 60 lumens. I should buy a Malkoff conversation. I have a Malkoff P7 LED conversion for a D2 Maglite. I think my Malkoff was a prototype. That thing is a beast. I haven’t used that light in 8 years. My current EDC light is a Fenix E12 that cost $25. I run the Fenix on Eneloops and it has been very reliable. 130 lumens out of the Fenix works well for isolated swirl illuminating, but only in low light conditions

Post Thanks / Like

LEDetailing- Best thing about my SureFires is that they`re reliable...well, that and that I`m used to them, so no fumbling.

That converted Maglite sounds good, I oughta do that to some of mine but eh, so many flashlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    LEDetailing- Best thing about my SureFires is that they`re reliable...well, that and that I`m used to them, so no fumbling.

That converted Maglite sounds good, I oughta do that to some of mine but eh, so many flashlights
    I layed off the flashlight purchases for the last few years. I think at last count I had 5-6 SF’s. I carry a SF fury at work along with a Streamlight Stinger LED HL. I cannot believe how powerful and efficient LED’s have gotten in the last few years.

<<one of the reasons I chose my screen name
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    I layed off the flashlight purchases for the last few years. I think at last count I had 5-6 SF’s...
    Same here, and we should`ve quit earlier Though our last purchases were the Tomahawks that we use *all the time*, bet my wife uses hers every day.
    I cannot believe how powerful and efficient LED’s have gotten in the last few years.
    Yes, indeed! Wonder what a conversion of my M4 would be like...that light was the [stuff] back when I got it, but man is it huge.

<<one of the reasons I chose my screen name
    Hey, cool! Glad to know that

Gee, we haven`t had a Flashlight thread for a while...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Always thought brightest light and screaming white walls was the way to go, until painting the shop dark and using the right color led lights. An amazing difference!
    What color LED`s and walls. I`ve got to paint my walls soon and was planning on white...

Post Thanks / Like

I went with dark grey, although the European and Asian preference is black.all my led lights have a CRI of at least 85, and 5000K. I use the scangrip for focused lighting during correction as it is variable for both lite and dark color. I’ll see if I can post some shop pictures.
    Likes 01GreyStangGT, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks DaveT435 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I went with dark grey, although the European and Asian preference is black.all my led lights have a CRI of at least 85, and 5000K. I use the scangrip for focused lighting during correction as it is variable for both lite and dark color. I’ll see if I can post some shop pictures.
    Thanks. Sounds interesting. I don`t think I would go black either, gray would go well with the house, I may do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Stuff I Was Wrong About, 2017

HA! Since Accumulator started this thread. I thought I was going to read, FK1000P.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks great. It looks like you`ve got several different types of lighting. I would think that`s helpful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information