Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you clay or do you use a decontamination product?

KBS cavity coater? Never heard of it?

I also found a 24” nozzle that can attach to the top of a spray can. This would be great for inside the frame.

We also have a product called rust check. You can purchase it in cans or go to a dealer and they will spray it down.

So. Since I’m crazy, I’d probably end up doing as much frame internals myself and then I would send it to rust check to have them do the rest with their equipment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- Heh heh, you don`t know from KBS and I don`t know from Rust Check!

Google-fu up KBScoatings dot com to see their Cavity Coater, impressed me in all the right ways and they have an extended nozzle (as does Eastwood for their Frame Coater).

The only thing that immediately concerns me about the Rust Check is that IME some stuff that`s available in both "bulk cans for Pro sprayers" and aerosols is *MUCH* better in the former version than the latter. (The Eastwood Black HD Anti-rust is an exception, well..sort of).

What seems a bit tricky is finding something that`ll wick/migrate down into pinch-welds/etc. while still being durable and thick enough to provide an effective barrier. Well, I guess the *really* tricky thing might be applying it properly....

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- OK, I just looked up Rust Check. Sounds like, well...every other Rustproofing outfit but/and that`s intended as a judgement-neutral observation not a criticism. Maybe I didn`t look carefully enough, but I didn`t see any Salt Spray figures or other such quantified info, nor any approvals from major automakers/etc. and that "about one hour" application time must be some kind of typo as a good rustproofing job will *always* take a lot longer than that.

Eh, I hate to sound all cynical or otherwise be a [jerk], but website is clearly targeting people who don`t know much about Rustproofing. If you go that route, I`d be there to supervise and before agreeing to the work I`d want to ask some (perhaps indelicate ) questions.

Not saying it`s no good (if you like the amber-look), just that it wouldn`t be my choice. FWIW, if I wanted the "amber/beige/etc.-look" I`d find somebody who uses (and was trained by) AutoInt/ValuGard.

If I decide to have the Tahoe or Crown Vic done, I`m gonna do the parts that I want nice with the Eastwood Black HDAR and then, under close supervision, have a ValuGard-certified place do *ONLY* the places I tell `em to do, the way I tell `em to do it, with *LOTS* of masking/etc. ("no, don`t just spray it and clean off the overspray later, do it this way...here, I`ll show you..).

Post Thanks / Like

I would be the one to spend a weekend on the creeper and a spray bottle filled with LPS and go to town if this Jeep thing comes a reality.

I wouldn’t just let someone do the truck first. I’d do the majority of the work followed by their products.

Everyone swears by Krown up here but every test panel I’ve ever seen with LPS comes out looking amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- I`ll be interested to hear what you decide!

Heh heh, I was really, *REALLY* tempted to call about a VW wagon I liked but people here prompted me to reconsider...the current vehicles really *might* be the last ones we have! You`re too young for that kind of thinking, so I kinda hope you get it and, if nothing else, know first-hand what you think of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you brother! I think and re-think everything. It’s a killer lol.

I’m still trying to complete the mustang project- I’ve got a LOT of parts coming for it.

Finishing up the suspension on it with just about every piece available from Maximum Motorsports.

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- Heh heh, my Inner Old Guy wants to say "finish that Fox body first" Yeah, MM is the [stuff] for the suspensions on those, huh? Oh man, could I go nuts with a project like that...

That was another thing that got me off that VW wagon, the Crown Vic has been sitting here unfinished forever (and the S8 and the Jag are mothballed too) as I just don`t have the time/motivation to [mess] with such stuff at present (keeping the dailies nice is plenty, thanks). As I finally told my wife, having an additional vehicle just won`t make my life better no matter what it is...already/still have too many already.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll be honest, it’s a lot of work. I sometimes forget it’s in the garage and kinda don’t even wanna look at it.

We’ve had he front end off of it twice. To clean up and remove that rust check stuff I mentioned above earlier ^^^

However, the end results were amazing. It was like unwrapping a greasy present lol!!

IMG_2768.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Question to bring this back up from the dead l again-

After Iron X and a clay mitt- is an alcohol bath needed? I ask because to use the clay mitt, one has to use a clay lubricant- and the residue from this will remain on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t use IPA for that. But then I don`t use IPA for much at all, unlike many here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post

After Iron X and a clay mitt- is an alcohol bath needed? I ask because to use the clay mitt, one has to use a clay lubricant- and the residue from this will remain on the surface.

I have not used it myself but will order this soon. Maybe someone can chaim in on how it`s as a claylube? It`s McKees 37 N-914 I thinking about. It`s seems like it has great lubrication in it. Dilute it in 1:128 as a claylube to use with the clay mitt. Then dilute it in 1:8 to do a prep wipe. I really like the thought about it don`t have any glossenhancer or wax and protection polymers in it. I would use a panel wipe product as the have some lubrication in them that evaporate off after wipe it off.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mcke...l#.WrgY6GGew1I
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn`t hurt to go over the paint with some sort of panel wipe. I follow up with Eraser after claying with Immolube as Immolube leaves residue behind.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Eraser ?

Post Thanks / Like

Eraser ?

Carpro eraser... its a panel wipe product. Takes off any polishing oils or residue from other products. Leaves paint 100% bare
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that sounds nice. Almost like ISO wipes

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information