Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Stuff I Was Wrong About, 2017

Absolutely! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very nice! Where did you get that Griot`s banner?!?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not to sound like an ass but from my Griot’s rep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Not to sound like an ass but from my Griot’s rep.
    Nice, I just haven`t ever seen one like it Detailing Stuff I Was Wrong About, 2017

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

DaveT435- I`d base the color(s) on what`s best for you functionally-speaking. What do you find most challenging, what do you do most often...stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    HA! Since Accumulator started this thread. I thought I was going to read, FK1000P.
    Heh heh, that`ll be the day....although seriously, if I ever do find something I like better I`ll be eager to post about it. Never thought I`d like that FK1000P at all, must`ve sat unused on my shelf for a few years before I gave it a try, long enough to dry out, that`s for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m "old school" and I will admit that there are three things, while not "wrong", are more in the area of "detailer preference", but somewhat debatable and controversial:
    1) Waxes look better and are easier to use than many coatings. ( I prefer Collinite 915)
    2) A quality chamois will out-dry a microfiber waffle weave. (That MAY have been true until the new twisted-microfiber fabric came out AKA, TRC Twisteress and GG PFM Terry Towel)
    3) Rotary buffers finish still better than the newer long-throw polishers. (OK, it DOES depend on the skill level and experience of the operator. I will say this, long-throw polishers have made it easier for the occasional-use hobbyist to achieve "ALMOST" rotary-perfect correction without the learning curve (AKA, experience and practice from years of use, or plain trial-and-error) needed to master a rotary`s "characteristics")

See what I started..... Just like the good ol` days in this Forum!!!

When I saw that that this post was started by Accumulator and it had the wording "I was wrong" in it, I thought that it was oxymoronic!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

- "I have no need for/interest in the various bucket inserts."

After trying the Grit Guard, Washboard, and Cyclone inserts, I find them beneficial in certain buckets.

Funny/interesting thread you started here, Accumulator.

That one I quoted above is one I share with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, IMO, I`m wrong now and then....Heh heh, just like Galileo (specifically thought about the latter`s gravity experiment when I tried some of the stuff I`d previously disregarded, he was certain he "already knew" what seemed obvious to him, but proved himself wrong upon experimentation).

Lonnie- Hey, that was an interesting list, and just as you suspected, my experiences differ from yours on the last two.

I do simply scratch my head about your liking the chamois! I used one as the first "touch-drying stage" for many, MANY years (until MFs came out in the early `90s), generally preferring the one from John Bull. They just never, and I mean *not one time out of what must`ve been thousands* got all the water off. A tiny little bit was always left to evaporate. No such results with my good MF Drying Towels, but I will say that few WWs are in that "good" category and even the ones that are have a finite useful service life.

On the rotaries (oughta sell mine..), I do sometimes wonder whether I`d see anything IRL if I saw more work by genuine RotaryMeisters. I find correction to be a quick and easy process (on the rare occasions that I ever do it these days), so there`s no point in my using `em for that. I`ve seen "hologram-free" rotary work, BY A HIGHLY REGARDED AUTOPIAN PRO no less, that did in fact have (very, *VERY* light) holograms and fixing that was an incredible PIA taking a lot of time, two people, and tightly controlled conditions. And finally, I`ve *never* IRL seen a rotary-done final finish that was better than I can attain with my Cyclos. But that sure doesn`t mean it`s not possible and a glossmeter might see things that I don`t.

JustJesus- I still have no need/use for them in my "regular" wash/rinse buckets, only using them in my buckets for the "nasty areas".

Post Thanks / Like

I work in printing and grey is the color for walls when you are judging color matches and image quality. I never put it in terms of car paint but it makes sense visually when it comes to the color perhaps making it easier to see paint defects and condition of defects while they are being worked on because the reflection in every paint color is neutral to your eye

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Pinnacle Black Label Coating earlier this year. I had high hopes - maybe you could say I was wrong. But, that stuff isn`t worth crap in the real world. Same thing with old Opti Coat 2.0.

I think these coatings hold up forever in labs where manufacturers test them. But, the two coatings I`ve tried ain`t worth a crap exposed to the dirt / salt / snow where I live. Yeah, they bead great on the hood/roof - but the lower panels that get expose to everything are all toast after 10 days in PA snow/salt.

Certain waxes seem to hold up a LITTLE better. But the real benefit is their ease of reapplication and cost per application. You can wax a car in 20 mins for under a dollar. It will look better as well.

I think it`s funny they are selling special primers, water spot removers, soaps, rejuvenators, and top coats for coatings now. I dunno - it just seems like a silly rabbit hole not worth going down. You can just easily apply another coat of Collinite regardless and be good for a long time.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Lonnie, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I
    Certain waxes seem to hold up a LITTLE better. But the real benefit is their ease of reapplication and cost per application. You can wax a car in 20 mins for under a dollar. It will look better as well.

I think it`s funny they are selling special primers, water spot removers, soaps, rejuvenators, and top coats for coatings now. I dunno - it just seems like a silly rabbit hole not worth going down. You can just easily apply another coat of Collinite regardless and be good for a long time.
    This sounds like a marketing scheme: "Just drink the purple Kool-Aid and everything will be alright"
    One of my "resolutions" for 2018 was to try a coating and experience for myself what all the hype is about.
    Now I am beginning to wonder if it is just that: hype.
    Please see recent thread:
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    GB detailer
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Same ...[crappy performance].. with old Opti Coat 2.0...
    Hey, that`s interesting! I still have some of the Opticoat v2.0...gee, might even have some v1.0, oughta look and see...and it`s holding up great on the Tahoe`s wheels after...gee, I dunno, I`d have to check the Detailing Log...over two years easy.

I think it`s funny they are selling special primers, water spot removers, soaps, rejuvenators, and top coats for coatings now. I dunno - it just seems like a silly rabbit hole not worth going down. You can just easily apply another coat of ..[conventional LSP].. regardless and be good for a long time.
    I agree completely. I might be missing something (like "it increases the hardness, so use it just for that"), but it sounds to me like people are still doing as much stuff after applying the coatings as I do with conventional LSPs, if not more. Eh, guess every situation is different, but still...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Hey, that`s interesting! I still have some of the Opticoat v2.0...gee, might even have some v1.0, oughta look and see...and it`s holding up great on the Tahoe`s wheels after...gee, I dunno, I`d have to check the Detailing Log...over two years easy.

I agree completely. I might be missing something (like "it increases the hardness, so use it just for that"), but it sounds to me like people are still doing as much stuff after applying the coatings as I do with conventional LSPs, if not more. Eh, guess every situation is different, but still...
    That’s the ticket - people spending hundreds on special soaps, primers, top coats, coatings, etc.. I gotta lol.

But if I was selling this stuff - I’d be all over touting the benefits

Post Thanks / Like

Some may find this controversial, but I`m starting to question the "all in the family" theory with products.

My polishes and car washes have always been different from the LSP, but I`ve now broken away when it comes to things like car shampoo and QD sprays too.

I have fully jumped into the coating pool, but did it with my eyes upon and understand their limitations. When I first did so, I tried to used shampoo`s and QD sprays from the same vendor where possible. As time went on this year and supplies needed to be replenished, I strayed to other vendors and found that everything worked just fine!

After using three different car shampoos and four different QD sprays I`ve been able to play with some great products and learn about each one. Through it all the coatings kept on performing with little/no change depnding on the product.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information