Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Stuff I Was Wrong About, 2017

Here I am reading a four year-old post, thinking how much has changed detailing-wise since then. The synopsis or better know as "that`s your opinion,Captain Obvious":
    1) Coatings save correction time and the life-expectancy of a now very thin new vehicle OEM paint. Yes, it takes time and money up front to prep for and apply the coating and down the road to maintain it. But as my Dad said, "If you want to run with the big dogs, you gotta PAY like the big dogs".
    2a) The "Fake" coating SiO2 sprays have made real coatings look, well, expensive. Hey, if I can still tell what time it is with my $50 Casio G-Shock versus your $10,000 Rolex or Patek Philippe, why pay more. (THAT makes about as much sense as saying a Honda Civic gets you to work as good as a Porsche 911 GT3!!! Maybe so, but I ain`t worried about having someone run into it or maintaining it.)
    2b) Vehicle owners who don`t coat their vehicle are probably also anti-COVID vaxers. They just don`t get it until their ultra-thin clear-coat fails down the road and now they want a new vehicle to replace it, but there are no new vehicles because of all the COVID-related supply issues and they are the human host for the next COVID variant that will perpetuate this COVID-related supply issues, all because they did not coat and protect their vehicle. (Very subtle cause-and-effect observation, Captain Obvious. So which coating do YOU have on your vehicle: The Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson-&-Johnson??)
    3) Griots Garage reluctance to bring a GR6 full-size rotary to market to compliment their recently introduced GR3 mini-rotary tells me:
    A) The detailing individual that this buffer MIGHT appeal to is not there in the market numbers to do so (IE; actual buyers)
    b) The market is being affected by COVID supply issues, all because vehicle owners are not coating their vehicles AND getting the vaccination.
    C) The G9 dual action intermediate-throw buffer is selling like hot-cakes anyway
    D) Long-time industry-standard Mikita and DeWalt rotaries, along with new rotaries from both Flex and Rupe`s, are too much competition.
    GB detailer
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Here I am reading a four year-old post, thinking how much has changed detailing-wise since then...
    Well, for some perhaps, but not for *all* of us

.. Vehicle owners who don`t coat their vehicle are probably also anti-COVID vaxers. They just don`t get it until their ultra-thin clear-coat fails down the road..
    Heh heh, not *this* fully vaxxed non-coater who`s still got mils left in his decades-old clear

Heh heh...sorry, sorry, just teasin` and taking advantage of a chance to bust your chops
    Likes CleanIt, TGates liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll add to this list...

"Sure regularly applying toppers will only improve the look of the paint and performance of the underlying coating."

I`ve learnt that they don`t and applied regularly to paint that hasn`t been fully decontaminated (while effortless and fun) is counter productive if you take detailing seriously. Sadly it took burning through hundreds of pounds of Polish Angel and Kamikaze maintenance toppers for the penny to drop. Still a subject that is misunderstood... I`d bet that 90% of coating failures are as a direct result of either undermaintenance or in this case overmaintenance (over use of LSPs which on a sub-par surface fail and lock in contamination.. tell the world about your coating failure (Please import information to this site) then use a tonne of high-pH chemicals trying to `fix` the problem.. only to make it worse).

They are still great products, they just need to be used in the right circumstances and following the right prep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Here I am reading a four year-old post, thinking how much has changed detailing-wise since then. The synopsis or better know as "that`s your opinion,Captain Obvious":
    1) Coatings save correction time and the life-expectancy of a now very thin new vehicle OEM paint. Yes, it takes time and money up front to prep for and apply the coating and down the road to maintain it. But as my Dad said, "If you want to run with the big dogs, you gotta PAY like the big dogs".
    2a) The "Fake" coating SiO2 sprays have made real coatings look, well, expensive. Hey, if I can still tell what time it is with my $50 Casio G-Shock versus your $10,000 Rolex or Patek Philippe, why pay more. (THAT makes about as much sense as saying a Honda Civic gets you to work as good as a Porsche 911 GT3!!! Maybe so, but I ain`t worried about having someone run into it or maintaining it.)
    2b) Vehicle owners who don`t coat their vehicle are probably also anti-COVID vaxers. They just don`t get it until their ultra-thin clear-coat fails down the road and now they want a new vehicle to replace it, but there are no new vehicles because of all the COVID-related supply issues and they are the human host for the next COVID variant that will perpetuate this COVID-related supply issues, all because they did not coat and protect their vehicle. (Very subtle cause-and-effect observation, Captain Obvious. So which coating do YOU have on your vehicle: The Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson-&-Johnson??)
    3) Griots Garage reluctance to bring a GR6 full-size rotary to market to compliment their recently introduced GR3 mini-rotary tells me:
    A) The detailing individual that this buffer MIGHT appeal to is not there in the market numbers to do so (IE; actual buyers)
    b) The market is being affected by COVID supply issues, all because vehicle owners are not coating their vehicles AND getting the vaccination.
    C) The G9 dual action intermediate-throw buffer is selling like hot-cakes anyway
    D) Long-time industry-standard Mikita and DeWalt rotaries, along with new rotaries from both Flex and Rupe`s, are too much competition.
    What I figure is Griots (full size rotary is for the enthusiast and most enthusiasts do not need a full size rotary. Wouldn’t sell enough and damage consumers inflict to own cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information