Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow brushes?

Post Thanks / Like

Snow brushes?

It`s that time of year, so any recommendations for quality snow removal brushes that don`t scratch the car? Any to stay away from?

GTA-ish (North of Toronto but close enough to see the smog)
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Snow brushes?

Switches to a snow-joe last year and I`ll say it`s causing less harm than the brushes used to. That said, if it`s touching, it`s scratching
    M
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The key is to leave a thin layer of snow on the paint. Even with the best tool you are pushing around grit under the snow.
    Likes trashmanssd, Don, Frankf, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The key is to leave a thin layer of snow on the paint. Even with the best tool you are pushing around grit under the snow.
    THAT. PERIOD.

Unfortunate Reality Check: I can`t help but think, awful as it sounds to me that there are certain conditions that simply must be met for a vehicle to remain Autopian despite winter use. Maybe those conditions aren`t in the cards for some folks and you gotta know when to say "oh well.." When I was in that boat I simply used what I thought of as "disposable vehicles" and didn`t worry much about functionally-insignificant cosmetic issues. Nobody IRL notices/cares anyhow, well...except *you* Funny thing was, those "abused and neglected beaters" were often great, did the job, did NOT cause stress, and again...nobody else thought they were abused and neglected; when I sold them the buyers were *always favorably impressed* with the same cosmetics that bugged me.

Post Thanks / Like

If you live where it snows, your DD should be white or silver lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBM View Post
    If you live where it snows, your DD should be white or silver lol!
    Silver for sure, it matches the grey of the road grime. White turns a nasty color!

Post Thanks / Like

They used to sell the Oxo Twister snow brush here at the PBMG stores, not sure if they do anymore, but you can find it at Amazon (not sure if it`s still legal to post links here). I believe they have a telescoping version now. Not the perfect brush, but it has flagged bristles. But listen to Accumulator and others about the dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    This is correct, other option (Depending on your laws for idleing) heat up the car and then blow off the snow with air (Masterblaster or Leaf blower). The problem I have with leaving a layer on is that it endangers others. I got smashed in the windshield last night because some @$$ did not clean his roof at all. If it`s local it`s one thing but anytime your going over 45mph you owe to the guy behind you to atleast clean off the roof.

Personally the best method is blowoff or push the top layer off, then spray de-icer (Ex.1Z Estau), let it sit for 5 mins then blow it off or push it off. You can also use ONR when you push off the debris to act as not only QD/WW but it also acts as lube to float the debris. Always turn on your defrosters before you scrap stuff off it helps a ton.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Snowjoe or equivalent. I will use a brush on glass only

Post Thanks / Like

I have Window scrapers that have Boar`s Hair Brushes opposite the scraper side. The BHB part will pass a CD-test, but only if I test it wet with shampoo solution. Used dry it mars and of course if any dirt gets between it and the paint that dirt will cause marring too. So even when using those on the glass, we have to be *EXTREMELY* careful that we don`t touch the paint.

I will admit that I use the SnoBrum (?sp? I hate those cutesy spellings..) and the SnowJoe on rentals, and maybe on service loaners depending on the vehicle in question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    This is correct, other option (Depending on your laws for idleing) heat up the car and then blow off the snow with air (Masterblaster or Leaf blower). The problem I have with leaving a layer on is that it endangers others. I got smashed in the windshield last night because some @$$ did not clean his roof at all. If it`s local it`s one thing but anytime your going over 45mph you owe to the guy behind you to atleast clean off the roof.
    A good point, but the 1/4 layer left usually slides off as I back out of the driveway anyway (thanks to slick paint!). But even if there is some left, that thin layer isn`t going to do anything to another car except maybe get their windshield dirty. I see plenty of SUVs and big trucks dumping full on mattress sized loads of snow and the cops never do anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Did not see this mentioned but if not garage or you are leaving it out on snowfall, try to give it a carwash prior...

I know it`s moot point if it will just get road dirty.
    But if we are talking snowfall accumulation, the shear weight of a clean panel does wonders as opposed to gritty paint. And or you know how the snow just slides off, due to the incline of the panels and just the heat of the engine. I prefer to have less grit on the panel and the heavy snowfall ontop of the hood.
    Neighbors think I`m crazy when I`m washing right before a huge snowfall....

Post Thanks / Like

5 years ago I bought one of those Snow Joe`s and have yet to use it. Being made from styrofoam I really didn`t like the idea of dragging that across the paint. I would rather take my chances with a brush.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

The key with the snow joe is you use it to push the snow. It should never touch the paint. The hard part is not sliding the snow all over the car. Its all a best effort operation.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had good luck with this brush from OXO--the head swivels 90` so you can use it to pull snow or sweep snow. The brush ends are feathered so they are very soft.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...20snow%20brush
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information