Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

New Car Detail Complete!

Today I finished my over the top detail of my brand new Carrara White Porsche Macan!

I had a bunch of fun and learned a lot from the process and from this forum, thank-you. Some things I learned....

Bought too many products (wax, soap, MF towels, detailer spray). Spent around 1K in goodies.
    My Griots Garage 3" & 6" DA polisher was easy to use but was a little too safe and didn`t cut the paint like I was expecting. The flip side is I didn`t need much paint correction. I should have spent a little more $ on my polisher.
    I feel it was worth the effort since my local detailer would have charged me over $500 for a new car detail & I don`t think I would have gotten a better result - and maybe worse.
    I do not know as much as I think know about detailing.

Tomorrow I`m having a Suntec PPF installed and a light tint. That`s why the over the top detail.

Every outside surface was detailed - took about 3 days - seriously fun

Here are some pix...

I`m happy to share products I used if that helps you out.

New Car Detail Complete!-3cp3h7g-x2.jpg

New Car Detail Complete!-9bjt95g-x2.jpg

New Car Detail Complete!-lvlclcc-x2.jpg

New Car Detail Complete!-vwgfbnk-x2.jpg

New Car Detail Complete!-stzdn2f-x2.jpg

New Car Detail Complete!-wnkwjlm-x2.jpg

New Car Detail Complete!-7kpgv3d-x2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car Detail Complete!

It looks great!! The 6" Griot`s polisher should have plenty of power. I`ve heard the 3" is a little light on power. The Rupes mini may have been a better option. What kind of compound/polish ans pad combination were you using?? You should have been able to get plenty of cut. Oh...and you can never have too many products, especially microfiber towels lol
    Likes IXLRS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new ride and good job on the detail!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    It looks great!! The 6" Griot`s polisher should have plenty of power. I`ve heard the 3" is a little light on power. The Rupes mini may have been a better option. What kind of compound/polish ans pad combination were you using?? You should have been able to get plenty of cut. Oh...and you can never have too many products, especially microfiber towels lol
    I tired a couple of compounds/polish.

CG All In One followed by the CG White Lighting Glaze (hybrid radiant finish?), then CG Jet Seal, then CG Wet Butter Wax - basically followed there detail flow chart

CG V36 polish followed by CG V38 polish then CG White Lighting Glaze (hybrid radiant finish?), then CG Jet Seal, then CG Wet Butter Wax

I used the standard 6" orange pad for the All In One and the V36, used the black finishing pad for the white lighting and the V38.

Perhaps a Menzerna 400 and SF3500 would give me more cut & different pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Ready to take on the world, nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

Nice ride, awesome work. Congrats!

CG makes some decent products, but there are arguably better options out there (performance, end results, longevity, etc.) Everyone has their favorites; my advice is to find something you like and get comfortable with it and how it behaves in different situations.

Likes IXLRS, dschribs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

IXLRS- That came out nice! I bet it`s a lot nicer than it would`ve turned out had somebody else done it, and this way you *know* what`s been done.

My Griots Garage 3" & 6" DA polisher The flip side is I didn`t need much paint correction... I should have spent a little more $ on my polisher.
    That`s not an uncommon discovery. Leveling/correcting paint is usually tougher than people expect. It`s nice that it didn`t need much correction in the first place, and it sounds like you did *NOT* overdo things and waste clearcoat.

IMO getting that done in 3 days was pretty quick! And I`m really glad you found it fun.

The GG6, especially with smaller pads, *CAN* do some truly significant/aggressive correction, but only if you use the right stuff (and the right technique for the products/pads in question). When I have serious work to do, I reach for a different polisher, but I can do it via that GG6 OK if I fit it with a 3-4" pad.

FWIW, I never liked Menzerna`s compounds/polishes (not a slam, just a personal preference thing), preferring non-diminishing abrasives and ones that work efficiently time-wise. I like M101 or (previous fave) M105, usually on MF cutting disks, for aggressive work and HD Polish, on somewhat firm foam pads, for milder stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Strapping Griot`s two inch backing plate to that 3" polisher really livens it up. Their 3" BOSS line really brings out the true potential of the polisher. Using super light downward pressure and letting it spin is has contributed to me keeping the tool. On the vehicles I use it on, I see no need for another 3" polisher (I really do want the Nano iBrid), but if I was doing more intricate panels I would want the 3" Rupes.

Porsche looks great, and that color is perfect, striking in any light. Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen- Sounds like the current GG3 is a lot more capable than my older model. I do use their 3" pneumatic with good results though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    TheMeanGreen- Sounds like the current GG3 is a lot more capable than my older model. I do use their 3" pneumatic with good results though.

Yeah, I don`t experience the dread that everyone else has seemed to post about it (got mine summer 2015), but it does the job for me. However, if I was running a detailing business and doing a lot of paint work, I would seriously consider the LHR 75E, but for the average joe that doesn`t mind a nice relaxing polishing session, this fits the bill for about $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Nice ride, awesome work. Congrats!

CG makes some decent products, but there are arguably better options out there (performance, end results, longevity, etc.) Everyone has their favorites; my advice is to find something you like and get comfortable with it and how it behaves in different situations.

Yea, I agree with you. After trying out the CG’s stuff I’ll move on to other products to compare with. No complaints so far though. Need to use up what I’ve got before buying more. Detailing can be addicting AND fun.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Strapping Griot`s two inch backing plate to that 3" polisher really livens it up. Their 3" BOSS line really brings out the true potential of the polisher. Using super light downward pressure and letting it spin is has contributed to me keeping the tool. On the vehicles I use it on, I see no need for another 3" polisher (I really do want the Nano iBrid), but if I was doing more intricate panels I would want the 3" Rupes.

Porsche looks great, and that color is perfect, striking in any light. Nice job!
    ill have to try that out. Need to perfect my technique first, then compound, then pads. It was a time saver having both the 6” and 3” plugged in and ready to go so I could easily switch back and fourth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    IXLRS- That came out nice! I bet it`s a lot nicer than it would`ve turned out had somebody else done it, and this way you *know* what`s been done.

That`s not an uncommon discovery. Leveling/correcting paint is usually tougher than people expect. It`s nice that it didn`t need much correction in the first place, and it sounds like you did *NOT* overdo things and waste clearcoat.

IMO getting that done in 3 days was pretty quick! And I`m really glad you found it fun.

The GG6, especially with smaller pads, *CAN* do some truly significant/aggressive correction, but only if you use the right stuff (and the right technique for the products/pads in question). When I have serious work to do, I reach for a different polisher, but I can do it via that GG6 OK if I fit it with a 3-4" pad.

FWIW, I never liked Menzerna`s compounds/polishes (not a slam, just a personal preference thing), preferring non-diminishing abrasives and ones that work efficiently time-wise. I like M101 or (previous fave) M105, usually on MF cutting disks, for aggressive work and HD Polish, on somewhat firm foam pads, for milder stuff.
    Thanks Accumulator! Yea, it was harder than I thought. I’ll work on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IXLRS View Post
    ill have to try that out. Need to perfect my technique first, then compound, then pads. It was a time saver having both the 6” and 3” plugged in and ready to go so I could easily switch back and fourth.
    The 3" is all about technique...... HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen- Yeah, your GG3 is the newer version. My GG (elect.) 3" died after maybe five minutes with KAIO. The replacement hasn`t died yet but it`s simply too weak for correction on my stuff.

Last Christmas Accumulatorette got me that Rupes so I`m finally covered in that dept

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information