Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot how Gritty Winter Can Get

I forgot how Gritty Winter Can Get......until the 1st snowfall...

Paint was clean when I pulled it of the garage today.
    All the snow on the road is evaporated but the airborne salt and stuff in the air, just makes the paint go to bleh....

LOL. Just a reminder of what`s really about to come real soon I suppose
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I forgot how Gritty Winter Can Get

Yeah, I have to shovel the gritty [stuff] out of the trench drain regularly during the winter. The sheer quantity of it is a constant reminder of how how important it is to flush all such stuff away before starting the "touching" portion of the wash.

Post Thanks / Like

About this time each year I start thinking about moving way down south, like Florida. But then I like playing in the woods and water...frickin gators and snakes...

Post Thanks / Like

...and hurricanes.

Post Thanks / Like

which leads to the debate on whether one should touch/wash their car, if they can`t pressure wash the gunk off vs. traditional hose pressure.
    key step to mitigating instillment of marring

LOL. I was just coiling up my HP PW hose thinking, you won`t be using this till the 1st of the year....and then today, I realized how I was sooooooo wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ...and hurricanes.
    I`ll take those over the gators, plenty of warning before they make their way on land. Much better than earthquakes and tornadoes.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we`ve discussed this subject about road de-icers (salt, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride) and their binders (sugar beet juice) and how difficult the film from the binder is to remove with touch-less tunnel car washes. I know that there are some tunnel-wash chemicals developed in Europe specifically for this road traffic film (RTF), BUT they do not meet EPA specs for the USA, so they cannot be imported.
    SO, I guess it`s a rinse-less wash via a wash medium that physically touches the paint to remove the road film AFTER going through a touch-less tunnel wash. This might be kind of hard to do when ambient temperatures are 20°F or colder when you do not have a heated garage or service area.

You know it`s Winter in Wisconsin when all the vehicles driven in this weather, regardless of color, turn "Ermine White".

(OK, I need to explain this term "Ermine White" The ermine is a small northern North American weasel whose brown and black fur coat turns pure white in the winter to provide a natural camouflage for their rodent hunting in the winter and protects them from winter predators like hawks, eagles, and owls. It reverts back to its brown and black fur colors in warmer weather).
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Heh. If Ron has enough room, maybe we can be `florida snowbirds till the warm weather comes back full circle
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

winter is pure evil!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    winter is pure evil!
    Amen!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I`ll take [hurricanes] over the gators, plenty of warning before they make their way on land...
    Eh, you can`t just shoot a hurricane.

.. Much better than earthquakes and tornadoes.
    OK, I`ll grant you that Even though IMO it`s kinda splitting hairs- Mother Nature is something I don`t want to mess with...She just doesn`t care, no stopping her when she`s [angry] whatever form that anger takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie
    I think we`ve discussed this subject about road de-icers (salt, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride) and their binders (sugar beet juice) and how difficult the film from the binder is to remove with touch-less tunnel car washes..
    Noting that we seldom use touchless washes unless Accumulatorette is traveling...they must not use the tenacious binders in our area, everything cleans off easily enough without the Special Super Products that some say you need. Reading the stuff on Automotive International`s website you`d think the stuff sticks like glue.

I need to explain this term "Ermine White" ..
    Heh heh, gee, don`t people know such stuff these days? And no, I`m not forgetting City People either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Noting that we seldom use touchless washes unless Accumulatorette is traveling...they must not use the tenacious binders in our area, everything cleans off easily enough without the Special Super Products that some say you need. Reading the stuff on Automotive International`s website you`d think the stuff sticks like glue.
    Accumulator:
    The binder "stuff" in Northeast Wisconsin (Brown County to be specific) IS like glue. They use a pre-treater/binder liquid they put down IF a light snow or icy mix is going to fall. But the binder, while good for de-icing and keeping expensive calcium chloride on bridges and overpasses, is pure evil (brown) on vehicles.

I think, and this is JUST my opinion and observation, that NOTHING sticks to your vehicles is because your use of Finish-Kare`s FK1000P wax that REALLY is a plastic injection or fiberglass mold release wax "modified" for automotive use. That one statement about your local`s binders not sticking speaks volumes about FK1000P value as a winter wax on winter-driven vehicles.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Yeah, since childhood with M16, I always did lean towards LSPs with some Mold Release connection in their background And yeah#2 it never ceases to amaze me how that FK1000P will release contamination. Maybe they *do* use those binders in my area, but if so it`s simply not an issue for us.

BUT note that he A8 wears OCW maintained with IUDJ as a Drying Aid, and *it* sheds [everything] almost as well as the Tahoe! Well, emphasis on the "almost" but it`s sure not bad.

Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah, i`ve forgot how bad it can be during winter but yesterday night i`ve remembered it 100%. if i would have driven an RWD I wouldn`t be here now for sure

Post Thanks / Like

Yourne- Welcome to Autopia!

Funny you mentioned the RWD...much as I like our 4WD/AWD vehicles in the winter (both always with snowtires, of course), some of the BEST winter drivers I`ve ever had were RWD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information